C'mon on ladies HELP ME OUT!!!

CJ22

For those of you who went from neck length or shoulder length to mid back or waist length....how did you do it? How long did it take? What steps, methods, and products did you use?

Carrie A

You just have to stick around and experiment. There's no one way to grow hair. For me letting go of the relaxer, protective styling and time were the main factors in getting to this point. I've tried many different lines but that's more for preference of feel not for any super magic properties of the product. I've been growing for four years.
I still have a lot to learn about my hair..........

Carrie A

CJ22 Wait I see you just started a similar thread yesterday. What's your hair story and what are you using right now?

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
CJ22 I know you're new and excited and wanted WL hair yesterday-- we've all been there and know how you feel... but you have to relax girl! :lol:

No one person is gonna have all of the answers for you, you just have to experiment and see what works for you.

When I first started out, I kept it simple:

- Moisturize daily

- Bun daily

- Wear a satin bonnet to bed

- Shampoo and dc once a week

- Stretch relaxers

That routine alone got me from NL to APL in about a year or so.

Don't try to rush things, keep it simple and you will see results. :yep:

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
#1--no heat
#2--keep hair sufficiently moisturized
#3--avoid other types of damage such as that from friction or rough handling
#4--trim as needed, but avoid scissor happy stylists

The rest, such as protective styles, and quality products is only going to enhance your results. :yep:

Nonie

CJ22, you'll go crazy trying to figure out how to grow long hair from the forum. Too many regimens, too many bandwagons...you'll end up getting so frustrated.

My advice is to read a book that lays down the basics for good hair care first, then use the forum as reference for fine-tuning your regimen. There are a lot of books that have helped people here. Some are written by people who are members of the forum and grew their hair long and now share their tips; others are books that used to be posted somewhere on the forum (I can't remember where that is, but I'll post at least two; I personally used one of them).

First here are two books by forum members (You can get their album links--and PW where applicable--in their profiles by clicking on their names in the mention links):

@sisterslick's book:
The Science of Black Hair

@Chicoro's book:
Grow It: How to Grow Afro-Textured Hair to Maximum Lengths in the Shortest Time (Volume 1)
Chicoro's Blog: http://beautifybitbybit-chicoro.blogspot.com/

Here are some books that have been read/discussed on the forum and have helped many others find their way in the confusing world of good haircare:

Ultra Black Hair Growth II 2000 Edition

Beautiful Black Hair: Real Solutions to Real Problems--A Step by Step Instructional Guide

Natural Woman / Natural Hair: A Hair Journey, Hairstyles and Hairstories From the Front with simple step-by-step instructions on taking care of your natural hair

Curly Like Me

Going-Natural: How to Fall in Love with Nappy Hair

FOUND! The Lost Owners Manual for Growing African Hair

And there are so many more! Just do a search on an online bookstore for books on "black hair" and you usually can browse through the books on a site like Amazon to see which book is clear and easy for you to understand and implement it's suggestions.

The reviews on Amazon also can help you decide if the books you consider will address the questions you have, but there's no WRONG book. Whatever book you get will enlighten you in stuff you didn't know. And then LHCF will fill in the gaps and you'll soon feel in control.

Happy Hair Growing.