Extra Virgin Coconut oil VS Normal Coconut Oil

mikimix

What is actually the difference??

I just bought a big jar of Extra Virgin Coconut oil and it doesn't smell anywhere near as strong as the normal coconut oil I had. The ingredients say it's 100% pure extra virgin coconut oil so it's ok right?

Esthi777

I think one is refined and the other isn't. Maybe others will chime in. I think they are both ok to use on the hair.

miss stress

Extra Virgin is wht u want. The other one probably smells stronger because of added scent. But for sealing purposes, either will work

againstallodds

Did a search for you:

Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...ence-between-virgin-extra-virgin-coconut-oil/

Overview
Coconut oil has become associated with an increasing range of health benefits. Dr Bruce Fife, author of "The Coconut Oil Miracle," considers it the healthiest oil on earth, especially as an aid to reducing cardiovascular risk and helping with weight loss. As more brands hit the shelves, consumers are increasingly having to choose between virgin coconut oil and extra virgin coconut oil. Frankly, the distinction is meaningless.

Virgin Coconut Oil
Virgin coconut oil a product pressed from fresh coconut meat by purely mechanical means. In comparison, non-virgin oils may come from dried coconut meat, extracted with chemicals and then bleached to sanitize the oils. The bleaching becomes necessary because the dried meat, or copra, may be stored in poor conditions.

Extra Virgin
Unlike olive oil -- whose "extra virgin" label denotes a better quality product and commands a higher price -- no such distinction exists in the coconut oil industry. The addition of an "extra virgin" label to virgin coconut oil remains a marketing gimmick, rather than an indication of the oil quality.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/2...irgin-extra-virgin-coconut-oil/#ixzz1WMA9189E

HTH!

southerncitygirl

@RarityFluttershy

and chemical solvents change the nutritional value and nix the healing benefits. always when buying oils make sure they are at least one of the following:
virgin
extra virgin
expeller pressed
cold pressed
raw
organic
unrefined

this applies whether you cook with them or use them for hair and skin. hth.

i also forgot to add that they use lot of heat to extract the oil if its not extracted via one of the methods above.:yep:

Last edited: