acv rinses before or after condtioning

godzooki

I started doing acv rinses and I love them so much! my question is when is the best time to do them? I normally do it after my shampoo then spritz my hair with acv until saturated then without rinsing add condtioner. I read that the purpose of acv is to normalize ph and close the cuticle thereby trapping moisture. now, if it closes the cuticle should I wait until after my condtioner so the condtioning agents have an open cuticle to enter then do an acv to close the cuticle after rinsing the contioner out there by trapping the condtioning agents? if I close the cuticle with an acv before a condtioning session then reopen the cuticles with heat via dryer or hot towels or whatever for the condtioner does that defeat the purpose of the acv? would it be better to do my condtioning first then rinse then acv to close the cuticle and trap some of the conditioning agents in? does this make sense?

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
It makes sense to what you've said. My suggestion is to use ACV rinse right after your shampooing and conditioning. The rinse makes your hair softer and less prone to tangles. Also, it helps to remove the buildup from the water where you live, shampoos and conditioners, and to rid of that scaly scalp. You might not need extra conditioning because the rinse itself is a natural conditioner. If you want to use it as a leave-in, the idea is a good one. Use 1/4 c ACV to 2 parts distilled water and a few drops of your EO or your favorite conditioner.

Now with the use of the heat when you do the rinse after the conditoner, you'll defeat the purpose of the vinegar rinse. Your hair will dry out some, in my opinion. But I know someone else will help you with that one, I guess.

I'm going to PM someone on the subject on vinegar rinses, if when used before heat can dry out hair. Good luck with your results.

cheveux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
BabyCurls said:
Use 1/4 c ACV to 2 parts distilled water and a few drops of your EO or your favorite conditioner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi BabyCurls,

I'm a little dense here. When you say "2 parts" do you mean 2 cups? (Does it show that I'm not a good cook?
)

Thanks,
Cheveux

daviine

Cheveux---A part is anything you want it to be. So if you put 1/4 tsp of ACV then you use 2 tsp of water. If you want to use cups (which is what most people use for this recipe)then it would 1/4 cups to 2 cups water. If you were using gallons, then it would be 1/4 gallon ACV to 2 gallons water.
Get it? Hope my explanation made sense to you. Let me know if you still have questions.

daviine

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
When you use ACV rinses, you use it right after shampooing and conditioning to remove any buildup from your hair. Plus, if your water in your area is hard, your best bet is to use distilled water in your rinses. Hope this helps you a lot. Another note: If you don't like the harshness of clarifying shampoos and conditioners, just use the ACV rinse first, then use your favorite shampoo and conditioner, and use the rinse in between cleansing and conditioning.

Allandra

I remember Jade posting about acv rinses on this web site. She mentioned some people do them after shampooing their hair, and some people do them after conditioning their hair. She also gave very good/detailed reasons as to why. Try doing a search for her post. HTH.