Ayurveda Lovers Unite!!!

flowinlocks

Where do you get the hibiscus flower? I have the powder it can be messy or it me that is messy:lachen:

Mountain Rose and Ayurnatural beauty sells it.

You are correct it is super messy and will stain certain surfaces and lighter hair. I also found it made my pastes SUPER runny when I added it. It worked out better as a tea. Makes your hair super soft and moist, great compliment to Maka/Bhringraj and Brahmi.

flowinlocks

"Now, before you say "that's a lot of reading" let me say this. " Okaaay you got me 'cause I sure was thinking this :) And I am down for ayurvedic principles. Okaaaaay, I'm off to read and read and then . . . . read.

Lol! Don't worry help is close by if you need it. :yep:

flowinlocks

Ladies doing oil infusions, can you explain the easiest way to do them please?

Some ladies like to use the method of infusing oil in a jar with the herbs sitting on a windowsill in the sun for a few weeks. You will use your oils/oils of choice then place your powder/powders of choice in a kneehigh. Or a tea bag like I mention in a few posts back. Seal the jar shake up the mixture and let it sit and marinate. Then strain when ready for use.

I prefer to use the crock pot method. I have a tiny pot that I have dedicated to my infusions. I will add about 8oz of oil and a few tablespoons of powder. Then I will simmer this for a about 4 to 5 hours. Sometimes overnight. After that I will let it sit for a few days till the sludge/powder settles to the bottom. And pour the oil off the top. No straining! : ) You can also add a few drops of EO for fragrance.

Last edited:

Ltown

Greyland

You are correct it is super messy and will stain certain surfaces and lighter hair. I also found it made my pastes SUPER runny when I added it. It worked out better as a tea. Makes your hair super soft and moist, great compliment to Maka/Bhringraj and Brahmi.

Oh I get mine from mountain rose, never seen the dried flower, I'll go check it out. thanks ( the buttone gone again)

Ronnieaj

Oh hello ladies :wave:!! I can't believe I missed this thread.

I've been using two rinses consistently for the past 2-3 months (one of them for well over a year), and it's been wonderful :yep:.

I wash twice a week, and for my wash I oil my hair, typically with either Vatika or Hairveda's Cocasta shikakai oil, and leave for a minimum of one hour. I then wet my hair and pour my rinse in, which is a mix of shikakai, amla, and brahmi powders in a 1:2:2 ratio. I make a big batch so I can last a few months without having to make more. I put 2 tablespoons in around 4 cups of water and pour on my hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, then cowash and DC. This, I've found, is the ONLY way I can effectively cowash. Everything else leaves my hair mushy.

I do an acv rinse as my final rinse (I don't rinse it out), which is a mix of hibiscus, maka, and fenugreek powders in a 1:1:1 ratio, then I add acv and aloe vera juice to make a pH of 5, some honeyquat and hemp seed oil. I make a huge batch and keep it refrigerated (I also add a preservative) and use after every wash.

My hair is darker and growing quite nicely.

sheba1

Oh hello ladies :wave:!! I can't believe I missed this thread.

I've been using two rinses consistently for the past 2-3 months (one of them for well over a year), and it's been wonderful :yep:.

I wash twice a week, and for my wash I oil my hair, typically with either Vatika or Hairveda's Cocasta shikakai oil, and leave for a minimum of one hour. I then wet my hair and pour my rinse in, which is a mix of shikakai, amla, and brahmi powders in a 1:2:2 ratio. I make a big batch so I can last a few months without having to make more. I put 2 tablespoons in around 4 cups of water and pour on my hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, then cowash and DC. This, I've found, is the ONLY way I can effectively cowash. Everything else leaves my hair mushy.

I love the way the teas mix with cowashing also.

I do an acv rinse as my final rinse (I don't rinse it out), which is a mix of hibiscus, maka, and fenugreek powders in a 1:1:1 ratio, then I add acv and aloe vera juice to make a pH of 5, some honeyquat and hemp seed oil. I make a huge batch and keep it refrigerated (I also add a preservative) and use after every wash.

This sounds just :lick: Do you have a recipe that you use or do you eyeball it?

Ltown

Greyland
Alright Flowin found the flower on mountain rose so I'll be getting that once I run out of the powder. thanks!

flowinlocks

@Ronnieaj the acv rinse does sound yummy. I just ordered some from Hairveda. I have never mixed my teas with my cheapie cond. for cowashing. I'll have to try that. I usually just dc on top of my tea before I rinse it out.

flowinlocks

Alright Flowin found the flower on mountain rose so I'll be getting that once I run out of the powder. thanks!

You're welcome. I see there is an announcement posted about the thank you button. I kinda figured he was in there tweaking stuff. I'm gonna order that mesh ball from Amazon.

Ltown

Greyland
Nope. I just sit the strainer in my pot of preboiled water and steep. I think it stays in because the powders swell when wet. I usually have to stir it up a bit. Just make sure the water doesn't overflow the water level isn't over the strainer.

To make it easier you could also try one a tea ball strainer. I think I'm getting this one from Amazon.

Another method is to make your own teabags. I would most likely get the large ones on the next page. No pic. available but you can get 50 for like $4.85.

ETA: Found it cheaper at Amazon.

I have that strainer, what I do is put powders in cheesecloth wrap it up and place in strainer than in pot. I do have tea bags paper which are small and bag teabags. Love the mixing.

Ronnie great receipe.

flowinlocks

I can get more powder in the cheesecloth, the paper teabags only allow 2tsp. The cloth teabags hold more but then you have to clean those out.

So you use the cheescloth to also avoid cleaning the strainer? I noticed the teabags came in larger sizes, but I wouldn't need them if I had this ball. I guess they would be cool if you wanted to have some ready for use to save time.

Aggie

You're welcome. I have been meaning to ask you. Have you ever used Cassia? I know how much you love the regular Henna.

No FL, I don't use cassia, only henna and indigo. By the way I like the 3 mesh ball strainer(?) as well. Looks very easy to use.

flowinlocks

No FL, I don't use cassia, only henna and indigo. By the way I like the 3 mesh ball strainer(?) as well. Looks very easy to use.

:yep: And it's cheap. The only thing with the strainer it sometimes I like to mix the powders around. When I use Fenugreek it tends to turn a gluey blob at the bottom and the other powders don't get properly moistened unless I stir them.

mkd

I have some hibiscus flower to make tea that I drink. Its really good. I never thought to use it as a tea rinse for my hair. I am going to try this friday.

Some ladies like to use the method of infusing oil in a jar with the herbs sitting on a windowsill in the sun for a few weeks. You will use your oils/oils of choice then place your powder/powders of choice in a kneehigh. Or a tea bag like I mention in a few posts back. Seal the jar shake up the mixture and let it sit and marinate. Then strain when ready for use.

I prefer to use the crock pot method. I have a tiny pot that I have dedicated to my infusions. I will add about 8oz of oil and a few tablespoons of powder. Then I will simmer this for a about 4 to 5 hours. Sometimes overnight. After that I will let it sit for a few days till the sludge/powder settles to the bottom. And pour the oil off the top. No straining! : ) You can also add a few drops of EO for fragrance.

Thank you, this sounds really easy.

flowinlocks

I have some hibiscus flower to make tea that I drink. Its really good. I never thought to use it as a tea rinse for my hair. I am going to try this friday.

Thank you, this sounds really easy.

I've read that it's suppose to be good for weight loss. What does it taste like?

choctaw

Never seen carribean shops around here if there is it probably on/in one of DC one way streets that I don't go by.

There are some markets in Maryland. I don't know if this data is current:
Caribbean Market
(301) 439-5288 (301) 439-5288
7505 New Hampshire Ave, #101, Takoma Park, MD 20912 Get directions
Cross Streets: Between Kingwood Dr and Merwood Dr

You may also find it in Indian groceries/markets. There is a large Indian population in the DC metro area. I believe some one posted an online site with the flowers., HTH

Ltown

Greyland
There are some markets in Maryland. I don't know if this data is current:
Caribbean Market
(301) 439-5288 (301) 439-5288
7505 New Hampshire Ave, #101, Takoma Park, MD 20912 Get directions
Cross Streets: Between Kingwood Dr and Merwood Dr

You may also find it in Indian groceries/markets. There is a large Indian population in the DC metro area. I believe some one posted an online site with the flowers., HTH

Oh I've been up there before. I'll be looking for the flower locally before I order. thanks!

I love Ayurveda! I haven't done a tea rinse in a few months since I started using megatek. Trying to figure out how to incorporate both without protein overload. Maybe I'll make an oil from my powder to scritch with.

Aggie

[/B]

:yep: And it's cheap. The only thing with the strainer it sometimes I like to mix the powders around. When I use Fenugreek it tends to turn a gluey blob at the bottom and the other powders don't get properly moistened unless I stir them.
Eewww, thank you for mentioning the bolded.

vie

I'm totally gonna love this thread. i know many hours are gonna be spent here cuz i subscribe to ayurvedic for hair care.

vie

i usually love tea with hibiscus in it. I bought an organic sangria tea from target with it in there thats really delicious