Close to Bra Strap? Come on let's GROW!!!

alibi

hair bored
Close to Bra Strap? Come on let\'s GROW!!!

I wanted to start a thread for those who are close to bra strap, so we can check in and encourage each other!
It's a good way to stay motivated, b/c it's easy to get discouraged when you're almost there!
For those close to bra strap, please check in and answer the following questions:

1. How far are you from bra strap?

2. What is your hair type?

3. Are you permed/natural/transitioning?

4. What is your current routine?

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth?

6. When are you striving to reach your goal?

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far?

This should be a fun thread! If you've already reached bra strap and beyond, please check in anyway and let us know how to get there!

alibi

hair bored
Re: Close to Bra Strap? Come on let\'s GROW!!!

Most of my answers are already in my sig, but here goes!

About 4 inches

Not sure, I think 3b

Transitioning

I wash once a week with an SLS-free shampoo, and condition w/ Pantene Smooth and Sleek. I air dry in a pony tail, then I flat iron with my ceramic flat iron, using a little Kemi Oil at the roots. I wrap every night and repeat my wash every Sunday.

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth?

No, but I am interested in MSM and Surge

I hope to be there by May '03

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far?

Wrapping and air drying. I used to use heat almost every day, and when I stopped, which has been in the last year, my hair really took off!

Sal

I think about 3-4 inches or so
4A
My hair is relaxed
I wet my hair everyday/co washes
I shampoo once or twice a month
and I deep condition every week
yes, msm and brewer's yeast
I don't plan it so I don't be discouraged if I don't make it
Wetting it every day, taking care of my ends and TLC

pooh123

1. How far are you from bra strap? 2 inches

2. What is your hair type? 4b

3. Are you permed/natural/transitioning? relaxed

4. What is your current routine? following the vaseline method

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? flaxseed oil (two teaspoons per day) and PP vitamins for the Hair pill (one per day)

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? Feb04

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? keeping my ends tucked away and moisturized, less manipulation

pooh123

26INCHHAIR

1. How far are you from bra strap? 6 inches(kindof alot)

2. What is your hair type? 3c/ 4a relaxed

3. Are you permed/natural/transitioning? Relaxed

4. What is your current routine? i have alot of new growth now so, I cornrow my hair for 1 week and then moisturize with water olive oil, ginseng miracle oil, and carrot oil. I also use methylated spirit on my scalp to prevent buildup and deep condition everyweek.

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? vitamin B-complex, vitamin C, womens oneaday but sometimes I forget

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? I would like to reach this goal by the end of nect spring or summerish

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? Care, and lots of moisture

CICI24

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
I wanted to start a thread for those who are close to bra strap, so we can check in and encourage each other!
It's a good way to stay motivated, b/c it's easy to get discouraged when you're almost there!
For those close to bra strap, please check in and answer the following questions:

4 inches
4a
relaxed
braids for 1 month, cornrows 1 month, shampoo condition every 2 weeks, massage amla or indian castor oil in scalp nightly, and spray braids with s-curl 2x a week
Perfect food supplement in powder, biotin 9 mg, 4 mg msm
I hope to achieve this by my next touch-up March 9
Personally I think my hair growth has been slow, because of breakage. Which is why I figured I would have more success leaving my hair alone for a month at a time.
Supplements definitely help, and leaving my hair alone.

This should be a fun thread! If you've already reached bra strap and beyond, please check in anyway and let us know how to get there!

[/ QUOTE ]

jainygirl

***3inches (i think this is the first time in my life that 3 inches just seemed like too much
)

***4a/b definitely more b than a i think

***Relaxed --not transitioning

***Wash once a week with CON w/ green and yellow label
***Deep Condition w/ Queen Helene Cholesterol after shampoo
***Blowdry w/ comb attachment starting with hair underneath and working my way up so i don't use too much heat by trying to blowdry all my hair at once.
***oil my scalp(yeah that's what i said
) w/ UltraSheen Anti-Itch Hairdress with Tea Tree Oil after blowdrying so my scalp doesnt itch and get dry from the heat.
***Put in a scrunchie and go

***No

***April 1st 2004 (hopefully I'M not the fool
)

***Not using alot of heat, using seamless combs and leaving my hair alone.

DDHair

1. How far are you from bra strap? 4-5 inches (I think)

2. What is your hair type? 4A

3. Are you permed/natural/transitioning? Transitioning

4. What is your current routine? Braids. Spray with Gueye Antiseptic Braid Spray and Surge daily and occasional Gueye oil

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? Biotin (every now and then), Surge, and Gueye Products (Renu Herbs)

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? March or May 2004 (preferably March, my birthday)

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? Scalp Massages and lots of moisture. Plus TLC.

Karonica

When I stretch out my hair when it's dry, I fall about an inch short from bra-strap.

4a

relaxed

Do whatever my hair wants me to do. I have no conservative regimen.

Centrums

Hopefully by the end of next summer (my goal is to hit below my bra-strap.)

Vitamins, water, oiling my scalp, etc.

Chipmunk

Approx. 4 inches.

4b

Natural

I keep my hair braided. I try to wash at least once a week, and spray some type of leave in conditioner in my hair daily.

Yes, I use Surge to promote hair growth. I also taking vitamins. MSM, biotin,inositol, l-cysteine, selenium & vitamin e.

I hope to reach my goal by March 2004.

I believe that the biggest factor contributing to my hair growth is the vitamins biotin, msm & inositol.

Victorian

old head

1. about 4-5 inches I believe. I haven't actually measured

2. 4a with some b in there too

3. relaxed

4. Poo once a week, con only 1 or 2 times a week. Deep condition with every wash (Ion Moisturizing Treatment). Airdry. Moisturize daily. Bun Challenge.

5. I haven't taken them in over a week
But I have Biotin & B-Complex; Flax/EPO; Solgar Hair, Skin and Nails.

6. By then end of the bun challenge (august04) I want to have a nice, even bra-strap length. I'm trying to get all my hair the same length. My bangs just seem to keep hanging around (they're about to my chin now)

7. Staying away from heat and treating my ends like treasure

3 inches

4a/b

relaxed

Washing my hair twice a week with pantene moisturizing shampoo and smooth and sleek conditioner. Every other wash I deep condition using LeKair cholesteral (peach colored cholesteral). After washing I set my hair on magnetic rollers and the style lasts until the next wash. I moisturize my hair using a mixture of tea tree oil, hot 6 oil and wild groth oil.

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? I've always taken a multi-vitamin and vitamin C tables, but since 11/25 I've started taking biotin and a hair vitamin from wal-mart. I've used it before and got excellent results. I'm also considering adding MSM.

By June of 2004

Not using direct heat on your hair (ie. blow dryers, curling irons), scalp massages, and drinking lots of water!

ElizaBlue

1. How far are you from bra strap? 5 inches

2. What is your hair type? 4B

4. What is your current routine? daily con washes and/or rinsing, baggie technique

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? Surge,Bargello but mostily(MSM,biotin,B-5),WGO,EVOO,
Profective Hair Strengther, castor oil

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? May 2004

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? No heat, daily washing/rinsing, no manipulation, baggie technique

Lindy

About 3 inches in the back but my sides aren't even shoulder length yet!!

I think 3 b/c

I'm relaxed

I shampoo once a week, deep condition w/heat cap every wash, hot oil treatment every other, mild protein every other -- roller-setting one week, and air-drying (either in a ponytail or bun, or a twist-out) the next week.

Yes, for the past month and a half I've been taking Biotin, MSM and B5.

I had hoped to be at bra-strap by now, but my scissor-happy stylist squashed that!! Now I'm hoping to be comfortably at bra-strap by April 2004.

Air-drying every other week and not ever using the curling iron or blow-dryer. Also, moisturizing my hair daily (especially the ends).

[/ QUOTE ]

BamaFro

Great thread ! ! !

------> I'd say I'm about 4 or 5 inches away from bra strap length.

-----> Beautiful coils/spirals the size of an old skool yellow #2 pencil. The texture is rather fine. Loves to frizz up.

------> I'm au naturale.

------> Shampoo with Aveda Sap Moss Shampoo once a week . . . conditioner wash with Mane 'N Tail Conditioner throughout the week. Use a dab of Mane 'N Tail with a few drops of jojoba oil as a leave-in. I use Profective Daily Leave-in Strengthener for braid outs.

-----> I'm only taking Folic Acid for the moment now.

-----> I'd love to reach my goal by May of 2004 so I'll be lookin' oh so fly for graduation, but who knows. It's all in God's hands.

------> Letting go of the relaxer and realizing how beautiful my natural coils are. Experimenting with different products . . . just getting back in touch with the natural me.

DatJerseyDyme

* About 2-3 inches dry, 1 inch when wet

* 4a

* relaxed

* M and W CO w/ Humectress and Lust
F Therappe, Humectress, Lust (protein when needed)

* NO

* Feb 04

* Keeping ends protected

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
Sal said:
4A
My hair is relaxed

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great thread Anayapooh! I'm encouraging you ladies from the sidelines (encouraging myself too - I'm not that far away from brastrap, about 6 inches away!)!

Sal - Please tell us your hair growth experiences with brewer's yeast. How much are you taking each day and what brand do you use? Any side effects like weight gain with it? Thank you!

nebula24

Three inches from bra strap as of last touch up Oct 4, 2003.

4a/b

permed

Shampoo and deep condition weekly, air dry, moisturize with S Curl, vaseline on ends.

I take Barley Green, beet root powder, fresh carrot juice, increased protein, MSM, biotin, EFAs. Started using Surge on Nov. 28, 2003.

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? By next touch-up (April 2004).

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? eliminating heat, moisturizing, taking supplements and drinking water

ChasingBliss

1. How far are you from bra-strap?
2 inches
Bet. 3c/4a I guess
Relaxed
Surge, S Curl, oil, water spritz daily.
Wash every 4th day. One year Bun Chal. No Heat ever.
5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair
product to promote hair growth
Vit. Shoppe's HSN multi
Vit Shoppe msm powder
flax seed oil 1000mg
cod liver oil
vit c 500 mg
Vit Shoppe papaya enzymes (for proper digestion)
Surge
hope to see healthy full brastrap by July 04
7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has
contributed to your hair growth thus far?
Being Completely faithful to the bun EVERYDAY,
No heat EVER
Keeping scalp clean and ends moisturized.
Adaptation of healthy eating habits
Drinking almost a gallon of water a day.
Spacing out relaxers to 16 weeks apart

B

Bublnbrnsuga

1.) I am about 4-5 inches away from bra strap length.

2.) I don't know!! In some areas,my hair is curly,wavy,naturally straight, and frizzy.

3.)I am currently transitioning. Last perm was October 26,2002.

4.)My current routine involves mixing teatree oil and olive oil together and evenly distributing it on my scalp.I leave a plastic cap on my head for about 15 minutes,then I massage my scalp. I wash my hair every 3 days with Lisa Akabari's clarifying shampoo and Creme of Nature. I deep condition my hair with Lisa's deep conditioner. My staple products include Carol's Daughter and 911 leave in creme conditioner.

5.)One a day maximum multivitamin

6.)I hope to achieve full bra strap length by April 2004.

7.)I stopped perming.I also stopped using hair holders with metal clasps in the center and even the ouchless bands. I stopped using bobby pins to keep my hair in place. I recently discovered Good Hair Day pins and they are awesome for holding my buns together. I recently clipped my ends myself and I hope that the moisturizing of the ends and protective styles will minimize split ends.

lilchanel

about 2 inches

4a/b

relaxed

deep conditioning, no heat, EVOO

GNC women's Ultra Mega (mulitvitamin)

April 04

dusting my ends after each relaxer

Chimma

1/2 inch in the longest part of my hair, but sides are just a little past shoulder length

4a/b

transitioning for a year

deep condition once a week, the bun usually (which i believe is why the sides are so short), rare heat (except today when i hot combed all my hair), spritzing with water when it is dry, conditioner wash every three days approximately and creame of nature wash once a week, combing hair when wet gently, probably getting off the relaxer

No

It depends on whether I do a big chop. I think that I will not, and so I hope to have comfortable reached my goal for all of my hair including the sides by this time next year. My real goal though is to have beautiful long natural hair by June of 2006

probably the lack of heat on my hair and the fact that i usually wear a bun. i think that after i stopped relaxing this year i got better growth as well.

Leshia

About 3 inches - don't know if I'd call that "close" to bra strap. Grrrrrr.

4A

Relaxed

What routine? *blank stare* Ohhh, you mean my c/o wash, surge, scurl and vaseline???

Surge, protective styling.

Before next summer; i.e. by March/April timeframe.

Definitely MOISTURE and Protective styling.

Sal

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sal said:
4A
My hair is relaxed

[/ QUOTE ]

What a great thread Anayapooh! I'm encouraging you ladies from the sidelines (encouraging myself too - I'm not that far away from brastrap, about 6 inches away!)!

Sal - Please tell us your hair growth experiences with brewer's yeast. How much are you taking each day and what brand do you use? Any side effects like weight gain with it? Thank you!

[/ QUOTE ]
I have been taking brewer's yeast in combination with msm and I have about 2 inches of new growth in the back and a little bit more than an inch in the front (my last touch up was 7 october)
The back of my head grows faster
I didn't experience any weight gain

The brand that I take is from a store here in Belgium so I don't think you have it over there but I think any brand will do
I take 9 pills a day but it doesn't say hw much mg that is
I hope this was helpful

Angelicus

1. How far are you from bra strap? 3 1/8 inches

2. What is your hair type? 4a/b

4. What is your current routine? Co-wash every other day, slather ends with vaseline and put in bun.

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? I take B-complex and a Multi Vitamin (for overall health).

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? May 1-3 2004

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? Moisture, protection, and leaving it alone, not worrrying about it everyday.

KinksnCurlz

1. How far are you from bra strap? approx. 2 1/2"

2. What is your hair type? not to sure but I think 2b/c

4. What is your current routine? Wash and deep condition twice a week followed by rollerset and wrap. I wear a daily bun (except now b/c i am currently sporting a weave). I use creme of nature shampoo (excellent at detangling) and mostly keracare products (conditioner, leave-in, oils, etc).

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? I take GNC Ultramega Woman sporadically. I tried the ultranourish hair but it broke me out.

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? My first goal is brastrap and hopefully that will be reached before my next birthday, 7/22. My second goal is waistlength and I give myself another 2 years (2006) before I reach that

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? Finding my first hair board and then finding this one. All of the ladies that I have come in contact with are so knowledgable about hair health. And wearing protective styles every day has definately helped.

LondonDiva

Great thread!!!!!

One part of my hair is already there, but i won't class this as bra strap yet until the rest catches up where a lot more of it is at that length.

I have a 4b hair type. I am relaxed. When natural I had a very thick tightly coiled pattern.

Permed

Very simple, yet effective. Wash with a moisturising shampoo. Porosity conditioner for 5 mins, Organics detangling shea butter on damp hair. I put my hair in a wet bun in the shower with 3 satin scrunchie. In the morning the top is dry and the ends are wet. I take it down, moisturise with profectiv products and brush back into a protective bun. Every night I spray scalp, hairline and kitchen area with Surge. At 2.5 weeks post relaxer I have regrowth that I'd normally achieve around week 5-6. I relax approx every 4 weeks now instead of 6.

I take Puritan's Pride Biotin, but I'm not consistent with it to say it's attributed to my hair growth for the past few months.

The bra strap in the next 2 months, if the surge doesn't let me down. Then it's the hard slog to waist length, but I WILL be satisfied with a length between bra and waist.

Ooooooh so many
The hair board
Patience
Knowledge
Good hair relaxer practices
Protective styling
Keeping the hair moisturised
Washing more than x1 a week
Determination. Sometimes I think I can never get to my goal due to never seeing anyone in my family with very long hair, but I believe the gene theory aside that it's possbile no matter what our hair types with some TLC and knowledge. The pictures of women like Peachtree, Caramela, Brownrelaxedhair etc reaffirm for me that it's possible.

shinyblackhair

1. How far are you from bra strap? 3 inches

2. What is your hair type? 3c

4. What is your current routine? weekly shampoos with either Kenra Moisturizing or Cream of Nature. Deep condition weekly with either LeKair or QH Cholesteral, Kenra Moisturizing, NT Mega Moisture, or Motions Silk Protein. I use aphoGHEE 2 min reconstructure a couple of times a month. I co only wash a few times a week as well. I wear my hair in a bun everyday. Cover at night with a silk scarf. I moisturize daily using Biolage Leavin Tonic or Motion Nourish, Scurl. Oil ends with EVO oil. I also use QP mango butter and Recovery and somtimes Motions oil moisturizer.

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? I am currently taking a daily multi, msm, cod liver oil and will be adding biotin and possibly brewers yeast

6. When are you striving to reach your goal? May or June would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? Little to no heat, protective styles and keeping hair well moisturized

hunnybunny81

1. How far are you from bra strap? 2.5 inches!

2. What is your hair type? 4A

3. Are you permed/natural/transitioning?-Permed

4. What is your current routine?-Wash once a week, deep condition for 30 minutes-1 hr, air dry, then flat iron and wrap, which lasts me until my next wash

5. Are you taking supplements or using a particular hair product to promote hair growth? nope

By May/June 2003

7. What has been the biggest factor that you think has contributed to your hair growth thus far? weekly washing and conditioning, and using heat sparingly.

mly3e

The comb is stuck.

4 inches

4A

Relaxed

Wash Once a week. Deep condition each time with heat. TRY to conditioner wash once a week. Air dry. I'm on the bun and moon maintenance challenges. Ocassionally do the baggie method.

MSM, Multis, water

March 2004

MSM, messages, conditioner washes.