My porosity issues has not improved!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Update: Last week I washed with the Quantum chelating shampoo, applied Roux PC cond/corrector, & deep conditioned. I applied my leave in and sealed with a butter and once again I got the same results! Hard, crunchy air dried hair :perplexed! So I've been listening to the suggestions of buying a shower filter to see if that would help. So I purchased a Sprite slim-line universal shower filter from homedepot. I did a deep condition on dry hair then rinsed it out with my new shower filter and my hair felt like butter :yay:! I then proceeded to clarify with my V05 kiwi clarifying poo then I followed it up with my Sheamoisture moisture retention poo, and then applied the Roux extreme moisture pak( Btw..I did rinse my hair each time before applying products). I applied my leave in and followed with my butter to seal and put my hair in braids. Well this morning, my hair felt so much better and my roots wasn't crunchy. So the moral of the story is I don't think it was a porosity issue! It was a hard water issue! Even though they told me we didn't have hard water, my hair still didn't like our water and that's why I haven't been able to retain moisture! Also I did the porosity test last week and my hair floated! I even left it in the cup for a whole day and it still was floating so it definitely was the water!

faithVA

Update: Last week I washed with the Quantum chelating shampoo, applied Roux PC cond/corrector, & deep conditioned. I applied my leave in and sealed with a butter and once again I got the same results! Hard, crunchy air dried hair :perplexed! So I've been listening to the suggestions of buying a shower filter to see if that would help. So I purchased a Sprite slim-line universal shower filter from homedepot. I did a deep condition on dry hair then rinsed it out with my new shower filter and my hair felt like butter :yay:! I then proceeded to clarify with my V05 kiwi clarifying poo then I followed it up with my Sheamoisture moisture retention poo, and then applied the Roux extreme moisture pak( Btw..I did rinse my hair each time before applying products). I applied my leave in and followed with my butter to seal and put my hair in braids. Well this morning, my hair felt so much better and my roots wasn't crunchy. So the moral of the story is I don't think it was a porosity issue! It was a hard water issue! Even though they told me we didn't have hard water, my hair still didn't like our water and that's why I haven't been able to retain moisture! Also I did the porosity test last week and my hair floated! I even left it in the cup for a whole day and it still was floating so it definitely was the water!

Thanks for the update. Your persistence has paid off. :yay:

It is interesting to see that it was the water but that the chelating shampoo didn't help.

Over time I would like to know how many of those steps you can drop now that you are using the filtered water.

I really need to try the shower filter but I'm too lazy to use the shower :sad:

Glad you got good results though. And you get to keep your hair :yep:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Thanks for the update. Your persistence has paid off. :yay:

It is interesting to see that it was the water but that the chelating shampoo didn't help.

Over time I would like to know how many of those steps you can drop now that you are using the filtered water.

I really need to try the shower filter but I'm too lazy to use the shower :sad:

Glad you got good results though. And you get to keep your hair :yep:
I really didn't want to wash my hair in the shower either but washing in the sink was giving me terrible results. I really need to simplify my routine now that the water issue is solved. Thanks for telling me to try the water test :grin:. My hair would feel dry even when it was wet using my faucet water :sad:. So now that I have so many products I need to start narrowing stuff down so that I can determine my staples!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL

Congrats,

I thought Roux was normailly used after DC'ing

AMAKA127

try adding two capfuls of rose water to your deep conditioner (not rose floral water) but rose water (hydrosol) the pH of rose water is similar to that of your hair. I DC my hair with giovanni's tea tree triple treat conditioner and added a lil bit of castor oil, cocoa nut oil, hemp seed oil and wheat germ oil and two capfuls of rose water and my hair felt heavenly

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Congrats,

I thought Roux was normailly used after DC'ing

There are some on the forum that does it before DC'ing because they didn't like it as a final rinse. So I tried it that way as well since it didn't work as a final rinse for me. Thx Myjourney2009 :grin:!

Last edited:

abcd09

I dealt with the exact same issue for a while. Please be careful w/acv rinses, they are very harsh, and contributed to drying my hair out further and breaking off. The oil rinses made a world of difference. Then I removed shampoos (except for dilited shampoo in an applicator bottle on my scalp only). I just responded to a thread where someone had the same issue yesterday, here it is:

I did acv rinses for about 6months and lost more hair than ever on my natural journey. I've been doing the above routine for about 4 weeks now and my hair is actually holding moisture from the wet to dry phase and getting much stronger...it improves from week to week-- and I think the more natural products are really helping (instead of watered down conditioners). I did the water test yesterday and my hair is now floating! Also, I would stay away from hardcore protein. The low to moderate reconstructors are what you need to build your hair strand back up and balance your protein & moisture. Aubrey organics GPB is the only conditioner my hair has responded to.

Here is another porisity thread where the original poster found a good solution: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=324761
Hey virture, I remember you saying you had problems with matting and SSKs. Has the moisture/protein balancing helped?