Are God and Jesus the same Person?

Kinkyhairlady

This may sound like a dumb question to some so forgive my ignorance. Lately the answer to this question has been on my mind and I would like to hear what some of you think about it. When I was younger I thought that God and Jesus were the same person but as I got older I started to question this. How can they be the same when God sent his only son Jesus to die for our sins. When Jesus was suffering on the cross he asked God why is this happening to him. There are a million writings in the bible that allow you to see they are not the same person.
The church teaches other wise, and state God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one. I just don’t get it. Also I don’t get where the Holy Spirit comes in either. My other question is when we pray do we pray to God or Jesus? Does it matter who we pray to? I sometimes start a prayer with Father God but end it with in Jesus name I pray. Does anyone know where I am coming from and can break this down for me?

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Ignorance, schignorance. No questions are stupid. You show intelligence! No. Three persons, One True G-d. Mystery of the H-ly Trinity. Here's one explanation I was given (can't paste and copy from there):

http://www.suscopts.org/q&a/index.php?catid=390

Maybe some of the ladies from protestant traditions will chime in??? They can roll off scripture so fast.

Last edited:

BeautifulFlower

I believe yes and no. Its a difficult concept to grasp and I dont believe any real human answer will suffice for me. They bible presents them as separate yet it also says they are equal (equal means same).

When it comes to prayer, the best way to understand the role of the Trinity in prayer is that we pray to the Father, through the Son, by the power of the Holy Spirit. All three are active participants in the believer’s prayer. http://www.gotquestions.org/pray-Father-Son-Spirit.html

blazingthru

What a great question, my son was asking me about this the other day. Jesus is God, God is plural. I'll come back with some scriptures. But remember a few, When God says let US make man in our image. in Genesis 1. And then later when he comes down to the tower of bable forgive my terrible spelling. He said let US go down and confused the language. Also in Genesis and in the garden of Eden he saids Man has become like US knowing good and evil. God refers to himself as plural.

Highly Favored8

Every one will have a difference of opinion on this some believe that They are one and the same. However, I always believed in the God-Head 3 in 1 Father, Holy Spirit, Son. JHMO.

BeautifulFlower

This is a good answer.
What a great question, my son was asking me about this the other day. Jesus is God, God is plural. I'll come back with some scriptures. But remember a few, When God says let US make man in our image. in Genesis 1. And then later when he comes down to the tower of bable forgive my terrible spelling. He said let US go down and confused the language. Also in Genesis and in the garden of Eden he saids Man has become like US knowing good and evil. God refers to himself as plural.

blazingthru

So I am at work and can't do what I wish to do so on a personal note. You can look up the character of God and then look up the character of Jesus and they will come together perfectly. Only God can forgive sins, Jesus forgave sins. Only God is to be worshipped, Jesus is always worshipped. I am going to study this out for myself since my son asked me this question just this morning. The bible is the Word of God, Jesus is the word. its really an interesting study.

I think the way you pray is fine. Jesus gave us an example of how to Pray and we always start with Father God. We end acknowledging that Jesus is our saving grace.

Last edited:

divya

This is my personal understanding...

I understand God as an indivisible partnership. Three Beings, One in purpose. Therefore, God can refer to Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit, because each is part of the Godhead.

1 John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (the Word in this case, refers to Jesus)

The extent of this unity is likely far beyond our human comprehension, at least while we are here on earth. It is sometimes said that when Jesus died on the cross and said "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me,?" that He was specifically calling out to the other members of the Godhead. Matt. 27:46 At that point, the burden of our sins caused a separation among them that had never existed before. Such was the pain and agony that Jesus endured for us, so greatly separated from the Father and the Holy Spirit who share such a deep and intertwined relationship. That unity is expressed to us as "Three in One."

Last edited:

joytimes10

God, Yeshua, and the Holy Spirit are three in One. It is a mystery. All are omnipotent, omnipresent, everlasting, uncreated and eternal. Elohim is plural for the Godhead. We cannot fully comprehend this because we are limited by our mortality for now we know in part. But, the redeemed shall one day be like Him and we shall see Him as He is. I can't wait!
Maranatha

HWAY

There are many who are deceived as to who God really is and who Jesus really is. For years, I was associated with an organization that taught Jesus was only a perfect man. I finally left that organization because this is not in accordance with the scriptures. For all that are unclear as whom Jesus actually is, please read the gospel of John and the letter to the Hebrews.

Kinkyhairlady

It seems everyone has sort of their own idea. Honestly I don't think we will ever understand the true answer until we meet with God ourselves. It seems majority of you see God as 3 persons which makes some sense I guess but I still don't understand the concept of some seeing him and Jesus as one. I will continue to worship as I have all these years, the Lord knows my heart and maybe he will may this clearer to me at some point.

royalty84

I agree with the previous posters: it IS a mystery :ohwell: but I find that the more I read the word and pray, I get more & more clarity as time goes by. I doubt anyone out there knows everything there is to know about this mystery :nono: . I'd like to liken it to natural things to help my understanding, like: An Apple: core, flesh, skin Fire: Heat, Fuel and Oxygen and umm Light: Red, Green and Blue. The objects mentioned are single objects, but are made up of 3 different elements, all equally important.

But here's what I do know: A majority of the time, when I pray, I pray to the father in Jesus' name because no one can come unto the father but by him. Jesus intercededs for us because when and Holy spirit gives us what to pray for. I thank them all though. I want to pray in agreement with Jesus, (who's already in agreement with the Father) and the one who can clue me in on that would be the word of course, and Holy Spirit. The bible says that a three-fold cord is not easily broken. And with all this agreement going on, we're going somewhere! :yep:

They're all persons with personalities, so why not chat w/ them all? I could be wrong, but since God is one I don't think if one minds the other being prayed to. Just Pray!! lol

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

I hadn't previously comprehended the deep level of differences in theology between all the christian sects. It's important to ask of these questions...varying answers reveal much. So are most of your answers based upon personal opinion or interpretation of scripture or based upon what your church teaches? This is one of the best questions asked in this forum!

dicapr

St. John 10:30: "I and my Father are one."

One but not the same person, right?

That's correct. They are "one" in purpose and mind. Jesus' will is to do the will of the Father. The Holy Spirit reveals God's will to us. There is one will and agenda in heaven, therefore God is One. There is unity and oneness in the carrying out the will of the Father. The bible tells us that in a Godly marriage two become one flesh. Just as the couple still exsists as individuals, their efforts and beings are (supposed) united.

GV-NA-GI-TLV-GE-I

Silly me...I forgot one orthodox prayer.....

"In the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the H-ly Spirit, G-d is One." It merges the Shema ("Hear O Israel," reaffirming the Oneness of G-d and as the G-d of Israel). Yup, three persons in unity.

Crown

The book of Revelations gives a very good description.
Rev. 4:2 And immediately I was in the spirit: and, behold, a throne was set in heaven, and one sat on the throne. 4:3 And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald.
5:1 And I saw in the right hand of him that sat on the throne a book written within and on the backside, sealed with seven seals.
5:5 And one of the elders saith unto me, Weep not: behold, the Lion of the tribe of Juda, the Root of David, hath prevailed to open the book, and to loose the seven seals thereof. 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.
5:7 And he came and took the book out of the right hand of him that sat upon the throne.
21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it.

Crown

God is a person, the Father. Jesus the Christ is a person, the Son of God. The Holy Spirit is not a person, the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God.

Deut. 6:4 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD.

1Cor. 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

1Cor. 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 15:23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Rev. 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to show unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John

2Pet. 1:17 For he received from God the Father honor and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

Luke 1:26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth… 1:34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 1:35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.

Psalm 104:30 Thou sendest forth thy Spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.

Crown

Prayer
1Tim. 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus
Mat. 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.
Eph. 5:20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ
Eph. 3:14 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 3:15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man; 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love…
Col. 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father by him.

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
well said!

This is my personal understanding...

I understand God as an indivisible partnership. Three Beings, One in purpose. Therefore, God can refer to Father, Son and/or Holy Spirit, because each is part of the Godhead.

1 John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (the Word in this case, refers to Jesus)

The extent of this unity is likely far beyond our human comprehension, at least while we are here on earth. It is sometimes said that when Jesus died on the cross and said "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken me,?" that He was specifically calling out to the other members of the Godhead. Matt. 27:46 At that point, the burden of our sins caused a separation among them that had never existed before. Such was the pain and agony that Jesus endured for us, so greatly separated from the Father and the Holy Spirit who share such a deep and intertwined relationship. That unity is expressed to us as "Three in One."

hair_rehab

This may sound like a dumb question to some so forgive my ignorance. Lately the answer to this question has been on my mind and I would like to hear what some of you think about it. When I was younger I thought that God and Jesus were the same person but as I got older I started to question this. How can they be the same when God sent his only son Jesus to die for our sins. When Jesus was suffering on the cross he asked God why is this happening to him. There are a million writings in the bible that allow you to see they are not the same person.
The church teaches other wise, and state God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit are one. I just don’t get it. Also I don’t get where the Holy Spirit comes in either. My other question is when we pray do we pray to God or Jesus? Does it matter who we pray to? I sometimes start a prayer with Father God but end it with in Jesus name I pray. Does anyone know where I am coming from and can break this down for me?

When you pray in Jesus' name, you are praying to God with the power and authority of Jesus:

John 14:13-14 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. 14 You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.

Yup, they are the same, but they have three different that "roles/responsiblities" .

Similiarly, I am "EbonyHairedPrincess": I am a mother, a wife and a daughter.
For each one of my roles (mother, wife and daughter) I have a different relationship and responsibility.

God is Jesus: (Lamb, Deliverer, Healer)

God is the Holy Spirit: (Comforter, Still Small Voice "Counselor" , Gives Power To Perform Miracles)

God is God: (Our Father, The Creator Of All Things, The Provider Of All Things)

Nice & Wavy

Yup, they are the same, but they have three different that "roles/responsiblities" .

Similiarly, I am "EbonyHairedPrincess": I am a mother, a wife and a daughter.
For each one of my roles (mother, wife and daughter) I have a different relationship and responsibility.

God is Jesus: (Lamb, Deliverer, Healer)

God is the Holy Spirit: (Comforter, Still Small Voice "Counselor" , Gives Power To Perform Miracles)

God is God: (Our Father, The Creator Of All Things, The Provider Of All Things)
This is exactly what I was going to say...good for you, sis!

This is what we are instructed to do. Jesus made it possible for us to approach God.

"And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

"If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (
John 14: 13-14.)