Low porosity? Rinse with Hot water.

Kinky4Agirl

Hi all... Question. I have been rinsing with hot water because I have low porosity hair. I figured once I finish rinsing, my cuticles will be open to accept the leave in and whatever else I am using. I used to use ACV without rinsing it but can't figure out what good it does if my cuticles are already closed by the time I spray my products in. Ok, here is the question: Does hot water harm my hair? if so, why. And why close my cuticle with ACV if I am going to use products on my hair afterwards?

Thanks BHF's... I made that up meaning..Best hair friends!:yep:

ms.blue

I have low porosity hair and I deep condition with heat to open up my cuticles but before I rinse, I let my hair cool down for 15 mins to close the cuticle. Rinse with warm water than apply my moisturizers and my hair seems to respond to that method well.

faithVA

Depending on how flat your cuticle lies, the hot water may not help you with product absorption. You want warm water but not necessarily hot. This will help with condition. However by the time you rinse and get ready to apply the product, the hair has already started to cool off and the cuticle is starting to close. If you want to go the warm water route, immediately after rinsing baggy your hair to keep the warmth in.

You have a few additional options. The first is to apply a warm towel around your hair before applying product. The second is to apply the product and then apply a heat cap or a warm towel to help them absorb.

I haven't found I needed to use anything to close my cuticle because they don't really open that much. The exception is if I have used a highly acidic product that has ruffled them like baking soda. But if your conditioner is ph balanced then I would skip the closing cuticle step.

Kinky4Agirl

Thanks faithVA.. Great advice. I think I will put my products in and then get under the dryer for a few mins... I never thought of that... Good to know.
Thanks to all my BHF's for all the replies forthcoming....

Kinky4Agirl

HOT water....or do you mean warm cause I cant imagine hot water doing any good

I mean hot like if I were taking a shower. Very hot but not scalding. I know a lot of people say hot is bad but they never say why or show any research that actually states it is harmful. I love to feel hot water on my hair and the whole time I am thinking about how open my cuticles are going to be when I condition. Am I doing something wrong?

Kindheart

I wouldnt use very hot water but warm instead .I find hot water makes the hair frizzy .While you re in the shower use a shower cap and pour very hot water on it while you re deep conditioning this will help the product absorb better ,before you come out ,rinse with warm water.I find with low porosity hair is pointless using tons of products as they will only cause build up .

faithVA

Thanks faithVA.. Great advice. I think I will put my products in and then get under the dryer for a few mins... I never thought of that... Good to know.
Thanks to all my BHF's for all the replies forthcoming....

Be careful with the baking soda. You can try it. Just don't over do it.

I forgot one tip. You can also warm your products up. I put my conditioners, leave-ins, oils, distilled water in hot water, so they are very warm when I use them. This helps them to absorb as well.

There are many ways to do it. Just find one that works for you.

I haven't tried this yet but plan on trying it: Baggying my hair and then using a blow dryer on medium for a short time to heat it up. It's probably faster than many of the other methods. I just never think about it.

LightEyedMami

use really warm water for my hair, i am scared to use hot, because hot water is drying!...I am doing a heat deep conditioning right now.