curious about ACV rinses...benefits and instructions??

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
Hello all. I'm interested in adding ACV rinses to my hair regimen because I read that it helps increase elasticity, and anything that can stop my hair from breaking is a-okay w/me.

What exactly does an ACV rinse do? How does it help the hair? Also, how much are you supposed to use/dilute? I always heard that TOO much acidity was bad for the hair. When do you use ACV rinses? After shampooing? After conditioning? Is it supposed to be the last step when washing? Also, do you leave the ACV in your hair or do you rinse it out??

Sorry, I know it's alot of questions, but I want to be sure I do it right when I start. TIA ladies :)

ETA: How often are you supposed to do ACV rinses?

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

I know other people will chime in too... but i really like ACV rinses. I use them almost with each wash. A couple of the benefits include: acidifying the hair/making the cuticle lay down - helps in detangling and can also help seal in moisture and make the hair shinier, clarifys the scalp and hair - can cut down on itchy scalp.

I have heard of people diluting it by putting a tablespoon or two ACV into a couple of cups of water. I know from personal experience that you can use it up to 1:1 dilution (ACV:Distilled water). i actually prefer using it highly concentrated - diluted ACV didn't work so well for me.

I use the rinse after I have done my conditioning to lock in moisture and help with detangling. I rinse it out with distilled water.

HTH

ajargon02

ThursdayGirl said:
I know other people will chime in too... but i really like ACV rinses. I use them almost with each wash. A couple of the benefits include: acidifying the hair/making the cuticle lay down - helps in detangling and can also help seal in moisture and make the hair shinier, clarifys the scalp and hair - can cut down on itchy scalp.

I have heard of people diluting it by putting a tablespoon or two ACV into a couple of cups of water. I know from personal experience that you can use it up to 1:1 dilution (ACV:Distilled water). i actually prefer using it highly concentrated - diluted ACV didn't work so well for me.

I use the rinse after I have done my conditioning to lock in moisture and help with detangling. I rinse it out with distilled water.

HTH

I am a no pooer, so it's an excellent way to clarify. I use about 1/4 cup, to 20-24oz of water. Work it in like shampoo, then use conditioner. I do this like once a month in addition to the conditioner washes. My hair is very soft, and also easy to detangle. I have "issues" w/ the odor, so I don't do it as a final rinse at all. It's great though. I am a natural btw, so I don't know if thoes w/ perms use it, but I get all those great benefits that have been mentioned.

If you are having an issue w/ shedding, have you done a protein tx, followed up w/ dc tx (using a moisturizing conditioner) then weekly dc tx for 2 weeks after that. I do aphogee(protein tx) as needed, or a few weeks before a color, or right after taking out braids. I don't normally have shedding/breakage issues, but I like to do things preventatively. As long as protein is used in moderation( including protein shampoo/conditioner) you should be just fine.

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
ajargon02 said:
I am a no pooer, so it's an excellent way to clarify. I use about 1/4 cup, to 20-24oz of water. Work it in like shampoo, then use conditioner. I do this like once a month in addition to the conditioner washes. My hair is very soft, and also easy to detangle. I have "issues" w/ the odor, so I don't do it as a final rinse at all. It's great though. I am a natural btw, so I don't know if thoes w/ perms use it, but I get all those great benefits that have been mentioned.

If you are having an issue w/ shedding, have you done a protein tx, followed up w/ dc tx (using a moisturizing conditioner) then weekly dc tx for 2 weeks after that. I do aphogee(protein tx) as needed, or a few weeks before a color, or right after taking out braids. I don't normally have shedding/breakage issues, but I like to do things preventatively. As long as protein is used in moderation( including protein shampoo/conditioner) you should be just fine.
Thanks for the advice!

lisajames96

ajargon02 said:
I am a natural btw, so I don't know if thoes w/ perms use it, but I get all those great benefits that have been mentioned.

I'm relaxed and I use it straight(undilluted) to clarify my hair and scalp every 2 weeks. My hair is soft and I don't need to add alot of slip product to detangle.
-lisa:cool:

MJ

Wow, you ladies use alot of ACV.

When I do it I usually do a (1:9) ACV to water ratio (2 oz ACV to 18 oz water). Hmm :scratchch , next week I'll try a higher ration (2:9) and see how that turns out. But if anyone has ever had any negative effects for using it too concentrated, please post.

lisajames96

mzjones said:
Wow, you ladies use alot of ACV.

When I do it I usually do a (1:9) ACV to water ratio (2 oz ACV to 18 oz water). Hmm :scratchch , next week I'll try a higher ration (2:9) and see how that turns out. But if anyone has ever had any negative effects for using it too concentrated, please post.

I definately didn't leave it on very long- 2 minutes the most. Just long enough to massage through hair and scalp and rinse. Not sure how long others did, but I didn't want to take a chance.