Caring for braids w/synthetic hair

Monilove122

Hi Ladies,

I got my hair braided last week with synthetic hair. I'm really digging the style and it's braided down just a bit and left loose at the end as the hair has a loose wave to it. I've had braids before but now that I'm taking much better care of my hair I'm not sure how to make sure I still get moisture, protein, etc. I know there is the method where you can take braids out and rebraid, deep condition, etc. but I don't want to rebraid. I will deep condition but definitely don't want to get into rebraiding the hair. Also, does anyone know of a recipe I can use to spray on my hair daily? So far I oil my scalp with vatika oil every other day and spray with either Braid Sheen Spray or Aphogee Leave-in w/Stay-Sof-Fro daily but, I'm definitley concerned about getting enough moisture into my hair.

TIA

Nonie

I think Robin of www.growafrohairlong.com uses synthetic hair. If so, I'd say follow her regimen as it has helped a lot of people have success with braids.

Monilove122

I think Robin of www.growafrohairlong.com uses synthetic hair. If so, I'd say follow her regimen as it has helped a lot of people have success with braids.

Hey Nonie - I'll check out her website. The crown & glory technique is the one I was describing where you have to re-braid (couldn't think of the name) but I see she has some other info on there. Thanks for reminding me of that website, it had slipped my mind altogether.

Last edited:

Monilove122

Hi moni!

I have a lot of home made spritz recipes - but here is a link that might help you

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=242699

I also use yogurt or a moisturizing condish to get what I need for my hair....
this summer I am going to be using the aruvedic recipes on the boards....

hth:drunk:

Hey Samantha - thanks so much for the info and the link. I'm checking it out now and definitely taking notes I'm going to definitely try the spritz the OP posted. That sounds SO refreshing.

Monilove122

Nonie is also the queen of braid maintenence. I have saved some of her posts.....
:look:

Well Nonie - I need your advice for sure and I also have a question. Does synthetic hair dry your hair out? Do I really need to be concerned with getting EXTRA moisture? Is the concotion I have right now (Stay-sof-fro, care free curl, and aphogee leave in) a good one for my hair and to soften the synthetic hair? Again it has a wave to it and is loose so I want to make sure it will last for a couple months and doesn't get matted.

Nonie

Well Nonie - I need your advice for sure and I also have a question. Does synthetic hair dry your hair out? Do I really need to be concerned with getting EXTRA moisture? Is the concotion I have right now (Stay-sof-fro, care free curl, and aphogee leave in) a good one for my hair and to soften the synthetic hair? Again it has a wave to it and is loose so I want to make sure it will last for a couple months and doesn't get matted.

Moni, I wouldn't believe everything SamanthaJones says if I were you, especially if she's sending you to me for advice on things I have no clue.
:lachen:

(Hi Samantha :wave: You do know I love ya, dontcha? Just have a funny way of showing it. :hide:)

Moni, I don't use synthetic hair and so know nothing about caring for braids in it. I am in human hair extensions. That's why I recommended Robin as she's a synthetic hair veteran. I'm also all thumbs when it comes to what products to use on braids because besides shampoo and conditioner when washing my hair, I don't use anything else. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Samantha, thanks for the honor, albeit misplaced. :p

msa

Hey Moni,

I always get my braids with synthetic hair. I generally treat my hair exactly the same while in braids and out. So, whatever I use to moisturize my hair loose, I use it while in braids as well.

Are your braids wavy cuz you dipped the ends of them?
If you dipped them, then usually what I do to maintain the wave is braid them after I've washed them and take the braid out once they dry and they'll be wavy.

Hope this helps!

kandegirl

Moisture was my fear when I had kinky twists. It took forever to get them "moisturized" to me. I had to start putting glycerin in my braid spray and puttiing Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Cream on my twists and I they felt alot better.

cecilie

When I do single braids with synthetic hair I use Motions spray nourish live in conditioner and Elasta QP H two spray , I co wash every three days . After braids my hair is well moisturise .
Cecilie .

Lucky's Mom

Moni, I wouldn't believe everything SamanthaJones says if I were you, especially if she's sending you to me for advice on things I have no clue.
:lachen:

(Hi Samantha :wave: You do know I love ya, dontcha? Just have a funny way of showing it. :hide:)

Moni, I don't use synthetic hair and so know nothing about caring for braids in it. I am in human hair extensions. That's why I recommended Robin as she's a synthetic hair veteran. I'm also all thumbs when it comes to what products to use on braids because besides shampoo and conditioner when washing my hair, I don't use anything else. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Samantha, thanks for the honor, albeit misplaced. :p

:lachen::lachen:You are welcome... hilarous!