Benefits of Castor Oil - Growth? Strength? Reduced Breakage?

I used to use this stuff and I loved it. It kept my dread locks (at the time) soft. I just didn’t really like the fact that I had to order online, I prefer to use products that I can find in the store. I actually purchased the ingredients and attempted to make it myself, but I never got the proper formulation :grin: . Anyway, I think I am going to try to use castor oil somehow, maybe after a spritz of water. I feel like a tried this unsuccessfully before though. That’s sad when you try so many things/products that you can’t even remember what you tried before :grin:.

I have been using Kelechi Oil (jasmine) which has castor oil as the 1st ingredient on the list.

All I can say is WOW! It has helped me maintain moisture better than any water based moisturizer has.

My hair is soft and moist. My ends love this stuff.

Castor Oil is great, my hair seems to really like it. My ends are not crunchy. I dilute it in a spray bottle (1/3 Castor Oil to 2/3 water). I also use it as a oil rinse. I plan to infuse it with Rosemary.

Castor oil contributed to my hair growth, strength, thickness,and nappiness. Yes, it made my hair nappier. or coarser to be politically correct. :yep:

I also use castor oil. I use the plain castor oil that you get from the store. I usually just get the generic brand for whatever store I go to. Right now it's the CVS generic brand. :grin: Anyway, I use my castor oil different ways. I mix it in with ORS hair mayo for a weekly dc prepoo. I mix it with some creamy leave-in conditioner and put it throughout my hair after a wash or cowash or just whenever I feel like it (this helps to combat that sticky feeling). I baggy with it. I seal my ends with it. I really do think that it is slowly contributing to thickening back up my hair.

I probably wouldn’t use castor oil on my hair if I were wearing a straight style. One thing I do that helps with slippage that may also prevent the castor oil from weighing your hair down is diluting it with olive oil. Since castor oil is so thick, maybe the conditioner isn’t diluting it much by itself. I tried a 50/50 mix last night to seal my moisture and not bad so far. But, my hair is infamous for liking something for a while then turning on it.

How do you guys apply this stuff without greasy ends? I put a little in my conditioner and all bounce was gone. :nono:

I've been using castor oil the past month or so and I really love it. The softness is incredible.... It helps alot with breakage too. I take a teeny tiny bit and rub it in my hands to thin it out (you need less than you think you need). I tackle my ends first, then rub the residue on the length of my hair to seal in my moisture.

If I've been wearing my hair up in a clip and I have a whole lot of bends and crinkles, I'll spray my dry hair lightly w/ distilled water, moisturize, seal w/ castor oil then wrap it up for the nite. In the morning - hair looks healthy, shiny and like I never had it clipped up at all. Its super soft too.

For my deep moisture DC, I use Elasta QP DPR-11. I added castor oil to the entire jar (plus a shot of EVOO & a shot of AO Honeysuckle Rose). I don't get alot of slip from castor oil which is why I added the EVOO to get more slip. But it's a staple for me.

I just have regular old Castor Oil from the pharmacy. Maybe Ill try JBCO one day but this is working great. :yep:

This was entirely too long... I sound like I'm talking about my man!! :lachen:

I baggie my ends with castor oil and my ends are really thick (but my hair is thick anyways) it helps keep my ends in excellent condition, therefore, limiting the need of trims for me:grin:

Castor oil contributed to my hair growth, strength, thickness,and nappiness. Yes, it made my hair nappier. or coarser to be politically correct. :yep:

I think you may be on to something here. I'm transitioning and was wondering why all of a sudden (after using castor oil) my hair started feeling really thick and nappy.:ohwell:

But I still love it...

I absolutely love castor oil! I start using it on my daughter's hair and it has really improved the overall health of her hair. Her edges were non-existing, now they are full and about 1 1/2 inches long. This stuff is the truth! :yep::yep::yep:

I focus on my ends, so I use moisturizer, then a little bit of castor oil on my ends to seal. I do this because I know that I won't be trimming until my relaxer. There's nothing better! :clapping:

With castor oil, detangling is a breeze; however, I only use it when bunning, otherwise it weighs my hair down too much. I wet my hair with plain water, seal the ends with castor oil, then twist into a bun. Since using castor oil, my ends are thicker, and I get almost no breakage. I don't feel the need to get trims as often.

For those of you applying straight castor oil (no dilutions) to your ends, how do you do that without getting breakage??

My hair is pretty strong these days, and not much causes it to break, but even when I try to gently rub castor oil on my ends, it's so thick and sticky that I end up with several small broken hairs in my hand. I want to use CO for it's anti-breakage properties, but surely this is counterproductive. Any suggestions?

For those of you applying straight castor oil (no dilutions) to your ends, how do you do that without getting breakage??

My hair is pretty strong these days, and not much causes it to break, but even when I try to gently rub castor oil on my ends, it's so thick and sticky that I end up with several small broken hairs in my hand. I want to use CO for it's anti-breakage properties, but surely this is counterproductive. Any suggestions?

hey diya i only use the CO after i apply my moisturizer. i only use it for sealing. it's so sticky and thick i couldnt imagine using it another way.

hey diya i only use the CO after i apply my moisturizer. i only use it for sealing. it's so sticky and thick i couldnt imagine using it another way.

Even then, how do you work it onto your hair/ends while being gentle enough as to not cause breakage in the process of applying? It just doesn't glide on like thinner oils, and the stickiness really makes it hard for me to apply! :sad:

Even then, how do you work it onto your hair/ends while being gentle enough as to not cause breakage in the process of applying? It just doesn't glide on like thinner oils, and the stickiness really makes it hard for me to apply! :sad:

Hey, sweetness! :wave: I use a very light moisturizer like NTM or African Pride's Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing/Detangling Leave-In conditioner. I then put a very small amount (about a dime size) of castor oil and gently add to my ends, twist my hair into a bun, then put my scarf on and go to bed. I haven't experienced much breakage at all. ;)

Don't rub it into your ends.... pat it in. Almost like you're squeezing water from your hair with a towel. I'll rub it on around the perimeter of my edges but I'm very gentle. Heating it a little might help.

Castor oil has helped alot after I did the big chop. It i the first product that I rub through out my hair when I get out of the shower and then I apply my leave in and afro detangler. My hair super soft and is detangled for the whooollleeee day. Before I started doing this I would not be able to run my hands through my hair without it being snagged somewhere. Now that I started this proccess, until my next CW wash, the next morning, my hair is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

Makes my hair appear thicker and feel more supple. I like it because it has a non greasy feel and I love how it coats my fine, thin strands. I know that oils don't moisturize, but I swear it feels like it! :yep:

:yep: Yep, that's how I feel about castor oil, too. I love it. My hair looks and feels so much better now that I use it regularly. Soft, shiny, and it's getting thicker. Lovin' it!!:grin:

Hey, sweetness! :wave: I use a very light moisturizer like NTM or African Pride's Kids Organic Shea Butter Moisturizing/Detangling Leave-In conditioner. I then put a very small amount (about a dime size) of castor oil and gently add to my ends, twist my hair into a bun, then put my scarf on and go to bed. I haven't experienced much breakage at all. ;)

Hey serenity! I loooove my NTM leave in, too :lick: so I'm gonna take your advice... maybe it would help if I put a few drops of the CO on my fingertips and gently massage it into my ends rather than putting it in my palms and trying to rub it in.

If this doesn't work, maybe I should just retire my castor oil and stick with the oils that I'm not too :hammer:to apply :rolleyes:.

Don't rub it into your ends.... pat it in. Almost like you're squeezing water from your hair with a towel. I'll rub it on around the perimeter of my edges but I'm very gentle. Heating it a little might help.

Thank you! I will try this next time... heat might make it a little less viscous at least long enough for me to apply :grin:

is there a special knd of castor oil or i the one i see in grocery stores as a laxative the right one??

The Jamaican Black Castor oil (JBCO) is more moisturizing to me but the regular works if you want softness with less greasiness. This is keeping my kitchen in line lol.

Back