Moisturizing hair in braids.

zailless

I used to use stay sof fro in my natural hair with glycerine for moisture. now i got braids and i am not sure what to do for moisture. i bought african royale braid spray and i will add a bit of glycerine. i want a moisturizer that is not too greasy because my braids are waist length and i want a moisturizer that smells good. i am not sure the sta sof fro will smell nice in my hair. for such long braids i need a better odor than stay sof fro. any suggestions?

cutiebe2

Jamaican Lime Rasta Gro Spray (thats not the exact little, can't remember now). Anyway, look for a it in a yellow and whilte bottle with green writing. Its an "age old rasta formula". Its light and smells pretty okay, no strong smell.

C

chica_canella

I need something too because I can't keep buying the braid spray, I think I can go through about 2 bottles every two weeks. I need something cheaper.

cutiebe2

this stuff is really cheap...a five dollar bottle wil last you two months, no doubt (at least it has lasted me all this time)

you can also try a leave-in conditioner. I wash my braids 2x a week (DC and the other Co-wash)...after each of those washes I put in a leave-in either NTM or Garnier fructesse (sp?)..thats another good moisturizer. Don't forget to seal the hair with some type of oil..I use surge moitions 9 after every wash

loveable37

I am sporting some small twists with my own hair (no)weave extensions it makes my hair dry/itch,I never wore anything like this.
I still dont know what to get:confused: my hair so soft i dont want to wash it or put the wrong product in my hair to clogg up/matt my hair it goin to be a long journey for me .

KathyMay

Try Kemi Oyl conditioning spray. Works for me all the time I think it is better than the other braid sprays out there.

C

chica_canella

cutiebe2 said:
this stuff is really cheap...a five dollar bottle wil last you two months, no doubt (at least it has lasted me all this time)

you can also try a leave-in conditioner. I wash my braids 2x a week (DC and the other Co-wash)...after each of those washes I put in a leave-in either NTM or Garnier fructesse (sp?)..thats another good moisturizer. Don't forget to seal the hair with some type of oil..I use surge moitions 9 after every wash

How big is the $5 bottle? What is NTM?

ayoung

I do a few diff. things--just depending...

I have a spray bottle w/ a cheapie conditioner/water and a tad of glycerine

i also might rub NTM, shea butter or other moisturizers on my braids where my hair is

zailless

ayoung1981 said:
I do a few diff. things--just depending...

I have a spray bottle w/ a cheapie conditioner/water and a tad of glycerine

i also might rub NTM, shea butter or other moisturizers on my braids where my hair is

you gave me an idea. i will use a conditioner and add glycerine. that sweet smelling conditioner in a green pretty bottle on the shelves, i will buy tonight. thaanks

C

chica_canella

What does Glycerine do for the hair and how big is the $5 bottle?

Also, what is NTM?

ayoung

chica_canella said:
What does Glycerine do for the hair and how big is the $5 bottle?

Also, what is NTM?

NTM is Neutragena Triple Moisture ---I'm talking about the NTM Silk Touch Leave in Cream

The bottle is 6 fl. oz for like $6 in my area. It lasts for a good amount of time though

Glycerine and water make a great moisturizer--although too much glycerin can make ur hair sticky. it's in products like sta sof fro and tons of conditioners. u can get glycerin at Walgreens for like $3 dollars or Walmart for even less.

hth

Lusa

I have a little concoction in my spray bottle that I use to moisturise my hair when it braids, it's also pretty inexpensive to make:

Aloe vera gel, distilled water, a few drops of honey, a few squirts of moisturising conditioner (in my case DDTA or Rusk), jojoba oil, glycerine, wgo, essential peppermint oil, and rosemary oil.

If you would like the specific measurements for the aloe vera gel and water, let me know and I can check my little book at home. I usually just add the ingredients a bit at a time, shake to see if it's the right consistency and so forth.

vfee

I use half sta so fro and half leave in and about 5 drops of orange essential oil.......love it!:D

C

chica_canella

Lusa said:
I have a little concoction in my spray bottle that I use to moisturise my hair when it braids, it's also pretty inexpensive to make:

Aloe vera gel, distilled water, a few drops of honey, a few squirts of moisturising conditioner (in my case DDTA or Rusk), jojoba oil, glycerine, wgo, essential peppermint oil, and rosemary oil.

If you would like the specific measurements for the aloe vera gel and water, let me know and I can check my little book at home. I usually just add the ingredients a bit at a time, shake to see if it's the right consistency and so forth.

Yes, I would like to know the percentages of each ingredient. Do you think Sta Fro is good also?

Healthb4Length

Sta Sof Fro, African Royale braid spray are really good for moisture. Also putting a baggie over the braids works wonders for moisture too, baggie method works wonders.

LiLi

cutiebe2 said:
Jamaican Lime Rasta Gro Spray (thats not the exact little, can't remember now). Anyway, look for a it in a yellow and whilte bottle with green writing. Its an "age old rasta formula". Its light and smells pretty okay, no strong smell.

Yes ... the No Itch Gro Spray is some gooood stuff. This is what I use to moisturize my braids.

cutiebe2

LiLi said:
Yes ... the No Itch Gro Spray is some gooood stuff. This is what I use to moisturize my braids.
I think you were the one who gave me that idea:lol:
the bottle I use is 16oz for $5

Lusa

chica_canella said:
Yes, I would like to know the percentages of each ingredient. Do you think Sta Fro is good also?

Here you go:

4-5 oz distilled water
1 tbsp aloe vera gel
2 tbsp jojoba oil
1 tsp glycerine
Moisturising conditioner as needed (a good cheapie one works)
Few drops of honey
4-6 drops rosemary essential oil
4-6 drops peppermint essential oil

Shake this all up, and you're ready to go. If you do not have the essential oils, don't fret and run out to buy them; it would be fine without them. I have been using this for over a year now, and I do not remember where I found it. It works really well for me.

And to answer your question, I do not know much about Sta Fro because I have never used it so I can't tell you either way.