Coconut oil made my hair TOO soft. HELP! :(

didismirage4

So I accidentally air dried on Tuesday in two afro puffs. There's a new Vitamin Shoppe where I live so I picked up some organic unrefined coconut oil (Nutiva) and put some in. It was awesome, my curls looked like they had something to drink. They were soft and fluffy but defined. Well, me being over excited put (more like DUMPED) coconut oil in my Silicon Mix and my favorite DC (BioInfusion). Okay...... so I cowashed yesterday with them and then used more coconut oil to seal the water, then put shea butter to seal. I'm a fine-haired natural so I have no idea why I thought coocnut oil would be light on me.

Anyway yesterday my hair looked so horrible and soaked. My hair is WAY too soft and I have NO curl definition at all. I have curls, waves, and straight pieces and now I have a big frizz ball. Granted my hair is very soft, but it's too too soft. I look like I have a huge brillo pad.

PLEASE! What can I do to get all this coconut oil out of my head! I'm thinking the only way is to clarify? I didn't want to have to do this because I have color. But the oil has faded my color sooooooooooo dark :(:nono::nono::nono:

PPGbubbles

Well if your hair is too soft perhaps you need some type of protein.

And usually a simple shampoo will get any excess oil out... I wouldnt think you would need to clarify

didismirage4

Well if your hair is too soft perhaps you need some type of protein.

And usually a simple shampoo will get any excess oil out... I wouldnt think you would need to clarify

I was wondering if I should do that since a good egg/yogurt mix gets my curls back when I've leaned too much on the moisture side. My hair loves protein.

lamaria211

i have heard so much about the wonders of coconut oil but it really doesnt seem to do anything for my hair but coat it, i do like to mix it in my conditioners though

didismirage4

i have heard so much about the wonders of coconut oil but it really doesnt seem to do anything for my hair but coat it, i do like to mix it in my conditioners though

I know that some people find coconut oil better when they mix it with their cons, DC's, or moisturizers. Some use it just as a prepoo. I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way for my hair. I think it's a great oil, but just needs tinkering for individual preference. I think maybe I will use it with DC but not any time soon :/

chebaby

im a fine haired natural too and i love coconut oil. my hair is easily too soft so i do protein treatment once a week. use something medium like giovanni nutrafix or pre poo with ORS hair mayo.

shunemite

lol I know what happened. This happened to me about two (?) months ago. I happily dunked my hair with some avocado oil (penetrates as well) before I left the house and about 4 hours later while running my errands I looked into the car's side view mirror and to my horror my curls were flat! I'm fine haired as well. The coconut oil penetrated your entire hair shaft and weighed it down. Just wash it our. Fine hair prefers to be coated with a non-penetrating oil, and if DC'd with a penetrating oil like olive or coconut very little. That's it.

didismirage4

lol I know what happened. This happened to me about two (?) months ago. I happily dunked my hair with some avocado oil (penetrates as well) before I left the house and about 4 hours later while running my errands I looked into the car's side view mirror and to my horror my curls were flat! I'm fine haired as well. The coconut oil penetrated your entire hair shaft and weighed it down. Just wash it our. Fine hair prefers to be coated with a non-penetrating oil, and if DC'd with a penetrating oil like olive or coconut very little. That's it.

Thank you soooooooooo much for the explanation! I'm going to use Pureology shampoo and do an egg protein then DC after.:grin:

Barbara

Princess

Is almond oil or sweet almond oil a penetrating oil?

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I think a shampoo and protein DC should do ya :) and I think sweet almond oil is a penetrating oil.