Aphogee 2-step confusion

OsnapCnapp!

Hey everyone. Well last night I did an Aphogee protein treatment on my hair. Prior to, I washed and combed my hair out. After I rinsed out all of the treatment, I used the balancing moisturizer. Ok......then I dc'd in the shower and whoa.....hair was falling all over the place. I mean it was just falling, falling, falling. I was so damn mad. During the treatment I didn't touch my hair....it was too hard to touch anyway. I didn't do anything wrong or out of the ordinary. I dc'd with lustrasilk cholesterol, nothing major and nothing that ever caused my hair to do that.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Hair falling or breaking after doing the protein treatment?

13StepsAhead

Hey everyone. Well last night I did an Aphogee protein treatment on my hair. Prior to, I washed and combed my hair out. After I rinsed out all of the treatment, I used the balancing moisturizer. Ok......then I dc'd in the shower and whoa.....hair was falling all over the place. I mean it was just falling, falling, falling. I was so damn mad. During the treatment I didn't touch my hair....it was too hard to touch anyway. I didn't do anything wrong or out of the ordinary. I dc'd with lustrasilk cholesterol, nothing major and nothing that ever caused my hair to do that.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Hair falling or breaking after doing the protein treatment?

I did experience breakage after the treatment and determined that it could have been 1 of 2 things for MY hair- 1.my hair didn't like strong proteins like that or my ends just needed to be cut. Since I've done the protein treatment in the past with no problems I figured that couldn’t be it, so I ended up trimming an inch off and the breakage was gone. Not sure if this is the case for you, but it may be something to think about; maybe you hair can't take strong proteins.

Krystle~Hime

wow.. you make me scared :sad: was it lots of lil pieces of hair falling(which will mean breakage), or its wait FULL HAIR STRANDS falling???
when did you notice the hair falling ? just after rinsing aphogee or after DCing ?

so weird :s

besides that, Aphogee 2 step does a great job on my hair, I do this treatment when I really feel my hair need it, when hair is dry even after receiving moisturizing treatment, I think it's like i need to regulate the balance !
the elasticity strand test is also great i've read.

Last edited:

vtoodler

Many people have complained about shedding caused by the Aphogee 2-step treatment?

I wonder why that's so. I know that it's a hard protein and that too much protein can cause shedding. However, I haven't heard such complaints about hard proteins, such as Emergencee or Dudley's DRC-28.

Could it also be because Aphogee dries hard?

mEmYSELFaNDj

I used that 2 step treatment in March and although I didnt notice any breakage right away, a few weeks later when I straightened my hair my ends were definitely thinner and broken in certain sections of my head, the only thing I could think of that could have caused it was that treatment. It was the only thing I had done different from my usual regi. Luckily my ends have begun to thicken back up.

OsnapCnapp!

wow.. you make me scared :sad: was it lots of lil pieces of hair falling(which will mean breakage), or its wait FULL HAIR STRANDS falling???
when did you notice the hair falling ? just after rinsing aphogee or after DCing ?

so weird :s

besides that, Aphogee 2 step does a great job on my hair, I do this treatment when I really feel my hair need it, when hair is dry even after receiving moisturizing treatment, I think it's like i need to regulate the balance !
the elasticity strand test is also great i've read.

It was like lots of medium sized curly knots. I didn't think they would ever stop falling down. I have used aphogee in the past and it was like that but not as bad. My hair does like protein though but since its doing that I guess I will try another protein treatment then. :perplexed

Fhrizzball

Do you think that maybe your dc wasn't moisturizing enough or you didn't leave it on long enough? Isn't Cholesterol a form of protein? I keep getting cold feet when trying to do the 2 step and it's stories like these that make me feel it will do more harm than good on my hair.

OsnapCnapp!

Do you think that maybe your dc wasn't moisturizing enough or you didn't leave it on long enough? Isn't Cholesterol a form of protein? I keep getting cold feet when trying to do the 2 step and it's stories like these that make me feel it will do more harm than good on my hair.

The cholesterol I have contains no proteins and I had it on for about 5 minutes like it says but prior to the dc I used the balancing moisturizer. I noticed after the cold rinse though the hair did stop falling down but for a while I thought damn will it ever stop? So no more Aphogee for me. I may try nexxus or any other protein treatment thats not 60 dollars.

faithVA

I didn't use the Aphogee 2 step just the Aphogee two minute which I thought would be safe for me. I am a heavy shedder anyway but it was even more so after the treatment where it actually scared me. It didn't just shed afterwards but it kept shedding all week long.

I haven't thrown the bottle away but reluctant to try it again. I will try it again in the fall to see if it was a fluke or too much protein for my hair.

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I didn't have that experience when I used two-step Aphrogee, however, I wasn't in love with the product either. I have moved on to other "strong" protein treatments with better results.

mEmYSELFaNDj

@mEmYSELFaNDj

Do you have any idea why your hair reacted that way to the 2-step treatment?

Could it be because you're pregnant?
I never thought about that, but I really doubt it, in March I would have been really early into my pregnancy like 1 month into it, and pregnancy doesnt usually affect my hair until im well into my pregnancy and afterwards. But for me it was more broken hairs towards my ends, pregnancy is usually related to shedding the entire hair. But nevertheless that is a possibility.

abcd09

When I misused it it made my hair knot and dred 9and thus break off), but not shed. I'm confused as to why protein would make hair shed as well. Did you put it on your scalp?

Krystle~Hime

Many people have complained about shedding caused by the Aphogee 2-step treatment?

I wonder why that's so. I know that it's a hard protein and that too much protein can cause shedding. However, I haven't heard such complaints about hard proteins, such as Emergencee or Dudley's DRC-28.

Could it also be because Aphogee dries hard?

are you sure? I've always thought that too much protein can cause hair to BREAK, but not hair loss/shedding.

OP, some products has a BIUB date, even if they are not opened, I don't know if you can check this...

also, this can be an alternative in a future use.., http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=554493

vtoodler

Sorry, that's what I meant. Too much protein can cause breakage. Thanks for catching that.

However, I wonder if it can also cause shedding.

are you sure? I've always thought that too much protein can cause hair to BREAK, but not hair loss/shedding.

OP, some products has a BIUB date, even if they are not opened, I don't know if you can check this...

also, this can be an alternative in a future use.., http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=554493

OsnapCnapp!

Thank you for that! And it's a lot less than the other thing I found. I found a conditioner by Christine Gant, I think its called Babassu Deep Conditioner and its a protein-laden deep conditioner. I thought about trying it as well and the Mill Creek looks good and will be easier for me to access as well. I feel like what was happening in the shower was breakage but it was strange because before doing the treatment my hair was only breaking in one place. After rinsing it was falling all over! So I will consider those three: Nexxus Emergencee, Mill Creek, and the Babassu DC.

abcd09

Nexxus emergencee is excellent. Although I don't think it's as strong as others, I haven't experienced anything bad. Also I don't think it stops shedding. People say tea rinses do, especially if your hair is thick stranded/ not fine.

I don't understand why anything that isnt internal can cause shedding from the root... It could definitely be hormone changes from pregnancy.

soonergirl

I love aphogee 2 step. I also love emergencee as well. Porosity levels are key to the health of your hair. Good luck in finding an alternative.