Body lotion on your hair?

gn1g

I've heard of a few people applying lotion to their hair instead of hair products. I just did a bit of research on vaseline sheer infusion lotion and am very tempted to put it on my hair.

Have you ever put body lotion on your hair and if so what kind and what was the results?

c0urtkneee

If I'm in a hurry & don't have any products to use, I pull out the Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion & it slicks my hair down for the time being. But I don't do it regularly.

Beaute Noire

My brother's God-mother has been using Jergens body lotion in her hair for years..she mixes it with water to slick down fly-aways when she's bunning :look:

don't know if I would though.

isawstars

I've never heard of that... I do know that non AAs use it to get rid of static in their hair. *shrugs*

PJaye

I had a friend that would always style her hair with body lotion until her bangs burst into flames as she lit a cigarette. That was...one memorable occasion, I tell ya (if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it).

Miss Monae

I had a friend that would always style her hair with body lotion until her bangs burst into flames as she lit a cigarette. That was...one memorable occasion, I tell ya (if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would not have believed it).

Thanks for the warning...staying far away from this!

cutenss

I use to do this on a daily basis. I would mix Vaseline Inetesive Care Lotion (the original yellow one) and Blue Magic hair grease. I was relaxed then, but I tell you, I had the longest, healthiest hair. And living in FL at the time, my hair never frizzed from humidity. IDK

Prudent1

I have co-worker who does this and his hair looks great:rolleyes:. I don't know about that for me though.

EbbonyTx

I've seen people do this [natural, types 3b] and it worked for them....Myself [relaxed, type 4a/b] not so good. It left my hair stringy BUT I didn't know how to care for my hair, so I just thought I had "bad" hair. I might experiment in the near future...I'm a PJ!

LaFemmeNaturelle

I do it sometimes when I'm out somewhere and my hair feels a bit dry. I normally carry small bottles of Bath and Body Works lotion and just put a bit in my hair and it definitely makes my hair soft....second ingredient is glycerin and alot of the other ingredients are the same that we use in hair products anyway so why not?

Vashti

On occasion when I ran out of moisturizer I used to put Eucerin cream or Aquaphore in my hair after washing it. Both moisturized my hair and gave it nice sheen. Aquaphore is more of a "sealer" than moisturizer though. Just make sure you check the ingredients because in body lotions sometimes the ingredients can look the same as in hair products but be in very different amounts and that might make a difference in whether it's good for your hair or not.

Mz.MoMo5235

i tried it in high school... reminds me a lot of pink oil in hair actually.

i dont think i would do it now though... not since i already have products that work for me and are meant for hair

SelfStyled

I would use it and I do use it. If it's safe enough for my skin which is living, then surely it is safe enough for my hair which is dead. I use body cream for moisturization, I have type 4 hair, very dry, and the creams keep my hair moisturized.

Off the top of my head, one of my body creams has: water, cocoa butter, sweet almond oil, jasmine, oil, and aloe vera. Let's see 1st ingredient water, so I know it's moisturizing. No mineral oil, lanolin, petrolatum, no protein. No brainer for me.

When I first started healthy hair practices I could never find a suitable moisturizer cause the ones in the traditional BSS's stunk, with crappy ingredients. After learning more about what a moisturizer should have, is when I started experimenting with lotion/body creams. There are some natural hair vendors, shescentit, hairveda, KBB, etc that seem like they would have excellent hair moisturizers, but when I compare their ingredients to what I have in my stash they seem no differnt. And I hate having to order the basics online.

For those that want to venture out, check your TJ Maxx's, Marshall's etc. They have decadent body cream, with terrific ingredients, for cheap.

Last edited:

Bene

I wouldn't. Mainly because of the ingredients in a lot of lotions. They're designed to coat the skin heavily and to stay on for long periods of time. I've made a mistake of fooling around with my hair after I've rubbed lotion on, and even that small pass made me look like I hadn't washed my hair in weeks. I imagine a deliberate application of lotion would be a nightmare to wash out.

HeChangedMyName

If I'm in a hurry & don't have any products to use, I pull out the Johnson & Johnson Baby Lotion & it slicks my hair down for the time being. But I don't do it regularly.

I can remember some girls that lived in my neighborhood as a kid, J&J was the only thing they used on their hair. I can remember one probably had 3 type hair and the other was between 3 and 4 but both of their hair was always shiny and very healthy and long. and to boot, that stuff just smells good.

I'm sure that wasn't meant to be funny but I burst out laughing with that one. wow. so did she lose a lot of hair? And I didn't know lotion was highly flammable.

Zaz

I use a light one (lubriderm or something similar) to tame frizzies. It's fine, no buildup and leaves my hair soft and shiny with no flyaways.