Body lotion for the hair?

G

Is it safe to use regular body lotion in your hair for a moisturizer? Did I read that on this board before? Can anyone who has give me some info about it?

Victorian

old head
Sure it is, depending on what's in the lotion. Your results will depend on what the actual ingredients are. A lot of the ingredients for hair and body lotions are the same. Water, glycerin, collagen, various oils and such. It varies quite a bit. I've used body lotion in my hair many times. I've never experienced any problems

greenidlady1

I've never used lotion for a conditioner, but from time to time I'll use it at work for a mid-day moisture pick me up for a protective style.

I think I'm using Healing Garden right now and it makes my hair smell wonderful!

I do make sure that the lotion doesn't have mineral oil, paraffin, wax or any ingredients that you'd stay away from otherwise.

Seems like I mentioned this years ago to a stylist and she said that it should work because the ph of the hair and skin isn't very different.

Hope that helps!
Take care,
G

adrienne0914

i did when i was younger. i used Jergens lotion because i liked the smell. like blackcardinal said, i'll be alot of them contain the same stuff as many hair products. now that i'm a little more knowledgeable, i probably wouldn't do it unless i was in a financial pinch AND none of the ingredients on the label jumped out at me as bad...

.....Yes, yes, yes...you sure can!

My mom used to use baby lotion on my hair as a kid (mixed with an oil or light grease). I was told my hair smelled so yummy.

I know people who are using lotion with great results. Alot of them, however, mix it with an oil.

A good lotion to try is Shikai's all natural Hand and Body Lotion. It comes in different fragranes (I got the apricot rose and it smells heavenly). This lotion is a moisturizing formula with a bunch of good oils (apricot kernal, avocado, safflower, wheatgerm, etc.) May be something you want to try.

Tchutchuca

I use Vaseline Aloe&Naturals when my hair is sick of my regular leave-in. My hair feels good.
My husband used in daily basis, that's why I tried.

ChasingBliss

A while back I used to use Lubriderm (sp) with jojoba oil. I loved the results. My hair held moisture and it was never frizzy. Back then I knew very little about really good black hair care products so I followed something Andre said about it being ok to use lotion in your hair. I chose lubriderm because it's fragrance free, had some of the ingredients he was saying to look for, and it's a good quality lotion.

T

Tee

Some of The Body Shop's Body Butters make nice leave-ins/moisturizers. They smell yummy, too.

[ QUOTE ]
HoneyLemonDrop said:
A while back I used to use Lubriderm (sp) with jojoba oil. I loved the results. My hair held moisture and it was never frizzy. Back then I knew very little about really good black hair care products so I followed something Andre said about it being ok to use lotion in your hair. I chose lubriderm because it's fragrance free, had some of the ingredients he was saying to look for, and it's a good quality lotion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do remember Andre recommending them for moisture. If you are looking for something that feels like a body lotion but is made for hair, UBH Lotion may work for you. ubhpublications.com

Spagirl

I'm looking to try Aubrey Organics' White Camellia and Jasmine lotion per a member from another forum. That is if the ingredients look alright.

cybra

When my daughters were babies, all the way until they hit high school, I ONLY used lotion in their hair. When young, I used baby lotion, then, I used St. Ives (for extra dry skin) on their hair. They both always had long hair and the lotion wasn't too greasy and didn't weigh their hair down. I also used it on mine, and still did until I came to this forum...now I use so much stuff

asha

At work I use Aveeno Lotion for dry skin in my hair as a mid day moisturizer. I spritz with water and then use the Aveeno. I wash my hands a lot at work and use the lotion for both skin and hair. My hair stays moist and it really defines the curls..no frizz!!