Keeping braids moisturized

motherof2

Hi. I have my hair braided in individuals and I am looking for ideas on how to keep the braid moisturized. Did you guys use braid spray? Curl activator? How often do you add moisture? I usually use both curl activator and braid spray once a day. This is usually at night. By the next afternoon and i take a braid and squeeze it, it is as dry as the desert
. No moisture. I can possibly go thru a bottle of braid spray or moisturizer in a week if this continue (due to the dryness I am heavy handed). What are you guys doing, or what have you done?

Thanks,

Sylvia

BTW. My hair is relaxed 4c and I wash my braids once a week.

Faith

I'm not sure if you can tell how moisturized your hair is by just squeezing your braids. I squeezed mine and couldn't tell, but when taken out of the braids my hair within is super soft. I use scurl (grey and blue bottle).
How is your hair after you take it out of braids? Does it feel as dry as you thought it would?

Janice

Hi Mother of 2,

Well right now I have single individual braids and what I use to keep them moisturized is African Royale's Braid& Sheen BRX Braid Spray (smells like pina coloda
) and African Royale's Hot six oil to lock in the moisture. You always have to use some type of oil to lock in te moisture. Regular olive oil from the grocery store is what I also use if I don't use the hot six oil.This combo keepos my braids moisturized for the whole day. I do this once a day or every two days.

But to start off try doing morning or night or as soon as your braids start to feel like it is going to get dry.

Also the type of braids you have will make a difference. If you have synthethic braids then it will dry out faster.

Anyhow look at this ladys website and click on her etension regime, if this link does not take you there. It should help you out alot with any other additonal questions you may have.

http://www.growafrohairlong.com/braidreg.html

Janice

Honey Vibe

The Good Physician
It's very difficult to keep braids moisturized with sprays because the moisture tends to not penetrate into your hair. If you try to push the moisture in with your fingers, eventually you loosen the braid and ruin the style.

The best thing to do is to get in your bath tub, take a bath, and go back into the water, until it is all the way up to your cheeks. Count ten seconds, and come back up. Don't repeat.

This way you will keep the braids/real hair moist without messing up the style. HTH

adrienne0914

motherof2, some people like braid sprays. they didn't do much for me. the braids were moist until they dried. curl activator worked best for me. i used S-Curl most of the time. this last time, i used World of Curls. because it's heavier, i didn't have to use it as often. it was also a little harder to distribute though.

adrienne

NAPPtural

STA-SOF-FRO keeps the braids WELL moisturize. Its EXCELLENT....

STA-SOF-FRO HAIR & SCALP SPRAY (EXTRA DRY) FOR BRAIDED STYLES.(NO BUILD-UP)

~Napptural~

Drea84

Im with you on the yummy smell of African Royale braid spray
Also I use oils on my hair after I take a shower without the shower cap! All that moisture from doing something I would do twice a day anyway is great

Drea84