Anyone with high porosity still out there? What are you using now

Dposh167

I feel left out of the maximum hydration thread:lol:. Not saying highly porous hair can't participate..but I don't have a problem with my hair getting hydration. I just have a problem with my cuticles and hydration escaping.

When i was relaxed i was hoping my porosity issues were directly related to the relaxer. But being natural now, i noticed it's really just growing out of my scalp that way. Over the years I've used roux porosity control, which IMO is only temporary. I hate the smell of ACV, so i don't use that either.

These days I'm faithfully using:
1)French Perm Stabilizer (whch has been a godsend).

2)Hairveda Jardin Silkening Conditioner (the new one). It has ACV in it, and the first time using this, it really helped correct my porosity.

CrysMelis

HairCare Enthusiast
:raiseshand: I'm definitely high porosity. I'm also transitioning which would be an epic failure if I didn't use a smoothing treatment (Design Essentials Transitioning Mousse) every 12-16 weeks. I also use indirect heat quite frequently and that helps.

I've used French Perm and Roux and both left my hair hard and brittle. I haven't tried ACV in a while because when I used it before my hair didn't respond well to it.

AVG is actually an amazing thing for my hair. Especially on my new growth and ends.

Other than that I don't bother too much with M&S (only twice a week) because it's pointless to do it more than that. I do wet my hair twice weekly (once to wash and once to co-wash) and DC each time. After I style my hair it looks glorious, but by the time I wrap it and take it down the next day it's kinda dull.

Honey Bee

I'm transitioning and I think I'm high porosity. I'm doing the MHM, just with ACV instead of bs. My relaxed hair never responded well to it so I relied on French Perm Stabilizer back then too. But my natural hair seems to love it. You could also try either aloe vera juice or gel to bring down your ph. Ymmv. (My hair never liked that either, but that may have changed by now.)

As a side note, I'm not doing the MHM because I can't get my hair moisturized. I'm doing it because I can't get my hair to stay moisturized. My cuticles must be like a barn door. :lol: :nono:

faithVA

How often are you ladies doing protein treatments and what type of protein are you using? Have you found that it helps any?

There used to be a High Porosity support thread that may help a little. If you are interested OP I can try to find it.

cutiebe2

I was high porosity but I think things are a bit more normal now. Back when my hair felt like mush all the time, even after protein, I was using Roux and leaving it in my hair when I braided in and put on my wigs. My hair felt amazing afterwards. I left the braids in for a month at a time and after doing that about 3 times but hair felt normal and stronger.

I don't do MHM because my hair did not need all of that. I don't have a problem with my hair drying either. It takes about two hours to dry or less. I do pay close attention to pH which in another reason I left MHM. Now I use AVJ on a regular basis and I love that as well.

Honey Bee

How often are you ladies doing protein treatments and what type of protein are you using? Have you found that it helps any?
I'm still trying to use up my old stash, so I occasionally use Nexus Polymedic Recon, Paul Mitchell Awapuhi (with some special kinda protein, can't remember, read about it on 'Relaxed Hair Health' iirc), Neutral Protein Filler, Apoghee 2 step... etc. I try to use one about once a month, but that's because I'm still transitioning and I used a lot of heat in the beginning (no damage, though).

I forgot to say, last time I used French Perm Stabilizer, around a year post, it was a horror show up in that bathroom. :nono: Hair everywhere. I thought I was gonna be forced into a premature bc. MHM, not seriously, just bits and pieces here and there, really helped bring it back.

I don't do MHM because my hair did not need all of that. I don't have a problem with my hair drying either. It takes about two hours to dry or less. I do pay close attention to pH which in another reason I left MHM. Now I use AVJ on a regular basis and I love that as well.
What do you mean? A big part of the MHM is watching ph's. :confused:

faithVA

I'm still trying to use up my old stash, so I occasionally use Nexus Polymedic Recon, Paul Mitchell Awapuhi (with some special kinda protein, can't remember, read about it on 'Relaxed Hair Health' iirc), Neutral Protein Filler, Apoghee 2 step... etc. I try to use one about once a month, but that's because I'm still transitioning and I used a lot of heat in the beginning (no damage, though).

I forgot to say, last time I used French Perm Stabilizer, around a year post, it was a horror show up in that bathroom. :nono: Hair everywhere. I thought I was gonna be forced into a premature bc. MHM, not seriously, just bits and pieces here and there, really helped bring it back.

What do you mean? A big part of the MHM is watching ph's. :confused:

If you are transitioning once a month is probably good. For OP if you are relaxed you may want to increase your protein treatments at least to every other week if you aren't currently doing that.

I will be glad when MHM is no longer new. It is taking a beating :lol:

CrysMelis

HairCare Enthusiast
How often are you ladies doing protein treatments and what type of protein are you using? Have you found that it helps any? There used to be a High Porosity support thread that may help a little. If you are interested OP I can try to find it.

I do light protein once a week (Aphogee 2 Min) and hard protein treatment every 6-8 weeks. Plus the amino acid based DE Transitioning Mousse is done once every three-four months.

faithVA

Babygrowth

I'm high porosity and I do protein weekly sometimes just on my ends other times on my hair shaft. I just recently tried and love SheaMoisture JBCO leave in and masque and it left my hair so soft and smoother than it has felt in a long time. I like my Giovanni spray leave in (its in a green bottle) because it has avj in it and as long as I spray like two sprays per section it will help keep moisture in my hair. Anymore than that will give me hard hair. So I LOCO with that, an oil like sunflower or avocado oil, a buttery leave in like SD WGBC and then seal with an oil like APB ayurvedic oil. This lasts me 2-3 days. I'm texlaxed so my hair still mimics my natural hair but easier to manage with less shrinkage. I like using Millcreek Keratin and SD Mocha silk for protein. I want to try Nexxus Emergencee as a hard protein but unsure of when to fit in my regimen since my hair can get overloaded easily.

oneastrocurlie

I like to use Aphogee 2 Minute reconstructor weekly. I also moisturize 2x a day. I think being consistent with this has really helped.

almond eyes

I am high porosity. And my hair is fine and multi-textured.

What has helped me tremendously is co washing everyday with warm water. When I do my co wash I do not use the conditioner like a shampoo on my scalp, I put it on my hair and then put a plastic cap on and leave that on for about 10-15 minutes. And I detangle in the shower.

I do not use a towel and I immediately use a leave in. My leave in of choice these days is s curl and then another light leave in and I have to do a light detangle so that my hair has some uniform the plopping doesn't work for me as my hair is too fine and I do not have length I have lots of hair.

For now the heavy leave ins so nothing because again my hair is two inches and that heavy stuff works for thicker hair textures or longer hair that can be protectively styled to lock in the moisture. I like gel when I want some curl definition. I prefer eco styler but kinky curly knot today is very moisturising. I use them both. Once I have used my products I do not touch my hair or comb it until my wash day when I detangle in the shower. If I try and play with my hair once the gels have made their hold my hair begins drying out and I see one or two small stands in my hands. So I leave my hair alone.

Short high porosity hair is a challenge because you can't really protectively style and then if you have fine hair forcing your hair into protective styles to hold in that moisture can cause breakage.

When my hair gets longer, I will do bigger braids for a more defined look but for now I just do wash and gos.

What I also found is that the air from outside really shrinks and dries the hair very quickly so I have to use lots of product. If I stay in on the weekends, then I don't need to use as much leave in/gel because the air in my house is not that drying and I also use my hair scarf. If I stay in then I never use gel on my hair.

I do use shampoo occasionally just because I do not want my scalp to get breakouts or to get clogged. But I found that using shampoo once a month is good. I use a Dr. Bonner's mild unscented baby liquid soap.

I do not baggy because I think that leads to limp curls and over moisturising. I do not DC because I co wash everyday.

I find that the co wash plus the right leave ins daily have really done wonders for my hair in terms of getting in that moisture base. Whenever I deviate I can see the difference immediately. I have to get use to the fact that my hair is like a cactus or sponge and it needs daily immersion of water from the shower and not just from the spray bottle.

My hair cannot take two times a day moisturising with product. Once a day immediately after the shower and I am good.

Best,
Almond Eyes

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I was also High Porosity (Double Processed i.e. Relaxer/Color).

I was able to correct my Hi-Po hair and it returned to Normal by making sure my Products had a low/normal PH Balance. I also used ACV Rinses (Hairveda) as my Final Rinse.

I rotated Roux PC and French Stablizer Plus and other products that assist in returning hair to Normal Porosity and close/restrict/flatten the cuticle, and doing my final rinse with "Cool" Water.

I think using Products that are PH Balanced helped restore my overall porosity from High to Normal.

overtherainbow

I'm hi po! I always mention it on here so I hope everyone's not bored with my comments. I love heavy sealing, greese and Shea butter are god sends. My hair only started liking protein once I hit BSB. This was just from my hair just being "older" and from slipping on my high protein vegetarian diet. I just use any conditioner with protein and cones for slip. My hair loathes ACV and I've yet to find a sulfate free porosity control shampoo. I just rely solely on heavy sealants.

spellinto

I'm hi-po and this is what has worked for me so far
- avoiding sulfate shampoos (and some sulfate-free ones)...cleansing conditioners have worked best so far because they don't open my cuticles further. I just use sulfates to clarify 1x a month.
- using thick conditioners and a moisturizer with a milky consistency and silicones
- after washing, wait until my hair is dry to M&S...with my hi-po hair it's less effective to M&S damp hair, some of it will just evaporate
- detangling on dry hair with detangling spray (wet hi-po hair snaps!)
- cross wrapping to lie my hair flat and avoid poofiness typical of hi-po hair (I am relaxed)

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

almond eyes

I'm hi-po and this is what has worked for me so far
- avoiding sulfate shampoos (and some sulfate-free ones)...cleansing conditioners have worked best so far because they don't open my cuticles further. I just use sulfates to clarify 1x a month.
- using thick conditioners and a moisturizer with a milky consistency and silicones
- after washing, wait until my hair is dry to M&S...with my hi-po hair it's less effective to M&S damp hair, some of it will just evaporate
- detangling on dry hair with detangling spray (wet hi-po hair snaps!)
- cross wrapping to lie my hair flat and avoid poofiness typical of hi-po hair (I am relaxed)

That's all I can think of at the moment :)

Interesting. I find that natural hi po and relaxed hi po require different routines and I could see that from looking at your routine. When I was relaxed in order for my hair to be processed my hair was over processed to low porosity but my new growth would remain high porosity which was always a recipe for relaxer damage on top of having fine hair. And I could also never put product in my hair wet nor comb it wet relaxed. But now that I am natural my routine has changed. And I realise now that silicone conditioners do well by me too.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Babygrowth

I'm high porosity and I do protein weekly sometimes just on my ends other times on my hair shaft. I just recently tried and love SheaMoisture JBCO leave in and masque and it left my hair so soft and smoother than it has felt in a long time. I like my Giovanni spray leave in (its in a green bottle) because it has avj in it and as long as I spray like two sprays per section it will help keep moisture in my hair. Anymore than that will give me hard hair. So I LOCO with that, an oil like sunflower or avocado oil, a buttery leave in like SD WGBC and then seal with an oil like APB ayurvedic oil. This lasts me 2-3 days. I'm texlaxed so my hair still mimics my natural hair but easier to manage with less shrinkage. I like using Millcreek Keratin and SD Mocha silk for protein. I want to try Nexxus Emergencee as a hard protein but unsure of when to fit in my regimen since my hair can get overloaded easily.

I forgot to add that oil rinsing also helps keep moisture in. I like applying it before I DC. I want to try the way Nap85 does her hair in the shower with the avj and oil.

Dposh167

i could get away with no cones when i was relaxed. As a natural i still tried to avoid them cuz i hate the coated feeling...but they do a good job at sealing the moisture in for a few days. I'm slowly creeping silicones back in. it's not what i want..but i find it lasting longer than heavy sealing

ajargon02

I'm hi po! I always mention it on here so I hope everyone's not bored with my comments. I love heavy sealing, greese and Shea butter are god sends. My hair only started liking protein once I hit BSB. This was just from my hair just being "older" and from slipping on my high protein vegetarian diet. I just use any conditioner with protein and cones for slip. My hair loathes ACV and I've yet to find a sulfate free porosity control shampoo. I just rely solely on heavy sealants.

Any color safe shampoo has low ph. I believe loreal has a sulfate free color safe poo.

ETA: can someone link the original high porosity thread? I can't find it when I search.

Last edited:

imaginary

I'm hi-po and fine haired :spinning:. Through a lot (and I mean a lot) of trial and error I've managed figure out a routine that works. My hair is starting to behave and I don't have to remoisturize as often any more.

I try to make sure a lot of my products have some sort of protein in them.

Shea moisture jbco leave-in and the curl and shine conditioner have been great. I use the jbco after I wash and the C&S during the week to mositurize after a few days.

I also do a light to medium protein treatment everytime I wash. So either the Aphogee 2min reconstructor or a simple gelatin masque has me covered. Also I henna every few (like 4 or 5) months or so.

And then on top of that I use the aphogee green tea and keratin restructurizer lightly before m&s.

Heavy sealing is my bff. I recently realised that Serums are a big big big help. Usually my hair hates silicones, but with the serum, shea butter and castor oil my hair is a happy camper.

Oh and I'm gonna start doing more cherry lola treatments. Just tried one this weekend and my hair is feeling extra nice. :yep:

Honey Bee

I'm hi-po and fine haired :spinning:. Through a lot (and I mean a lot) of trial and error I've managed figure out a routine that works. My hair is starting to behave and I don't have to remoisturize as often any more.

I try to make sure a lot of my products have some sort of protein in them.

Shea moisture jbco leave-in and the curl and shine conditioner have been great. I use the jbco after I wash and the C&S during the week to mositurize after a few days.

I also do a light to medium protein treatment everytime I wash. So either the Aphogee 2min reconstructor or a simple gelatin masque has me covered. Also I henna every few (like 4 or 5) months or so.

And then on top of that I use the aphogee green tea and keratin restructurizer lightly before m&s.

Heavy sealing is my bff. I recently realised that Serums are a big big big help. Usually my hair hates silicones, but with the serum, shea butter and castor oil my hair is a happy camper.

Oh and I'm gonna start doing more cherry lola treatments. Just tried one this weekend and my hair is feeling extra nice. :yep:
imaginary, Hmmm, your protein reggie sound like mine when I was relaxed. I'm hi po and fine-haired too, I just hadn't considered using all that protein once I'm fully natural. Thanks for this.

So, you use regular, store-bought protein treatments AND the Cherry Lola?

My hair loves serums too. I feel bad about it, though , so I only use them when I'm using heat. :look:

imaginary

imaginary, Hmmm, your protein reggie sound like mine when I was relaxed. I'm hi po and fine-haired too, I just hadn't considered using all that protein once I'm fully natural. Thanks for this.

So, you use regular, store-bought protein treatments AND the Cherry Lola?

My hair loves serums too. I feel bad about it, though , so I only use them when I'm using heat. :look:

Well my hair gets that mushy soft feeling at the drop of a hat, and earlier this year my hair was a pain to keep moisturised. So this is all fairly recent but it's been working.

I've only just started using the cherry Lola so I'm going to wait till the next time I wash (in two weeks) to see which protein treatment I do but I've always alternated between the gelatin mask and the aphogee based on if I felt like mixing something up or not so that's probably how I'll decide.

Ha, I've given up on feeling bad about anything my hair responds well to, I clutch on to whatever makes it happy.

almond eyes

The key with high porosity is to keep the hair well hydrated and it is not product alone that can achieve this. Hi po gals need to wet their hair several times a week. The hydration is water plus product that locks the moisture in. Another way to lock the moisture is through protective styles such as big braids (no extensions) or buns if your hair is long enough which can help you not to have to do the daily wetting and get away with more spritzing. And of course one can wear braid outs or twists (though not so great for fine haired women because the curls twist on top of one another and get snagged through combing) but the point is that air is the enemy of the hi po gal. We need water, product (distributed well if you have densely packed hair) and protective style to keep the hair from drying out especially when the hair is exposed to the air.

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

According to Komazacare,

I am normal to high, which I had already figured out. I also thought I has fine strands, and as a texlaxed head i actually did. However my natural strands are actually medium, who would've knew.

As for technique, I no longer do ACV rinses. My hair stopped responding to them.

Now I do oil rinses and seal w/ cool to luke warm water. It essentially does the same thing ACV does.

I still use butters to heavy seal and use ceramide rich oils to seal.

I no longer co-cleanse/cowash. After seeing my strands coated with product in my Hair Analysis I can see that my porous strands cannot handle cowashing. I'm going to miss it, but I cannot deny that it wasn't effectively removing the product from my porous strands :(.

missyrayne19

A lot of ladies have already mentioned most things I do for my Hi Po hair but I'll list them anyway :grin:

In the beginning of my journey, I was using Roux PC every single week. Faithfully. On top of that, I was also doing ACV rinses too. M&S twice a day and using Aphogee Keratin and Green Tea Restructurizer.

Now, I rarely use Roux PC anymore because I don't really need it. I may use it on relaxer day but that's about it.

I always do cold rinses after rinsing out my DC. Always. I've noticed a big difference in my hair's moisture levels, or lack thereof, if I skip this step. This makes a huge difference in my hair.

I still use the Aphogee as one of my leave ins, regardless of what else I'm pairing with it. Very rarely will I not use it. This stuff is a staple for me and will never leave my stash (assuming they don't discontinue or change the ingredients of course).

Oh, and I use protein. A lot. Like, a lot a lot. Most of my hair products have some sort of protein in them. I've discovered my Hi Po hair LOVES protein and throws a hissy fit if I don't give it some sort of protein every wash day. Doesn't matter if it's a light or hard treatment, or if protein is very high up in the list or down toward the bottom, I just better be giving it something. I did a hard protein today on squeaky clean, clarified hair and my hair was butta after I rinsed it out. I know for some the fear of protein overload is real but, for me, it's just the opposite; I fear moisture overload. It's happened a couple times so I have to be super careful with my moisture levels because if I don't, I'll end up with mushy hair in the blink of an eye :nono: No matter how much protein I give my hair, it seems to never be enough.

And that's about it. I don't do very much but the few things I do, do have literally helped turn my hair around. HTH!

cocoagirl

Reviving this thread. Komaza analysis told me that I was normal to high porosity. They suggested protein treatments after every wash and using a leave-in that contained protein. Well I have been following that routine (I rotate Komaza's Protein Hair Strengthener, SheScentIt's Okra Reconstructor and Mill Creek's Bitotin) followed by SheScentIt Riche Moisture. Within 8-10 minutes my neck length hair is completely dry. I'm not sure what else to do/use to turn my hair around. Anyone have the same issue with hair drying so fast and if so what can I do to normalize it? My hair is just not getting/staying properly moisturized and I'm not sure what else to do at this point.

cocoagirl

cocoagirl

How long have you been doing the recs from the analysis?
What's your whole wash routine?
rileypak, I have been doing this routine since July. My whole routine is I use ACV on my scalp (Pre wash) to help with my dry scalp issues and sometimes Komaza's Pona Hair & Scalp Treatment on my hair. I then wash my hair with a medicated shampoo for SD on my scalp and TJ Nourish Spa on the length of my hair. I then condition with the condish's I mentioned in my earlier post (Proteind then moist). I then use Redken Extreme Anti Snap (protein), followed by KCKT and Darcy's Lemongrass Transitioning leave in. Lastly I rollerset with Beyond The Zone heat serum.
I am pretty sure my porosity issues are due to having a relaxer but I don't know a way around that except to not relax.....