Castor Oil Users...

wyldcurlz

I have some questions for you. I just bought a bottle of Castor Oil in an attempt to keep my ends healthy/delay split ends. But I don't know how LHCFs Castor Oil fans are using it...so I have a few questions.

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.)

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp?

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?)

4. How much of it should you use?

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?)

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent?

Thanks for your help! :D

GeorginaSparks

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better?
i use the one from walmart. i tried jamaican black castor oil but didnt see a difference. the walmart one is 1.99

2. How do you use your Castor Oil?
i use it to seal in moisture

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it?
no bad experiences. i have very fine strands and when applying it doesnt break my hair

i use a dime size or less

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? i use it only after washing or sometimes on my ends when i feel that its really dry

6. It kinda has a funny smell...the one i use has no smell

Thanks for your help!

bLackButtaFly

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I use Palm de Christi something castor oil, the light one from a health food store.

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I use mine as a sealer for my braids or twists. I've never tried it on my scalp

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) I thought this would be a problem too, but I only use it overnight, and it seeps into the hair, and leaves it well moisturized, not sticky

4. How much of it should you use? I use less than a dime size amount per twist, but I'm always frugal with products.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) I use it overnight, on my hair and face. Everytime I do twists, so like 2-3 times a week at the most on my hair, and everyday on my face

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? I don't know, I kinda like the smell:look: . bUt if you use it overnight you won't smell it in the morning.

lizjoseph

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I use Jamaican Black Castor Oil

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I mix it in with my Deep Conditoner which I use every time I shampoo (1x a week, not including co- washes) , as well as mixed in with my Boundless Tresses which is then applied to the scalp. I have also used it directly on the scalp, not too much though. Oh yeah, And I made my own leave in using diluted conditoner, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, and some Jamican Black Castor oil. I also use a small amount to seal in moisture after...well after I moisterize! :lol: Wow..I use it alot...Just don't put globs of it in your hair at any one time and you'll be fine.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) No bad experiences yet....

4. How much of it should you use? A Small amount. It shouldn't stick to your hair like vaseline or run down your neck. If it does, you've used to much.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) I mostly use it doing and after my washes as stated above. I also use it during the week when I apply my BT (every day or every other day depending on my laziness) since I already mixed some in.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? I'm sure an essential oil like peppermint, rosemary, or ylang ylang should take care of it. Since I usually mix it with other things, I ususally only get a faint whiff every so often.

Hope that helps!!!

taj

1. I have only used 1 brand, therefore I can’t comment on the others. I’m sure certain brands may be better a far as it being organic or 100% pure or natural. I use 100% pure castor oil by NOW and I love it.

2. I do either of the following use it by itself; use it as a sealer (by putting a crème on 1st then castor oil on top), mix it with a little olive oil, rosemary oil o jojoba oil. I apply it on both, scalp and ends. I do not use it as a sealer on the scalp only the ends, it would be too much. I haven’t applied it as a leave in or deep conditioner or heated it, but some people do.

3. No, I have not had a bad experience with it. The brand that I use by that NOW is not very thick or too gummy. Possibly a tad bit but that’s just the nature of the oil. If used as a mixture the consistency changes.

4. It depends on how you’re using it and if you’re using it as a mixture. It depends on how you’re using it, if you’re using it as a mixture and the amount that's required to maintain your hair type. I use a little because it lasts long in my hair. I also don't like my hair to feel heavy. I like it to have body and be bouncy.

5. I like to use a little on my ends nightly as a sealer. I apply it to my scalp every 3 days.

6. The brand that I use by NOW has no odor. I purchased it from a health store.

You’re Welcome! I hope this helps you!:)

Last edited:

sowhut

I am using the jamaican black castor oil as suggested by Darkempress, I've been using it for a month now. I think that its better to use the purest castor oil you can get your hands on. Meaning with little or no other products combined. Castor oil should be the first ingredient listed on your product of choice (in my opinion).

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp?
I use it to seal in moisture and on the last 2 inches of my hair. I dont mix it with anything just pour it in my hands and rub it together a little then apply.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?)
I have no bad experiences. I just use a dime sized amount. My hair is already thick and castor oil just makes it look even thicker.

About a dime sized amount

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?)
I use it daily on my ends. A dime sized amount in the night and in the morning i just run it through my ends lightly.

When I put it in at night, the smell is gone by the time i wake up. I think it smells worst to yourself than it does to others and even when i put it in during the day it doesnt take long for the smell to fade (within an half hours time).

cheetarah1980

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? I use 100% pure castor oil. The brand doesn't really matter.

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I use castor oil on the length of my hair, concentrating at the ends. Because it's very thick and gummy I mix it with coconut oil to make it more spreadable. A little goes a long way. I also mix a bit of castor oil into my conditioner to help with detangling.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) When I first started using castor oil I used a lot of it because I couldn't seem to spread it throughout my hair. It left a nasty residue on my strands. Once I learned to mix the castor oil with a thinner oil it and apply only to damp hair, it worked wonders for my dry hair.

4. How much of it should you use? A dime size drop is plenty.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) I use castor oil at least 4 days a week. I moisturize my hair with it and use it when I baggy in the evenings.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? Mix it with another oil and maybe some leave in conditioner. The scent is very easy to mask.

Divine Inspiration

I use Cold Pressed and Cold Processed Castor oil. I haven't tried any other kind.

I mix into my prepoo and my DC. I've never mixed it with a leave-in. I have applied it to my ends after washing, and it seems to work well at keeping my ends moist. To prepoo, I mix it with amla oil, honey and V05 S&C and warm the mix for about 35 seconds. I've never applied it to my scalp.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it?
No

I don't measure, but I'd guess I use about 1/4 of a cup.

I use it weekly when I wash.

Mine doesn't smell. I think the cold processed & cold pressed versions don't have the loud odor.

mscocoface

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I have used the JBCO and Cold press both do fine to me.

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I only use this on my ends during protective styles, twists or oil treatment. Don't use it with heat except the heating cap or conditioner cap and I have never had a reason to use it on my scalp.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) No adverse reation using this product.

4. How much of it should you use? Depends, handful for hot oil and like a lotion size for my ends after I have put some type of moisture on them even plain water before I seal it with CO is good.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) Also depends. Protective styling maybe once or twice a week, and I do oil treatments every 4-6 weeks.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? Have not noticed a smell but one of the essential oils I am sure you could add, like lemon, lavender or orange or a little peppermint.

locabouthair

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.)I would get the pure castor oil,either the clear one froma pharmacy or the jamaican one

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I don't apply any to my scalp even though i probably should. I do I use mine every night to seal in my moisturizer. it works well when I do that.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?)It is thick. I use jamaican castor oil, but i only use a little bit to seal in my moisture. i havent experienced anything bad with it

4. How much of it should you use? dont use much, just a little

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) i use it nightly, i would like to use it in the morning but i never have the time

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent?well since i use mine at night, the smell is gone by the morning

alexstin

wyldcurlz said:
I have some questions for you. I just bought a bottle of Castor Oil in an attempt to keep my ends healthy/delay split ends. But I don't know how LHCFs Castor Oil fans are using it...so I have a few questions.

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I buy hexane free castor oil from the health food store.
2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? It's in my homemade moisture spray so I use it up to 2x daily. I also use it to prepoo(usually mixed with something else)and DC. I oil my scalp with it occasionally as well.
3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) I don't usually wear my hair down but when I do it's usually curly so I don't think it makes that much of a difference with my hair.
4. How much of it should you use? Depends on what you're using it for. I use more when I'm prepooing or DC
5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) Daily it's in my homemade moisture spray.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? I've never been able to smell it on my hair. You can always mix it with something else.

Hope that helps!:)

dstdiva

1. i use the pharmacy brand.

2. i use mine after washing or after anytime i add moisture. sometimes i apply it to my dry ends.

3. no problems.

4. dime-sized amount

5. whenever i wash and anytime my hair feels dry.

6. the smell fades quickly. i apply in the morning sometimes.

ajargon02

wyldcurlz said:
I have some questions for you. I just bought a bottle of Castor Oil in an attempt to keep my ends healthy/delay split ends. ...so I have a few questions.

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.)
-I just use the castor oil from walmart. It's like $2 or something

2. How do you use your Castor Oil?
-mix it w/ a conditioner that has no "cones"
Do you mix it with a leave in?
-for me it acts as a leave in when I am wearing twists
Do you apply it to your ends only?
-nope just rub it in all over
Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment?
-yup, just pour in a cap or 2 full
Do you heat it?
-no never tried it. I don't think that it's needed. I just wrap my hair in a plastic bag/wrap or cap
Should you apply some to your scalp?Thanks for your help! :D[/quote]
-no my hair doesn't like that. Even if I did try it, I woudl cut it first with jojoba, or sweet almond oil and put it into a spray bottle to apply to scalp that way.

Thanks for your help! :D[/quote]
-nope

-A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY! I don't use much at all. Maybe 1/2-1 teaspoon unless I am doing a dc tx

-If it's summer and I am in twists, conditioner washing daily, then I will use it daily as a leave-in tx. Otherwise I will only use it as needed or once as week after washing my twists. I apply whenever, am/pm whenever.

- mine doesn't smell at all. I have used many a bottle, and they have never smelled. I don't know what's up. Hth :)

wyldcurlz

Could someone explain "sealing" the hair? I think I'm confused on it. From what I understand - if I apply a leave-in on my ends (like Elucence MBC or NTM) then I'd apply a small amount of Castor Oil?? Is that considered "sealing" in the moisturizer? (Do all moisturizers have to be sealed?)

I applied Castor Oil (straight from Wal-Mart pharmacy) a little more than a dime sized amount, emulsified it a little in between my palms then applied it to the last 3-4-inches of my hair. It was so gummy when I poured it from the bottle to my hands - and I'm wearing my hair down, so I was worried that it'd clog my pores and give me back or face breakouts. :lol: Silly, I know, but I have sensitive skin and everything breaks it out. But, to my surprise now that the day is almost over...my ends don't feel tacky or gummy. They feel pretty good. They're not tangled like they sometimes can be after a day of hair down. So far, so good with the castor oil. I'm still scared to use it on my scalp, though. The co-washes have helped me with scalp moisture, so I think I'll skip castor oiling my scalp.

(still don't believe folk make their kids drink this stuff! :barf:

Radianthealth

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I would go with pure castor oil. I use a version I found at the health food store and some I found at walmart in the laxative aisle. They both work the same

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I mix my castor oil with equal parts kids organics shea butter detangling moisturizing lotion. I also add castor oil to my deep conditioner twice per week.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) When I mix it with the kids organics shea butter datangling moisturizing lotion, it isn't as sticky.

4. How much of it should you use? I use about a quarter size amount of castor oil with my daily moisturizer. I use about a 1/4 cup with my deep conditioner.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) I am using it once per day and when I deep condition which is twice per week.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? My castor oil doesn't smell, but mixing it in with other products should get rid of any smell.

MissMusic

1. Will any Castor Oil do or are certain types better? (I saw an Allways Castor Oil cream, but Castor Oil itself was so far down on the listed ingredients, it didn't seem to matter.) I use cold pressed castor oil, have never tried any other kind.

2. How do you use your Castor Oil? Do you mix it with a leave in? Do you apply it to your ends only? Do you use it as part of a deep conditioning treatment? Do you heat it? Should you apply some to your scalp? I use it to seal in moisture after applying leave-ins. I've found that putting it on dry hair does not work for me, so I always apply it when my hair is somewhat damp. I've never tried mixing it with anything, hmmm.

3. Its very thick & gummy...has anyone had bad experiences with it? (like experienced increased breakouts or less-body in their hair?) No bad experiences.

4. How much of it should you use? I just pour as much as my hand can hold and apply.

5. How often do you use Castor Oil? Do you use it daily? Do you apply it in the in both the morning & at night or only in the p.m. hours (or a.m. hours?) I baggy nightly, so I apply a leave-in and apply castor oil to my ends nightly.

6. It kinda has a funny smell...any way to mask that scent? The cold pressed oil does not have a strong smell.

sowhut

wyldcurlz said:
Could someone explain "sealing" the hair? I think I'm confused on it. From what I understand - if I apply a leave-in on my ends (like Elucence MBC or NTM) then I'd apply a small amount of Castor Oil?? Is that considered "sealing" in the moisturizer? (Do all moisturizers have to be sealed?)

Yep, this is correct. Thats exactly how i seal. Im not sure if all moisturizers have to be sealed but i know that i always seal after moisturizing.