Anyone find that acv rinses as the final rinse isn't for them?

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
I'm one of the few that ph balance rinse before DCing. :covereyes

I was anti ph rinsing for a long while with being low porosity. I took and gamble and tried HV ph Balancing Rinse. Love it!

I rinse after a shampoo but before DCing when my hair feels tangly. It makes my hair detangle so much easier. I've never felt that my DCing efforts were impacted in any way. I don't know the ph of the balancing rinse but maybe it's closing the cuticle enough to help the strands pass across each other without snagging but not closing it so much that DCing is blocked.

Why not ph balancing rinse as a final rinse: I don't like the way the ph rinse leaves my low porosity hair feeling when used alone. It makes it feel very coarse/hard/protein like. Therefore, I take the rinse step as an opportunity to do all my rinses by layering ph rinse/tea/oil. I cowash that out before moving to my DCner. This layering effect really softens things up. There is a noticeable difference in detangling when I use the balancing rinse.

KittyMeowMeow

I tried it for a while with a highly diluted solution.

I finally realized that it didn't do anything for me and was just an unneeded extra step. It made some parts slightly dry, and other parts flat. Even though I "failed" the strand test, I don't think porosity is an issue for my hair. I do a cool final rinse and that is enough.

I think it's one of those things that is great for some, does nothing for others.

Lilmama1011

I do not use ACV as a clarifyer because I don't see the point. Why not use a shampoo that is a clarifyer? Most clarifyers are very alkaline, so the idea of using ACV as a clarifyer just does not add up for me. What's more, if you use it before a shampoo, it seems you will be going from having closed cuticles to maybe open, or at least going from more acidic to less acidic.

To me, what makes sense is using ACV at the end of a wash and after conditioner to close the cuticle and seal in the goodness of the conditioner.

As for your ratio, I can't recommend anything I don't use. I would add a little more than half a cup of water to your measurements. I would rather err on the side of caution and go too dilute than risk destroying my hair. Even a drop of ACV would make water more acidic than without it and so better for your hair.

I have used ACV at the end of every wash since I learned about it in 2004 and wash my hair twice a week. I also spritz my twists with an ACV solution between washes if I need to style. And as stated before, I mix a 1/4 cup in 2 gallons and dunk my head in it, massaging my scalp to improve circulation with my head held down while letting my hair soak up the goodness of ACV. Or I towel dry my hair and then spritz it with an ACV solution so acidity is the last thing that touches my hair.

Nonie and more importantly, you don't rinse it out

frizzy

@Lilmama1011 have you considered using DC's and LI's/moisturizers with Aloe Vera Leaf Juice in them to close and/or make your cuticles smooth?

You wouldn't have to mix anything and the products do the work.

This is exactly why I haven't done an ACV rinse in forever...I switched to AVJ for safety, but ACV in the correct amounts is great.

celiabug OMG!! How is your hair! :blush: