Should Christians have images of Jesus/God/Biblical Characters?

SND411

A True Soldier Never Dies
Today at my church, the pastor spoke about how when he was a child, he envisioned God to look at an aged old man with a white beard, long hair, sandals, and of a fair complexion. Basically, he formed God in his own image.
He also touched on how Jews and Muslims do not believe in having images and how this correlates with their staunch monotheism.

I feel like we should not have images of God, for since God is Spirit, He does not have flesh or bones or "figure." God is not human. I also feel like images of Jesus have distracted many Christians. With racial tensions being ever so present in society, some are too busy challenging the way Christ looked like when He was on Earth. One can even look at the recent documentary on revealing what Jesus may have appeared like.

What's your take? Obviously people may say as long as you do not view a picture of Jesus as an idol, it's fine, but I cannot believe that those same people may have those images when they pray/think about God.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
If He had changed His mind on this, someone had better show me. I tend to keep my walk on the narrow path simple and clear. Unfortunately, DH still has two winged angels he received upon his mother's death. He knows where the idea came from and will let them go one day.

Guitarhero

Well, Jesus did come in the flesh, visibly. And his apostles and others had made a likeness of him that has been carried throughout the ages. I'm talking of ancient icons and not of European paintings. Maybe He was saying that He's the Lord of the Sabbath and scripture, not the other way around. There are many things which seem conflicted in the scriptures.

Last edited:

aribell

formerly nicola.kirwan
I feel like we should not have images of God, for since God is Spirit, He does not have flesh or bones or "figure." God is not human. I also feel like images of Jesus have distracted many Christians. With racial tensions being ever so present in society, some are too busy challenging the way Christ looked like when He was on Earth. One can even look at the recent documentary on revealing what Jesus may have appeared like.

God did come in the flesh, though. He took on human nature and became seeable, touchable, hearable. I don't think that the Lord has an issue with presenting Himself to us in a way that we can understand--that is what He has to do to communicate with us.

As far as pictures go, personally I find no use or benefit of looking at or meditating on pictures or statues of Jesus. I'm also not concerned about what He looked like. Even if He did have blonde hair and blue eyes, that would make Him no less my Savior.

Mahalialee4

Today at my church, the pastor spoke about how when he was a child, he envisioned God to look at an aged old man with a white beard, long hair, sandals, and of a fair complexion. Basically, he formed God in his own image.
He also touched on how Jews and Muslims do not believe in having images and how this correlates with their staunch monotheism.

What's your take? Obviously people may say as long as you do not view a picture of Jesus as an idol, it's fine, but I cannot believe that those same people may have those images when they pray/think about God.

You might want to check a Bible Concordance (Perhaps Strong's) under 'images' 'idols', 'idolatry'. Then look at the Scriptures and see what happened eventually to God's people when they got involved with images and idolatry. You should get a lot of information straight from the mouth of God that may answer your questions and confirm your beliefs.

Mamita

Back to basics
i have to say catholic views messed me up cause unconsciously i still sometimes picture that white hippie lol

then i have to think and be logical, i never seen a jew look like that, and he preached against long hair for men and it's said he wasn't attractive at all

so i have to force myself to think of an ugly lil man with a tan and black hair and short sheep like hair lool

if every image shows a white guy with blue eyes and blond hair, and people picture that to pray, it is idolatry because there's no way Jesus looked like that, and there's most certainly someone who's looked like that one day and that's who we're idolating (?) that's why any fixed image of anything that's in heaven or on earth is an obstacle to our spirituality. we have to be smart and not mind that the image in our head is ever changing in the limits of what's possible and what was written

azuquita_morena

I totally agree. I grew up in a household where we did not have any images. My mom took that having no graven images to heart. We couldn't even watch many religious movies due to the depiction of Jesus in them. I actually still continue this even until this day. I don't have any images in my mind of God, and I know the depiction of Jesus that has been shown throughout the ages is inacurate. I really feel like this is the way it should be. I can't explain it, it's just a feeling I have. I'm with the Jewish and Muslims on this one.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

Graven images of a false God and images representing the one True God are different things altogether...just to make mention of that.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
When people use idols and images, they really aren't showing true faith. Their faith is based on sight. In the Bible, only false gods were worshiped by idols. God banned the use of images/ idols in His worship.

nathansgirl1908

I understand what you are saying, but I believe neither is acceptable in the eyes of God according to the Bible.

But did He ban the likeness of His OWN image?

And does everyone who happens to have a picture of Jesus actually worship the picture?

I have never had such a picture, but I know people who do, and for them it was just simply put: having an image of the God they serve in their house. They weren't worshiping it in any form or fashion.

This is one of those instances where I think the saying: "God knows your heart" comes into being. I personally believe that when the Word speaks against graven images and such that it was referring to worshiping and idolizing things such as statues of Buddha for example.

Mamita

Back to basics
When people use idols and images, they really aren't showing true faith. Their faith is based on sight. In the Bible, only false gods were worshiped by idols. God banned the use of images/ idols in His worship.

yeaaah true I forgot romans 8 24] For we are saved by hope: but hope that is seen is not hope: for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?
[25] But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.

and i think in God's holy plan the fact we are not supposed to have any idea what he or Jesus looks like is important and a part of the process. It just makes sense to me with the plan revealed in the scriptures. That's real faith

Mamita

Back to basics

And does everyone who happens to have a picture of Jesus actually worship the picture?

I have never had such a picture, but I know people who do, and for them it was just simply put: having an image of the God they serve in their house. They weren't worshiping it in any form or fashion.

This is one of those instances where I think the saying: "God knows your heart" comes into being. I personally believe that when the Word speaks against graven images and such that it was referring to worshiping and idolizing things such as statues of Buddha for example.

yeah but don't you know someone's heart from their fruits? such as needing an image of the Lord they serve not being content with just his blessings and his word?

azuquita_morena

As quoted by Nymphe in this thread:

Exodus 20:4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

I take this to mean including God Himself and Jesus.

Guitarhero

:yep: Icons are actually windows into heaven. They remind of us the life of the person they represent and there is a spiritual aspect to them, drawing one closer to the one represented. I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with them but they are highly stylized and the colors and positioning tell a story of the characteristic of the person.

I personally comprehend everyone's opinions about it but I wished they understood ours. We are not worshipping graven images. Those are false gods. I dunno lol. I did used to wonder how Jesus could be God, a mere human. But somehow, it's all been worked out, blessed icons and all.

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

I totally agree. I grew up in a household where we did not have any images. My mom took that having no graven images to heart. We couldn't even watch many religious movies due to the depiction of Jesus in them. I actually still continue this even until this day. I don't have any images in my mind of God, and I know the depiction of Jesus that has been shown throughout the ages is inacurrate. I really feel like this is the way it should be. I can't explain it, it's just a feeling I have. I'm with the Jewish and Muslims on this one.

A rose called by any other name....is still a rose.
So is a cabbage. Those familiar with history recognize that pagan idols have been renamed to make them acceptable to Christians. Pagans know this. The world knows this. Seems like the only ones who overlook it are those who want to have graven images and idols as part of their worship. Change the names and say it is for a 'good cause' and they are good to go. Trace those idols and images and all roads lead back to Babylon......This practice of images, was embraced in every world empire. But, hey, the Bible talks about 'not communicating with the DEAD, too'... yet many choose to pray to and talk to 'DEAD saints'. Does this mean that there are no 'live saints' to consider as examples? Raises many questions, doesn't it?....

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Isaiah 53:2 He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him.

2 Corinthians 5:7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.
Images are a distraction, made important in corporal men’s minds. The only image we should worry about is the spiritual one Jesus painted for us. Nothing has changed.

Mahalialee4

Here are some Scriptures to consider:

Deuteronomy 5:8 “Thou shalt NOT MAKE THEE 'ANY' GRAVEN IMAGE, or 'ANY' LIKENESS any likeness of 'ANY THING' THAT IS IN HEAVEN ABOVE, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the waters beneath the earth: 9Thou SHALT NOT BOW DOWN THYSELF UNTO THEM, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God AM A JEALOUS GOD, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me, 10And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me and keep my commandments”.
Deuteronomy 4:16 “ so that you do not act corruptly and make a graven image for yourselves in the form of any figure, the likeness of male or female,”
Romans 1: 19 “Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them. 20For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse: 21Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into AN IMAGE LIKE TO CORRUPTIBLE MAN, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
"

Apparently He is speaking to His people...and He is speaking on the matter of Worship. Now different people who say they are His people, have differering views on His Word, but I do not read anywhere in this that He made ANY exceptions. I personally take it that He is saying 'Do NOT EVEN MAKE ANY....OF ANYTHING.....' LET ALONE "BOW DOWN' TO 'ANY' OF 'ANYTHING'. I appreciate that there are those that will say: "that is not what He was saying, therefore that is NOT what He meant." So be it. That is on them. I am accountable for Me.

Last edited:

Guitarhero

I dunno, I'm rather suprised at the responses. Not angry, it is a little comical. I can understand the misunderstanding though about why we have them. It's that interpretation thingy again. We certainly are different and it's important to me to know how others see us. I'm just a little shocked because it's so natural. I'm all for knowing things first-hand.

For me it's a reminder everytime I see it that this world is temporal and that His is everlasting. Um, that's in addition to reading the Word. It's really not the case we are weak at all. I am rather strengthened by it. But then again, I prefer to use the image He has allowed us to see of His actual self. I know that one is going to get rolled eyes lolol. I bow before the altar whenever I cross in front of it. I also kneel at Mary's altar. Being catholic is not going to make me ashamed I'm "different" and all the other catholic lurkers shouldn't feel that way either. It's out of repect. If I loved my mother, imagine how Jesus loved His. God bless us all here together despite our troubles comprehending each other in this one body of Christ. :yep: It's really not that serious. Hell-fire is not awaiting, whether one does or doesn't. We're simply ancient culture.

2 Chron. 7:14

14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. NKJV

That's an incredible deep scripture.

Last edited:

azuquita_morena

See, I don't get that "if you don't follow it this particular way that you will go straight to hell" thing. That goes against my beliefs. I wish I knew all the answers, but I don't. My beliefs come from what I read and interpret from my Bible. Most of the time, I read it literally, unless it is in the form of parable and the like. I don't belong to any denomination, but I do understand that people have different interpretations.

Actually this thread does bring up the question if God would understand ones intentions if you do something that *may* be contrary to what is stated in the Bible. Like in this thread how they are people who have images that are not of pagan idols, but of Jesus for example. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. However, I believe in a more merciful God than most people, so I would *think* he does.

I dunno, I'm rather suprised at the responses. Not angry, it is a little comical. I can understand the misunderstanding though about why we have them. It's that interpretation thingy again. We certainly are different and it's important to me to know how others see us. I'm just a little shocked because it's so natural. I'm all for knowing things first-hand.

For me it's a reminder everytime I see it that this world is temporal and that His is everlasting. Um, that's in addition to reading the Word. It's really not the case we are weak at all. I am rather strengthened by it. But then again, I prefer to use the image He has allowed us to see of His actual self. I know that one is going to get rolled eyes lolol. I bow before the altar whenever I cross in front of it. I also kneel at Mary's altar. Being catholic is not going to make me ashamed I'm "different" and all the other catholic lurkers shouldn't feel that way either. It's out of repect. If I loved my mother, imagine how Jesus loved His. God bless us all here together despite our troubles comprehending each other in this one body of Christ. :yep: It's really not that serious. Hell-fire is not awaiting, whether one does or doesn't. We're simply ancient culture.

2 Chron. 7:14

14 if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. NKJV

That's an incredible deep scripture.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
See, I don't get that "if you don't follow it this particular way that you will go straight to hell" thing. That goes against my beliefs. I wish I knew all the answers, but I don't. My beliefs come from what I read and interpret from my Bible. Most of the time, I read it literally, unless it is in the form of parable and the like. I don't belong to any denomination, but I do understand that people have different interpretations.

Actually this thread does bring up the question if God would understand ones intentions if you do something that *may* be contrary to what is stated in the Bible. Like in this thread how they are people who have images that are not of pagan idols, but of Jesus for example. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure. However, I believe in a more merciful God than most people, so I would *think* he does.
I think the main problem is very few ask Him what He thinks, wait for the answer and accept it. Until then, we have the example we need to follow: Jesus.

Guitarhero

Thank you. I never have either. That very thing has so literally ripped the soul out of so many people and I believe it grieves God. But somehow, He lets one know where they should be. You just gotta keep on keeping on.:yep: You can't believe the things that "well-meaning" christians have said to me.

nathansgirl1908

yeah but don't you know someone's heart from their fruits? such as needing an image of the Lord they serve not being content with just his blessings and his word?

I fail to see how you deduce that they are not content with just His blessings and His Word from the fact that they have a picture of Him on their wall.

That just sounds over-the-top and extra to me.

It is attitudes like this that make me very hesitant and reluctant to engage in discussions with others about religious issues.

nathansgirl1908

I take this to mean including God Himself and Jesus.

Which makes absolutely no sense to me.

And I still don't understand why people are assuming that because someone has a picture up, that they are worshiping it. What do you think there people are doing with the pictures? Sacrificing animals beneath its position on the wall?

And does this mean that people who have up family photos are worshiping the family member depicted in the photo?

nathansgirl1908

You can't believe the things that "well-meaning" christians have said to me.

Same here. But I have come to realize that some of them are not "well-meaning." In many instances they are trying to show that they are spiritually superior to you. More Holy then you are. But what they fail to realize is that they show their true colors by the things they say.

I'm just thankful that I serve a god who imposes discipline, but who doesn't operate by the same rigid, unbending, and often ridiculous beliefs and notions of man. We would ALL be in trouble if that was the case.

azuquita_morena

Not sure this was directed at me, but I definitely do not want to come of that way. I was just stating what *I* believe. If you agree, cool, if not, still cool. I'm just a person that likes to engage in conversation. I believe from discussions with people of opposing views, you do learn. Actually that's the story of my life lol.

I definitely don't claim to know it all. I'm actually re-entering my path towards spirituality after some rough times I went through during my college & post-college years. Plus, I grew up pretty much having beliefs different than everyone else. Sort of like a religious/spiritual outcast. I've experience all and heard all in regards to the "spiritually superior" people. So, I do understand where you are coming from.

In regards to the previous question, I really took that to mean literally nothing in the Heavens, nor below the Earth we should have a graven image. To me, this would include no graven images of angels or demons as well. Some people may not have as strict of interpretation. However, I do and it works for me. I don't personally need those images to have faith and know they exists. Of course, the way I worship God is different from others as well.

Same here. But I have come to realize that some of them are not "well-meaning." In many instances they are trying to show that they are spiritually superior to you. More Holy then you are. But what they fail to realize is that they show their true colors by the things they say.

I'm just thankful that I serve a god who imposes discipline, but who doesn't operate by the same rigid, unbending, and often ridiculous beliefs and notions of man. We would ALL be in trouble if that was the case.

Last edited:

nathansgirl1908

Not sure this was directed at me, but I definitely do not want to come of that way. I was just stating what *I* believe. If you agree, cool, if not, still cool. I'm just a person that likes to engage in conversation. I belief from discussions with people of opposing views, you do learn. Actually that's the story of my life lol.

I definitely don't claim to know it all. I'm actually re-entering my path towards spirituality after some rough times I went through during my college & post-college years. Plus, I grew up pretty much having beliefs different than everyone else. Sort of like a religious/spiritual outcast. I've experience all and heard all in regards to the "spiritually superior" people. So, I do understand where you are coming from.

In regards to the previous question, I really took that to mean literally nothing in the Heavens, nor below the Earth we should have a graven image. To me, this would include no graven images of angels or demons as well. Some people may not have as strict of interpretation. However, I do and it works for me. I don't personally need those images to have faith and know they exists. Of course, the way I worship God is different from others as well.

It is good that we can have this discussion. :yep:

I admit that I am curious as to how this belief "works for you." Is it that you believe that you would find yourself worshiping the picture?

As I mentioned previously, I take the part in the Word about graven images to mean things like Buddha statues and such. Things that have no relation whatsoever to God.

Last edited:

azuquita_morena

It is that, but mostly that I feel some kind of way worshipping an image that is most likely inaccurate. No one knows what He looks like, and I *feel* that the reason why we don't know exactly how He looks and why we shouldn't have an image in mind is that it does not matter in terms with your walk with Him.

Again this is my sentiment. I feel that why does it say, no graven images of what is above in the Heavens (which would include God, angels) and in the Earth below (Satan, demons) if that's not what it meant. I guess maybe some people interpret that not as literal as I do.

It is good that we can have this discussion. :yep:

I admit that I am curious as to how this belief "works for you." Is it that you believe that you would find yourself worshiping the picture?

As I mentioned previously, I take the part in the Word about graven images to mean things like Buddha statues and such. Things that have no relation whatsoever to God.

Guitarhero

Not sure this was directed at me, but I definitely do not want to come of that way. I was just stating what *I* believe. If you agree, cool, if not, still cool. I'm just a person that likes to engage in conversation. I believe from discussions with people of opposing views, you do learn. Actually that's the story of my life lol.

To the first bolded, I'm sure not. We often bring into the discussion our own personal struggles with people not at all represented here.

To the second bolded, taken from scriptures, God told Moises to fashion a pole with a snake for healing the people if they were bitten and gazed upon it. The cross is that symbol since the day Jesus was crucified upon it. We look to Him that was lifted up.

Numbers 21: 6-9
[SIZE=-1]6Then the Lord sent venomous snakes among them; they bit the people and many Israelites died. 7The people came to Moses and said, "We sinned when we spoke against the Lord and against you. Pray that the Lord will take the snakes away from us." So Moses prayed for the people. 8The Lord said to Moses, "Make a snake and put it up on a pole; anyone who is bitten can look at it and live." 9So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, he lived.[/SIZE]

It's not without incident that the medical symbol is actually taken from ancient times, Moises.

John 8:28 So Jesus said, "When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and I do nothing on My own initiative, but I speak these things as the Father taught Me.

This wasn't just speaking of praise and worship as we could say. He was lifted up on a cross, a visible symbol or object of adoration, held dear to all christians. We make that sign on our foreheads and it is the sign spoken of.

[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]Ezechiel 9:4[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif]And the Lord said to him: Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem: and mark Thau upon the foreheads of the men that sigh, and mourn for all the abominations that are committed in the midst thereof. [/FONT]

Revelations 22:4
They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.

John 12:32
As for me, if I am lifted up from the earth, I will draw all people to myself."

The most holy object, the Ark of the Covenant. Images of cherubim. Sacred ceremony was held regarding it.

Joshua 3:11
"Behold, the ark of the covenant of the Lord of all the earth"

The command was not to make a symbol such that one worshipped any God that was not the God of Israel. Of course, this is the lesson I was given and is not an attempt to change anybody's beliefs. I'm representing why WE do things that way. I won't just sit back and have folks calling us pagans when I know it's not true. :lachen: Gotta represent :lachen: at least to set the story straight. People can do and think what they want.

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

I thought that this information might be useful.
I posted a historical note regarding Catholics and the Ten Commandments, and then I posted the Catholic site that gives both the Catholic and Protestant Commandments, and there it also includes the Scripture that the Lists were taken from:

Historical note: The Pope deleted the 2nd of the 10 commandments so they could use statues & images in worship. They split the 10th commandment on coveting into two commandments so they could still have 10 in number. Don’t believe this? Look at the list of 10 commandments published by the Roman Catholic church! The issue here is not how the Ten Commandments are numbered, rather the issue is that most published lists of the 10 commandments do not include the words, "you shall not make for yourself an idol". Open your Catholic Bible and look for yourself!
http://www.catholicbible101.com/thetencommandments.htm
Commandments
The Ten Commandments as handed down by God to Moses on Mt. Sinai were the beginning of the nation of Israel, when they were leaving Egypt as slaves, for freedom in the promised land. They were considered to be the Law of God for his chosen people. There are, however, some major differences in interpretation. There is a difference in what the Catholic Church uses as the Ten Commandments and what the protestant churches use. In the Catholic Church they are as follows:

1. I, the Lord, am your God. You shall not have other gods besides me.
2. You shall not take the name of the Lord God in vain
3. Remember to keep holy the Lord's Day
4. Honor your father and your mother
5. You shall not kill
6. You shall not commit adultery
7. You shall not steal
8. You shall not bear false witness
9. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife
10. You shall not covet your neighbor's goods

In the Protestant Churches, they are as follows, with the differences highlighted:

1. You shall have no other gods but me.
2. You shall not make unto you any graven images
3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain!
4. You shall remember the Sabbath and keep it holy
5. Honor your mother and father
6. You shall not murder
7. You shall not commit adultery
8. You shall not steal
9. You shall not bear false witness
10. You shall not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor

The differences are that the protestant churches forbid any graven images, the word “kill” is replaced by the word “murder”, and they lump all covetous things together, while the Catholic Church specifically adds the prohibition of coveting your neighbor’s wife. Why the differences?

The 10 Commandments come to us from Exodus 20:2-17, which reads as follows:

I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And showing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Honor thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

Thou shalt not kill.

Thou shalt not commit adultery.

Thou shalt not steal.

Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that is thy neighbor's.

From Exodus 20, one can see that either list is an abbreviated version of the prohibitions. How they are abbreviated is the key. The Catholic Church has had its list of 10 Commandments for around 2000 years, while the protestant churches have had their list for almost 500 years.

http://www.catholicbible101.com/thetencommandments.htm