Benefits of Castor Oil - Growth? Strength? Reduced Breakage?

Hello ladies,

I have been having issues with breakage and scalp dryness & scaling. I am also looking for something that I can use topically to stimulate hair growth.

So, I've heard that castor oil is good so I was wondering if some of you could share your experiences with it. Has it increased your growth, strengthened your hair, reduced shedding, reduced breakage or none of the above.

If castor oil won't do it, do you know of something else that will work?

Thank you,
winniebread
:grin:

from my experience, it has increased the thickness of my hair. It makes my hair soft and is great for correcting problem spots as well.

Castor oil makes my hair feel really moist, supple, and keeps it from drying out and breaking.

My ends look great from using castor oil on them about every two days. My hair has always been thick so I dunno if castor oil has made it THICKER but it feels really soft and thick with no breakage.

For me, castor oil has greatly improved the condition of my ends...it reduced breakage and provided thickness.

HTH!

I recently began using a castor/jojoba mix (courtesy of brownsugarflyygirl:)) and have since noticed softer hair and an itchy scalp. Itchy scalp is usually a sign of hair growth for me.:crossfingers::grin:

It's good for my hair line. I'm thinking about mixing it with another oil and put it on my ends. It doesn't have enough "slip."

Last edited:
I don't know about growth and scaling, but castor oil will help with breakage. I use it on the ends of my hair before I put it in a pony tail or bun - super soft and no breakage.

maybe you can consider Boundless Tresses?

Makes my hair appear thicker and feel more supple. I like it because it has a non greasy feel and I love how it coats my fine, thin strands. I know that oils don't moisturize, but I swear it feels like it! :yep:

Last edited:
I put it on my edges but I dont like that stick feeling as my hair is quite fine...So I add just a bit of ORS olive oil hair lotion and add to my edges and ends, and put on a scarf. In the morning my hair is very nice and soft.

Wow ladies,

Thank you for the feedback on Castor Oil. Have any of you noticed any slight tingling and/or itching. I have only been using Castor Oil for a couple of days so far and I think that's what I'm noticed...kinda weird for oil right???

Anyone every find an oil combination (perhaps not castor oil) that really works to stimulate growth...or should I start another thread?

Thank you again ladies,

winniebread :grin:

I really like castor oil(JBCO to be exact)....my hair feels much softer. I mix it with camillia oil, coconut oil, and sulphur powder.

I loove castor oil. Does anyone else find it to bee a bit too sticky? Does anyone thin it out and if so how do you do this? TIA

I mix castor oil (JBCO) to my weekly deep conditioner treatments. Once that is rinsed out, I put some on the last 2 inches of my hair. I have noticed that the shedding/breakage has reduced tremendously. I love it.

I use the Jamaican Black castor oil. I read on here that if you steep rosemary in it for 7 days it should grow your hair. I just started uses the rosemary and castor oil mix for about a week or two now and my edges are indeed filling in. I see some fuzz. yay

I use the Jamaican Black castor oil. I read on here that if you steep rosemary in it for 7 days it should grow your hair. I just started uses the rosemary and castor oil mix for about a week or two now and my edges are indeed filling in. I see some fuzz. yay

I am also a JBCO user and love it!!

so you steep rosemary into your JBCO? how is this done.. when you say steep are you referring to a rosemary tea? or are you talking about a rosemary essential oil? just asking because I am interested in this rosemary/castor oil mix.

I love castor oil !!! I add it to my conditioner when doing my bi-weekly washes. And I put it on my edges for added protection from dryness at night. It has definitely strengthened and thickened my newgrowth, contributed to the increase in my hairs moisture, and helped to reduce breakage and has made it easier for me to detangle my hair. Its cheap and when I use it along with coconut oil its the best oil combination for my hair. :grin:

Hi InnerSoul :wave: I bought the fresh rosemary from the grocery store and then I lightly crushed the leaves still on stem to allow there goodness to be released even more and then put stem and leaves in the castor oil bottle for the 7 days. I let mine stay a little longer 10 actually. I left the leaves on stem because it proves a lot easier to pull the rosemary out of the bottle afterwards, but you can also leave it in there if you desire. Then proceed to putting on scalp and ends. HTH

Hi InnerSoul :wave: I bought the fresh rosemary from the grocery store and then I lightly crushed the leaves still on stem to allow there goodness to be released even more and then put stem and leaves in the castor oil bottle for the 7 days. I let mine stay a little longer 10 actually. I left the leaves on stem because it proves a lot easier to pull the rosemary out of the bottle afterwards, but you can also leave it in there if you desire. Then proceed to putting on scalp and ends. HTH

thanks for explaining this to me!! :grin: I will definitely be experimenting!!

Last edited:
I have been using Kelechi Oil (jasmine) which has castor oil as the 1st ingredient on the list.

All I can say is WOW! It has helped me maintain moisture better than any water based moisturizer has.

My hair is soft and moist. My ends love this stuff.

I love it! My breakage was so alarming that I posted about it a couple of weeks ago. It's down to only a couple of broken hairs a day now...a vast improvement...since I've been sealing with castor oil. I use a generic brand I got at Walgreen's and rub it between my hands so that the warmth thins it out a little. I also use it to seal my damp hair when airdrying...it dries so soft it's unbelievable!

I also get the itchies when I use it on my scalp. I had stopped using it like that, but if it's a sign of growth, I may try it again.

I mix castor oil (JBCO) to my weekly deep conditioner treatments. Once that is rinsed out, I put some on the last 2 inches of my hair. I have noticed that the shedding/breakage has reduced tremendously. I love it.
I mix it with my deep conditioner,leave in conditioner and use it with the baggy method and it works great.

I want to try JBCO has does anyone have a website besides sams to order? I was trying to use paypal and it wouldn't let me and the 2007 coupon code is invalid.

Just started using it a little less than 2 weeks ago and I definitely love it.

Castor oil is EXCELLENT at sealing in moisture for SURE! My hair is definitely softer and has more sheen.

Also, it seems to have helped with the breakage I was experiencing. I notice fewer small broken hairs :yep:

However, you do have to be careful with how much you use as it's very thick.

Here's how I use it:

- nightly: to seal after applying Jane Carter Solution Nourshing Hair Cream

- after wash or co-wash: seal after applying leave-in conditioner

I also use it to seal after I've applied my post workout spritz.

Back