Castor oil = THICKER?

Dee-Licious

I heard that castor oil helps to thicken the actual strands. My hair seems to grow out of my head thin, and I need something to help it. Has anyone tried castor oil? If so, how did you use it, how often, and what results did you get?

Country gal

Big fan of castor oil. I noticed my hair was thicker and softer after using Castor oil. I have been using it for a year courtesy of the board.

VelvetRain

Country gal said:
Big fan of castor oil. I noticed my hair was thicker and softer after using Castor oil. I have been using it for a year courtesy of the board.

Please explain how your using it. Thanks.

Country gal

I use the one by home health (I think it is the name of the company). I use an applicator bottle to grease my scalp. I also use castor oil on my hair line. Wearing afro puffs causes you to have little short hairs.

Suri

ITA that Castor Oil is great for coating the hair strands especially in sensitive areas. It's great for the hairline. I massage my temples often with Jamaican Black Castor Oil.

MissFallon

I put the Jamaican Black Castor Oil in my deep conditioner, leave-in, pre-poo's, and my regular hair oil moisturizer.I've been using it for 3 months and have noticed that my hair is a lot thicker when it grows out from the roots and even at the ends. When I use it in my leave in and then rollerset it my hair always comes out extremely full.

beana

MissFallon said:
I put the Jamaican Black Castor Oil in my deep conditioner, leave-in, pre-poo's, and my regular hair oil moisturizer.I've been using it for 3 months and have noticed that my hair is a lot thicker when it grows out from the roots and even at the ends. When I use it in my leave in and then rollerset it my hair always comes out extremely full.

thanks for the usage tips missfallon! I have the black castor oil and i currenty use it on my scalp 1-2x's weekly. I have also used it on my hair mixed with jojoba oil and my hair always thanks me for it, it looks darker, feels heavier and appears thicker.

I'm interested in how you use it for the rollerset though... do you mix a dab in your leave in and then apply to your wet hair? I'm gonna try it next wash

Country gal

BklynHeart said:
And more importantly, where can I find the Jamaican Black castor oil in NYC?

I know some folks get it from Sam's. I can't find it in DC. I am hoping to try the black castor oil. I only use the clear kind.

MissFallon

In NYC you can get this at the Health Food Store on 125th Street and Lenox Avenue (I believe). It is across the street from the corner where there is a McDOnalds, Starbucks and Cingular right next to eachother. (Sorry but I forget the name, and never paid attention to the exact street).

I use the Smooth N Shine leave in conditioner and just put the castor oil and water into it and mix it up into a spray bottle. I spray this mix onto my hair before I rollerset. The castor oil is sticky so be careful when combing your hair with it in there, or just add more water to the mixture.

MiWay

Country gal said:
I use the one by home health (I think it is the name of the company). I use an applicator bottle to grease my scalp. I also use castor oil on my hair line. Wearing afro puffs causes you to have little short hairs.

I was looking at the Home Health brand at vitaminshoppe.com, but they had Castor Oil and Castor Oil Cold. Which do you use? What's the difference?

Country gal

msbrown76 said:
I was looking at the Home Health brand at vitaminshoppe.com, but they had Castor Oil and Castor Oil Cold. Which do you use? What's the difference?

I think it is just really Castor Oil. I love it. It makes my hair feel soft when I slick it back.

beana

yeah i use castor oil to give me results like JAM used to... my hair always looks slick if I use 2/3 castor 1/3 jojoba mix

blackbarbie

MissFallon said:
In NYC you can get this at the Health Food Store on 125th Street and Lenox Avenue (I believe). It is across the street from the corner where there is a McDOnalds, Starbucks and Cingular right next to eachother. (Sorry but I forget the name, and never paid attention to the exact street).

I use the Smooth N Shine leave in conditioner and just put the castor oil and water into it and mix it up into a spray bottle. I spray this mix onto my hair before I rollerset. The castor oil is sticky so be careful when combing your hair with it in there, or just add more water to the mixture.

does your rollerset come out "heavy"? I like my hair to be light and fluffy but I'm afraid that putting the castor oil in my leave in potion will make my curls come out heavy and weigh my hair down....

carameldiva

I have been using castor oil for almost a year as well and i have definitely seen a huge difference in thickness. I can't be without it. I get a gallon for like $14 at www.thechemistrystore.com

MissFallon

blackbarbie said:
does your rollerset come out "heavy"? I like my hair to be light and fluffy but I'm afraid that putting the castor oil in my leave in potion will make my curls come out heavy and weigh my hair down....

No it does not come out heavy. It comes out really light and nice. Its just that the castor oil adds a lot of body to your hair. Just make sure not to use too much and to dilute it with water (if you are using a liquid). I sprayed my regular leave in and used the NTM silk touch, my hair was nice and not weighed down at all (although I didnt care for the silk touch too much).