My porosity issues has not improved!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Ladies I need your help! When I first joined this forum, one of my first post was about my roots drying hard. I got some good feedback about it might be a porosity issue. Well I've performed the porosity test and sure enough my hair sunk like the titanic :sad:. So I ran and bought some Roux Porosity control and corrector formula 233. I'd used it weekly on my wash days for at least 1.5 months and it seems like my porosity is getting worse :perplexed! I can't retain moisture and no matter what I apply to my hair nothing works. My deep conditioners don't even make my hair feel soft! I've also tried ACV rinses and no change either. After my hair dries it just looks dull and dry and puffs up, and frizzes like crazy! I've been using a modified mixture of Kimmaytube leave in to close my cuticles and I also apply a water, conditioner, & aloe juice spray on my hair and seal with a shealoe mix. I can't wear out styles cause it just frizzes up and looks dry so I've been wearing my hair in protective styles. Also I'm natural and since I've been having this problem, I've notice that now my hair is tangly when dry and I'm starting to get ssk's which I didn't have that issue before. Ladies please help me cause I won't nor will I cut off my hair! Does any one have any suggestions on how to correct the hair's porosity if Roux PC or ACV rinses aren't working for me? Thx in advance :grin:

Dposh167

are u natural/ relaxed/ texlaxed?

If you've been using porosity control products for the last 1.5 months and nothing has helped...then i could say that its a protein issue. Your hair needs enough protein in it for it to hold on to moisture correctly. Protein isn't just for making your hair stronger. It plays a really big part in your moisture content. How often are u using some type of protein?

I feel your pain as a fellow frizzy. It seemed like my hair hates nearly everything. I didn't get any help from Porosity Control, it just made my hair hard. I have porous hair as well and it's a struggle with the frizz. Have you tried vinegar rinses? A tbsp of vinegar in about 10 oz of cool water as a final rinse. Also apply products when your hair is soaking wet, do not towel dry at all and pull your hair into a very tight pony or several after washing. Cover with a silk scarf for a while... These things help me with porosity and frizz. Less is more with porous hair, little product and tension/stretching the hair works for me...

Is your hair fine? What is your hair type?

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
are u natural/ relaxed/ texlaxed?

If you've been using porosity control products for the last 1.5 months and nothing has helped...then i could say that its a protein issue. Your hair needs enough protein in it for it to hold on to moisture correctly. Protein isn't just for making your hair stronger. It plays a really big part in your moisture content. How often are u using some type of protein?

I am natural. I've just did a hard protein treatment last month and I alternate between a protein conditioner and moisturizing conditioner on wash days. I also have Aphogee Reconstructor but I haven't used it in awhile. I've recently stopped shampooing weekly and now I cowash weekly with Bear Fruit Hair cleansing conditioner. I also used Organic Root Stimulator Aloe Shampoo last week because I thought maybe I had build up on my hair. My hair did feel better after using that poo but after my DC and applying my leave ins my hair went right back to a tangly mess!

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I feel your pain as a fellow frizzy. It seemed like my hair hates nearly everything. I didn't get any help from Porosity Control, it just made my hair hard. I have porous hair as well and it's a struggle with the frizz. Have you tried vinegar rinses? A tbsp of vinegar in about 10 oz of cool water as a final rinse. Also apply products when your hair is soaking wet, do not towel dry at all and pull your hair into a very tight pony or several after washing. Cover with a silk scarf for a while... These things help me with porosity and frizz. Less is more with porous hair, little product and tension/stretching the hair works for me...

Is your hair fine? What is your hair type?

My hair is fine and I'm guessing a 4a/b hair type. I've been doing ACV rinses for several weeks now but my hair just feels hard and dry after it dries. I am using 8oz of filtered water and 1/2 tsp of ACV & the ph is 4 cause I've got ph strips to test it before I apply it to my hair. Now I was using ACV as my final rinse with cold water but I was not rinsing it out of my hair. Should I be rinsing it out of my hair? I read somewhere that it should be left in to help correct porosity. I was also going to try the ACV rinse before I DC to see if that'll make a difference.

nae1114

I had a similar issue. Have you considered clarifying(shampoo) and then a deep moisturizing conditioner?

ETA I would rinse the vinegar

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
nae1114 I've used clarifying shampoos and a moisturizing DC and still no luck. Last week I used ORS Aloe Shampoo and DC'd and still no luck. I have not used heat or flat ironed my hair since October '10. I keep my hair in some type of protective style 4-5 days a week, but sometimes I like to wear my hair out on Fridays. However, it usually ends up in a puff because it frizzes out in about a hour :sad:.

Dposh167

perhaps its the products you are using. Can u list some of the conditioners / DC / and protein conditioners u use

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
perhaps its the products you are using. Can u list some of the conditioners / DC / and protein conditioners u use
I really appreciate your quick response :grin:! So my moisturizing deep conditioner is Bear Fruit Hair Avocado and Banana masque. I also add 3 tbsp of honey and 1 tbsp of castor and coconut oil. My protein conditioner is Komazacare Intense Moisture Therapy and I also had my oils and honey to that too. I've also been recently using a heat therapy wrap with my conditioners. I wasn't using heat with my DC's before. I am using a plastic cap in case anyone was wondering. I just can't figure out why my porosity isn't improving? My hair air dries in like 5 mins! I know I gotta get a handle on this because now I am having breakage as well :sad:.

nestlequik

Maybe it's the vinegar? I don't know, when I read your post the part where you said you didn't rinse it all out concerned me a little.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Maybe it's the vinegar? I don't know, when I read your post the part where you said you didn't rinse it all out concerned me a little.
I've only done the ACV rinse 3 times since trying to correct my porosity issues. I've mainly been using the Roux PC Corrector & Conditioner. I only use 1/2 tsp in my 8 oz of water so should I be rinsing out the ACV rinse? I've read some leave it in and some rinse it out so I'm not sure which way is the correct way?

faithVA

I am new to all of this. I have not gotten my porosity under control either after trying different things. One of the LHCF ladies mentioned she had a similar issue and she discovered that hard water was causing the issue. She used a chelating shampoo and has been able to retain moisture and her hair is feeling better. She said the minerals in the water was the issue.

Perhaps you can look through one of the chelating threads or perhaps someone who knows more about it will share.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
when u used porosity control, did u use the entire system.

They poo and the extreme pak?
I have not tried the entire system. I've only used the moisture extreme pak by itself and the Corrector & conditioner by itself and the fermodyl 619 by itself all at different times. Maybe I need to try the shampoo, corrector & conditioner, the extreme moisture pak, & the fermodyl 619 on the same day?

Dposh167

yea i forgot about chelating. OP, i know u use ORS creamy aloe. But i remember a discussion a long time ago where people felt like ORS aloe wasn't THAT great of a chelator. It does the job for minor deposits...but u may need something a lot stronger.

If u have sally's there's a product called QUANTUM clarifying/chelating poo. I've been using it for years. Kenra also has a chelating poo

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
faithVA: I've used ORS Aloe Shampoo which I've read on this forum that its a chelating shampoo. However, I've only washed my hair once with this shampoo. I don't have hard water and I've even check the ph of my water and its a 7.

Dposh167

I have not tried the entire system. I've only used the moisture extreme pak by itself and the Corrector & conditioner by itself and the fermodyl 619 by itself all at different times. Maybe I need to try the shampoo, corrector & conditioner, the extreme moisture pak, & the fermodyl 619 on the same day?

oh no...u wouldn't have to use all of that at the same time. But the poo, followed by the extreme pak. But since you've already done it then i guess that's that

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
yea i forgot about chelating. OP, i know u use ORS creamy aloe. But i remember a discussion a long time ago where people felt like ORS aloe wasn't THAT great of a chelator. It does the job for minor deposits...but u may need something a lot stronger.

If u have sally's there's a product called QUANTUM clarifying/chelating poo. I've been using it for years. Kenra also has a chelating poo
I will go to sallys and see if I can find the Quantum poo. How many times do I need to use it? Do I just use it once a month or until my hair starts improving?

Dposh167

I will go to sallys and see if I can find the Quantum poo. How many times do I need to use it? Do I just use it once a month or until my hair starts improving?

if i was in your spot (which i have been).
I would use Quantum.
then follow up with porosity control poo. But don't rinse out right away. Leave it in for a few to let it do its job.
then do the extreme pak with heat.

if that doesn't do it. Then your next wash do a DC with some kind of light to moderate protein. Sally's has a protein in a pak with a really low ph level that i use as well. I'll use this in place of the extreme pak. It looks like this. (they just came out with new packaging so here's the what the new one looks like)

*this just restores any protein lost...but it also helps your porosity all in the same use

faithVA

@faithVA: I've used ORS Aloe Shampoo which I've read on this forum that its a chelating shampoo. However, I've only washed my hair once with this shampoo. I don't have hard water and I've even check the ph of my water and its a 7.

Yeah, I'm just guessing :perplexed I have tried what you have tried and haven't gotten anything to work. So when she said it could be the water I thought it was worth mentioning. When I went to shampoo my hair this past weekend, I rinsed my hair for 5 minutes before putting any shampoo in it, and I could tell that the way my hair felt was because of the water and not anything else.

Since I don't have any other answers, I figured it would be worth a try. I did try that ORS Aloe Shampoo and it wasn't that great. My water is also a 7 even after it has been filtered. I don't know if I have hard water or not. I've never had it checked.

If you do try another chelating shampoo, please let me know how it works.

I haven't fixed my porosity issue but I have been able to manage my moisture a little better applying Aloe Vera gel while wet and then applying a water/glycerin mix after it dries. It's just a temporary fix but it is at least keeping it from breaking.

virtuenow

I dealt with the exact same issue for a while. Please be careful w/acv rinses, they are very harsh, and contributed to drying my hair out further and breaking off. The oil rinses made a world of difference. Then I removed shampoos (except for dilited shampoo in an applicator bottle on my scalp only). I just responded to a thread where someone had the same issue yesterday, here it is:

I have high porosity and found that balancing moisture and protein is the best way to help with porosity issues. I got that tip more recently in anther thread and put it to action. Before, I tried the quick fix of acv rinses, it felt great at first- my cuticles were tight; but it eventually dried my hair out further-- then came the breakage. I tried the roux pc, and that did nothing.

Now I do oil rinses w/ castor oil http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965 and deep condition/co-wash w/Aubrey Organics GPB Moisture Protein balancing conditioner; and removed drying products from my hair routine such as shampoo. I added aloe vera juice into my routine as a pre-poo (Chicoro's mix http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=509482 ) and the aloe vera juice in a leave in is another awesome treat (Kimmaytubes leave in )

Edited to add: I found the post on how to end porosity issues w/ moisture/protein balance: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showpost.php?p=2903635&postcount=352

Now I will try and find the sisterclick post for you!

I did acv rinses for about 6months and lost more hair than ever on my natural journey. I've been doing the above routine for about 4 weeks now and my hair is actually holding moisture from the wet to dry phase and getting much stronger...it improves from week to week-- and I think the more natural products are really helping (instead of watered down conditioners). I did the water test yesterday and my hair is now floating! Also, I would stay away from hardcore protein. The low to moderate reconstructors are what you need to build your hair strand back up and balance your protein & moisture. Aubrey organics GPB is the only conditioner my hair has responded to.

Here is another porisity thread where the original poster found a good solution: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=324761

Last edited:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Didn't read all posts but like Quantum better than ORS Creamy Aloe because Quantum doesn't contain -cones. Someone mentioned water filter, I purchased an inexpensive water filter from Lowe's (~$30). Btw -cones are known to block moisture so I try to use them infrequently. My hair hates acv rinses. I am relaxed though. Maybe its products or technique rather than porosity. Make sure you consider all factors.

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

Last edited:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
I would like to thank all of you lovely ladies who have made suggestions about my porosity issue :grin:! I have tried oil rinses before but my hair doesn't like it at all! I do believe this is one of the reasons why my porosity has gotten worse! I will try poocie167 suggestion this week using the Quantum shampoo, the PC shampoo, and the PC extreme to see if that improves the condition of my hair. I will give an update after trying these products. Thx so much :grin:

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
if i was in your spot (which i have been).
I would use Quantum.
then follow up with porosity control poo. But don't rinse out right away. Leave it in for a few to let it do its job.
then do the extreme pak with heat.

Which porosity control poo do you use? They have different formulas? I'm not sure which one I should purchase?

Evolving78

you may need to hide your hair for awhile. i recently been washing/dc once a week, i detangle my hair with conditioner, (leaving it in) applying castor oil to my hair and ends, making big twists, and leaving it alone for a week. i spray a Oyin juices and berries daily and that's it. i have been wearing hats, scarfs, head wraps, and wigs. i bought a satin spandex cap to wear under the wigs, hat,s etc..

MilkChocolateOne

Maybe porosity is not the issue and your hair is just dry from the products and techniques that you are using. I think you are doing too much. Try going back to the basics. Take the complicated steps out. Do you have any products that make your hair soft and pliable? Try washing with a shampoo that doesn't dry or strip your hair, use a moisturizing conditioner(or conditioning mixture) to soften your hair(you may want to leave it on for awhile), rinse and apply a moisturizing leave-in(could be a conditioner/butter/moisturizer).

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
you may need to hide your hair for awhile. i recently been washing/dc once a week, i detangle my hair with conditioner, (leaving it in) applying castor oil to my hair and ends, making big twists, and leaving it alone for a week. i spray a Oyin juices and berries daily and that's it. i have been wearing hats, scarfs, head wraps, and wigs. i bought a satin spandex cap to wear under the wigs, hat,s etc..

I've been protective styling 4-5 days out of the week because my hair doesn't act right if I leave it out :ohwell:. I do wash and dc weekly but I've haven't tried leaving regular conditioner in my hair. I only use a leave in conditioner and seal with a butter/oil mix. I do wear beenie hats (silk scarf under it), I do rock the head wraps (silk scarf under it), but I don't do the wigs anymore cause I've lost some of my hairline. So I've been doing french rolls, french braid, twist, or bun with banana clip as my protective styles.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
Maybe porosity is not the issue and your hair is just dry from the products and techniques that you are using. I think you are doing too much. Try going back to the basics. Take the complicated steps out. Do you have any products that make your hair soft and pliable? Try washing with a shampoo that doesn't dry or strip your hair, use a moisturizing conditioner(or conditioning mixture) to soften your hair(you may want to leave it on for awhile), rinse and apply a moisturizing leave-in(could be a conditioner/butter/moisturizer).

My routine consisted of cowashing or shampooing, followed by deep conditioner based on if I need moisture or protein, then I would do Roux PC conditioner or ACV rinse because I thought this would help with my porosity. Then I would follow with my modified kimmaytube leave in and seal with my shealoe mix. I didn't think that I was doing anything to complicated except I added the PC or the ACV rinse. The Purabody naturals products were the only products that has made my hair soft so I will go back to using them more consistently. Now that I think about it I was using Sheamoisture curl enhancing smoothie as a leave in as well. It did make my hair puff up and wasn't really that good at helping me retain moisture. I was using it faithfully until last week. I need to go back to the basics. I am still going to try the Quantum shampoo to see if that will help. I definitely need to clarify to start with a clean slate :yep:!

curlicarib

Lovin'' All of Me
Girl, put everything down and take a step back. First, aloe Vera makes some people's hair hard - me included. For the PC issues, try John Frieda Clear Glaze' pH of 3.5. It fixes your porosity just as well Roux but it's cheaper (BOGO 1/2 at Walgreens this week) and gives outstanding shine. Try one moisturizing shampoo, one cheap conditioner for cowashing and one good conditioner for leave-in. Try simplifying your regime. Seems like you too much going on.

I recommend, from Sally's, GVP Nexxus Moisturizing Shampoo and Humectress Conditioner. And any cheap conditioner like VO5.

KIS Sister. HTH