Aphohee 2 Step Ruined My Night!

Ms. Martina

So... I did a 2 step treatment tonight and my hair feels different now. It is harder and feels dry. I noticed the difference after I rinsed out the protin treatment. I did the Aphogee moisture after the protein, after I rinsed it out my hair still felt rough and dry. After that I did an Ion extreme moisture treatment. I then rinsed that out in the shower and my hair was very tangled and still felt rough. I have had a VERY easy transition, so this is ticking me off. I added some Aussie moist while combing my hair in the shower, and that barely helped. The protein treatment has made my hair different! It never does this. I can normally just use my hands to detangle in the shower, but not tonight.:nono:

My curls looked jacked as well...lol. When they dried the were all hard, shriveled and dry looking. They had MAJOR shrinkage...lol. I ended up just flat ironing my hair because it was not looking good in its curly state. :ohwell:

So...my question is this. When will the effects of the treatment wear off?? I won't be washing it again for another week or so since it is flat ironed and I want to enjoy my straight style. So...what do I need to do, and when will my hair be smooth and luscious again????

ETA: I forgot to add that my hair feels mostly normal in its flat ironed state. It is bouncy smooth with just a little extra texture (if that makes any sense). It is only harder and etc in it's curly state, which is partially why I don't want to wash it again for another week. I'm transitioning and it is much easier for me to wear my hair flat ironed right now. Especially since I have job stuff going on this week, and my hair needs to fit the image of a TV news personality. Washing it any sooner might cause damage since it is even more dry in it's curly state. Plus keeping it flat ironed means I will have less manipulation this week. More manipulation equals more breakage for me. I think I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, and if I notice it breaking or starting to look different, then I will just give in and do some moisture treatments. I need to at least make it through the next 3 days with my hair this way for job stuff though.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't need that heavy of a protein treatment in the first place. Did you wash the treatment out thoroughly though? I used to wash my hair out for 7-10 minutes when I used ApHogee 2 Step to make sure it was ALL out.

You're experiencing protein overload and the effects are different for everyone, therefore it could be a long or short time before your hair is normal again depending on your regimen, how you combat it, and products used. I say stick to only moisture-based conditioners and treatments until your hair has recovered then use light protein treatments. A good moisturizing conditioner that people rave about in terms of saving them from protein overload is Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Deep Conditioner.

Last edited:
I can't tell you how long...but I can tell you to be careful and continue moisturizing the heck out of it till the effects run off. Aphogee, I realize others love it...but I will never touch again...it is just too much protein and really if your hair doesn't need it, even after moisturizing away...it can potentially cause a setback.

Good luck!

Sorry this happened to you.
I did an aphogee treatment over the past weekend and I have not ever done the 2-step treatment (at least not as a natural and I was very skeptical).

So I chose not to use the balancing moitzr. cond (the mineral oil and my past experience with this one is why I made that choice).

I used the shampoo, let the whole packet of the step 1 protein treatmnt. stay on until hard (I actually left it on almost a whole day) without using the dryer.

Then cause I was skeptical I got my AO HSR cond ready for a co-wash (since I know it softens/moisturizes my hair).

I did a couple co-washes with HSR and prepared for my normal DC (which also consists of some proteins).

But I use heat often so (I know I am somewhat breaking down my protein bonds).

Anyway my DC is lekair choles. cond, tigi oatmeal and honey cond., org. honey, e.o. oils, jojoba, castor, and herbs (milk thistle/marshmallow root).

Steamed hair and it's back to normal (maybe stronger). Because when I rinsed (before co-washes) I had rougher than normal hair.

Last edited:
Sounds like you didn't need that heavy of a protein treatment in the first place. Did you wash the treatment out thoroughly though? I used to wash my hair out for 7-10 minutes when I used ApHogee 2 Step to make sure it was ALL out.

You're experiencing protein overload and the effects are different for everyone, therefore it could be a long or short time before your hair is normal again depending on your regimen, how you combat it, and products used. I say stick to only moisture-based conditioners and treatments until your hair has recovered then use light protein treatments. A good moisturizing conditioner that people rave about in terms of saving them from protein overload is Silk Elements MegaSilk Moisturizing Deep Conditioner.

Well Said and yes SE Megasilk Moisturizing Deep Conditioning Treatment is what I use too for any balalncing as well as regular DC.

Try using a Evolve Cholesterol/Conditioning Cap with SE MEgasilk for about 1-3 hours it should set you balance back on track!

Same thing happened to me. It went away after a couple of shampoo's..

I was thinking about using it again this weekend but i'm guessing it's not a good idea? I thought that's how my hair was supposed to feel after a protein treatment..but if that's not how it's supposed to feel can someone tell me some lighter treatments?

It's a pretty heavy protein treatment. Just do a moisturizing DC every few days for a couple of weeks to get your moisture balance back

I was thinking about using it again this weekend but i'm guessing it's not a good idea? I thought that's how my hair was supposed to feel after a protein treatment..but if that's not how it's supposed to feel can someone tell me some lighter treatments?

Exactly at the bolded. I only use it in the case of serious damage. Otherwise I would use a milder protein treatment

silk elements is an amazing moisturizing conditioner...others recommended it in the thread (I second, or third that).] and I just had to agree.

It is one of TWO conditioners that I just loooove.

Last edited:
The Aphogee moisture conditioner shouldn't be packaged with that treatment. It's notorious for not doing anything to replenish moisture after such a hard treatment. Use your go-to faithful moisturizing deep conditioner a couple of times and you should be fine. The first time I did it (relaxed), I had that experience. The second time, I used what I knew worked and had no issues.

Thanks ladies! So would it be okay to wait and wash my hair next week?? It is flat ironed, and I don't want to ruin all the hard work I put into it last night...

I think restoring your moisture balance is more important that the style at this point. Do you think your hair can wait another week?

If your hair is good with oils, I would add oils to your DC. Perhaps even steam or overnight DC and/or baggy if that alone doesn't help. For protein I just add egg to my dc's/henna treatment or use the aphogee 2 min. Avocado is also protein but really moisturizing as well. But since you did such a heavy protein treatment you most likely won't need another one for a month or two. The main thing you should work on is getting your moisture balance in check.

Here's a link to a post Aireen listed.http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=528631
It lists hard, milder (proteins), and reconstructors you might want to consider. It really is trial and error for your individual hair.

OP- Just echoing everyone else moisture, moisture, moisture and a lightweight protein for you from here on out.

I think restoring your moisture balance is more important that the style at this point. Do you think your hair can wait another week?

I forgot to add that my hair feels mostly normal in its flat ironed state. It is bouncy smooth with just a little extra texture (if that makes any sense). It is only harder and etc in it's curly state, which is partially why I don't want to wash it again for another week. I'm transitioning and it is much easier for me to wear my hair flat ironed right now. Especially since I have job stuff going on this week, and my hair needs to fit the image of a TV news personality. Washing it any sooner might cause damage since it is even more dry in it's curly state. Plus keeping it flat ironed means I will have less manipulation this week. More manipulation equals more breakage for me. I think I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, and if I notice it breaking or starting to look different, then I will just give in and do some moisture treatments. I need to at least make it through the next 3 days with my hair this way for job stuff though.:sekret:

I forgot to add that my hair feels mostly normal in its flat ironed state. It is bouncy smooth with just a little extra texture (if that makes any sense). It is only harder and etc in it's curly state, which is partially why I don't want to wash it again for another week. I'm transitioning and it is much easier for me to wear my hair flat ironed right now. Especially since I have job stuff going on this week, and my hair needs to fit the image of a TV news personality. Washing it any sooner might cause damage since it is even more dry in it's curly state. Plus keeping it flat ironed means I will have less manipulation this week. More manipulation equals more breakage for me. I think I'm going to keep an eye on it for the next couple of days, and if I notice it breaking or starting to look different, then I will just give in and do some moisture treatments. I need to at least make it through the next 3 days with my hair this way for job stuff though.:sekret:

Oh ok, if it feels fine then you should be ok. I know what you mean about a little extra texure. My hair felt like that after henna. I think your next wash and a really good DC should get you back right.

Back