Body Lotion for hair?

Newlife2011

Is it safe? I have this lotion called "malibu tan hemp moisturizer" and it has really good ingredients

INGREDIENTS: Water (Aqua), Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Glycerin, Stearic Acid, Aluminum Starch Octenyl Succinate, Hempseed Oil (Cannibis sativa), Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Tocopheryl Acetate, Panthenol, Sesame Oil (Sesamum indicum), Jojoba Oil (Buxus chinesis), Sunflower Seed Oil (Helianthus annuus), Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Tea Tree Oil (Melaleuca alternifolia), Green Tea Extract (Camelia olifera), Calendula Officianalis Extract, Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Propylene Glycol, Diazonidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, BHT, Fragrance, Citric Acid.

but I never put body lotion in my hair. Will it cause build-up? I'm new to this hair care journey, so sorry if body lotion is a big no-no or something.:grin:

melissa-bee

Lol, i was gonna try this before with my organics shea and cocoa butter cream, the ingredients look good but i just haven't done it. I might try it overnight on a small section of my hair before wash day. I have no advice.

BostonMaria

Those ingredients don't look much different than what's in some haircare products. :ninja:

Yeah I was about to say the same thing. I've seen (read?) some people use lotion on their hair because the ingredients are ok. Just be careful though.

IrrationalThoughts

I was just talking to my sister about this. I have done it once and my hair felt really good all day...but I am scurred of build up.

vkb247

There are a few ladies here who have used body lotion in the hair. I know that Pokahantas is one of them. I would use that product in my hair. It has better ingredients than a lot of hair products.

CTBhair

I was recently looking at the shea moisture website. Since they do not have their Shea Moisture Shea Butter Leave In on the website I was looking at the other products. They advertise their Shea Butter Lotion as something you can use on your body and your hair. So I am sure that some lotions are just fine for your hair. I also think we use other products like shea butter for both our skin and hair. I say test it out and see if it works for you!

melodies815

When DD was a toddler, I used to slick her hair down with lotion. I have to think about what I used and get back to you. Her hair, though, was one length all over her head (APL) as a 2 year old, and I did this pretty regularly because the lotion I used was a lot more mild in terms of ingredients than what I used. I had zero breakage or shedding or drying with this lotion. It was great!

I haven't done it in 10 years, but it did work well for my DD. She has been natural all her life.

Hope this helps...

cj