Am I the only one who calls them french braids?

What do you call those braids

• French Braids

Votes: 71 28.4%
  • Cornrows

Votes: 163 65.2%
  • Other

Votes: 16 6.4%

• Total voters

Carrie A

Cornrows refers to many braids because the scalp looks like a field of corn rows. It's a descriptive term not determined by underhand or overhand.

Attachments

• corn row.jpg
    corn row.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 32
  • cornrow ii.jpg
    cornrow ii.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Natural Glow

I always grew up calling braids like the OP cornrows. Like other people said, we'd call one big braid down the middle of the head a french braid. When my white babysitter was showing me how to "french braid" it was the exact same thing my mother was doing (underhand) but in a bigger braid down the middle.

We would call single braids that were not connected or box braids "plaits"

Klearli

This thread is kinda funny to me. I always called them french braids or fishbones (depending on if they were over hand or underhand). I would get offended at them being called corn rows because I had only heard white people call them that. So I automatically assumed they called them corn rows because they were trying to say it was 'plantation' hair. I even went off on a white girl in middle school after she complimented me on my 'corn rows'. ::sigh:: me and my 'magination

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using T-Mobile G2

ChristmasCarol

This thread is kinda funny to me. I always called them french braids or fishbones (depending on if they were over hand or underhand). I would get offended at them being called corn rows because I had only heard white people call them that. So I automatically assumed they called them corn rows because they were trying to say it was 'plantation' hair. I even went off on a white girl in middle school after she complimented me on my 'corn rows'. ::sigh:: me and my 'magination

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Glamourstruckk

French braid: sections go over each other

Dutch braid: sections go under each other

Corn rows are a lot of tiny dutch braids (but I guess tiny french braids can be used to, though I haven't seen many of those).

This is exactly how I see it. I often see people do 1 or 2 Dutch braids and call them French. I agree about the many dutch braids as well.

MrsSmitty77

I grew up in Saint Louis, Mo and I grew up calling them French Braids (no matter how many or the size). It was not until I moved to Georgia that I heard them called cornrows.

upscale0198

I'm from Chicago, and only used the term French braids. Arrived in Atlanta, and people here said cornrows. A lot of terms are so different. We called jolly ranchers, wine candy. I got my first whipping with a switch because my grandmother told me and my siblings to stop chunking rocks. I hadn't learned that word yet, so I had no clue that's what throwing rocks meant in the south. That was my first time leaving Chicago, and that whipping taught me I wasn't in Oz anymore.

RockRideTrue

Yep I'm from Chicago and I call them frenchbraids I've heard of both too. I just think Frenchbraids sounds better than cornrows :Blush2:

BEAUTYU2U

#TeamFrenchbraids

I didn't hear cornrows until I was older and I couldn't figure out WTH people were talking about. LOL.

Sent from my VM670 using VM670

ManeStreet

I was always told the difference between the two braiding methods was in how the actual hair was braided. In one method you do what is called overbraiding. To overbraid you draw the side hair in over the top and braid overhanded-one hand over the other-plams facing down. Underbraiding is the reverse. To underbraid you draw the side hair in underneath and braid -with your palms facing up.

This is accurate. Frenchbraids are braided under and cornrows are braided over. A frenchbraid is not just because it's one braid but because of how its braided. But different regions/areas have different terminology, this is just how I've always known it to be. When I was a kid I learned how to cornrow and how to frenchbraid. Frenchbraiding is more difficult for me and it's looser than a cornrow so it doesn't last.

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/2011/01/difference-between-french-braids-dutch.html

The image below illustrates, from left to right, the French braid, the Dutch braid (or inverted French braid), and the cornrow.

Last edited:

Chioniso

When it is up to about four thick braids FLAT on your head we call them French plaits. When it is loads of little ones on your head = cornrows. Single strand extensions = braids.

Chioniso

I'm from Chicago, and only used the term French braids. Arrived in Atlanta, and people here said cornrows. A lot of terms are so different. We called jolly ranchers, wine candy. I got my first whipping with a switch because my grandmother told me and my siblings to stop chunking rocks. I hadn't learned that word yet, so I had no clue that's what throwing rocks meant in the south. That was my first time leaving Chicago, and that whipping taught me I wasn't in Oz anymore.

upscale0198
can you explain what jolly ranchers/ wine candy is and also
chunking rocks/ throwing rocks means and why you got a whipping for it.

SelahOco

I have always called "cornrows" french braids. Actually, I never heard the term cornrows until I moved from WI. I never see anyone call them french braids either, so I'm wondering if it was just a local thing.

What do you call the braids below:

View attachment 123145

Lol....I'm from WI too and I always thought cornrows were different from French braids! I never say cornrows ....i always picture rows or corn on someones head.

discodumpling

I am West Indian and I grew up calling them "ropes" I don't remember using "cornrows" untill I was on American soil.

And french braids were called "congo" whether it was one or many...the difference was congo was braided under and ropes were over.
Sent from my SPH-D700 using SPH-D700

upscale0198

Chioniso. Jolly Ranchers is a brand name for hard candy. Well, it use to be just hard candy. Now you can get the different flavors in gummie bears and chewie candy.

Chunking rocks is throwing rocks. My siblings and I had never heard the term, and when she told us to stop, we threw some more. She thought we were being disobedient. She didn't realize we were really young, and didn't understand what she meant. At the time, we were too young to know that people said different things for different words.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I grew up calling them French braids. I am from Chicago.
Born and raised in Chicago and those are FRENCH BRAIDS.:lol:

When I say "wine candy" no one knows what I'm talking about anymore.

It's not just you. I felt/feel the same way. I grew up with the term "french braids" and then when Bo Derek wore them in "10" all of a sudden they were cornrows. I still don't really like farm/plantation references from white people.:ohwell:

Now that I've heard all of these other terms in my adulthood, I just say braids in order to not confuse other people.

sckri23

I've always called them cornrows unless they were big enough to cover the whole head with 5 or less braids.

Last edited:

allmundjoi

Interchangeable terms for me. I will say I call them frenchbraids if it is 1-2 braids and cornrows if 2+ braids. Never thought about it before.

Lylddlebit

I always called them french brads. I had never heard the term "cornrow" or "canerow" until I was an adult.

texasqt

This is how I've known the two types of braids to differ.

ManeStreet said:
This is accurate. Frenchbraids are braided under and cornrows are braided over. A frenchbraid is not just because it's one braid but because of how its braided. But different regions/areas have different terminology, this is just how I've always known it to be. When I was a kid I learned how to cornrow and how to frenchbraid. Frenchbraiding is more difficult for me and it's looser than a cornrow so it doesn't last.

http://www.chocolatehairvanillacare.com/2011/01/difference-between-french-braids-dutch.html

The image below illustrates, from left to right, the French braid, the Dutch braid (or inverted French braid), and the cornrow.
http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy306/chvc/all_three.jpg

Ogoma

I use French or Dutch braids if it is one or two. If they are many I will use weave (as in weaving a basket), cane rows or corn rows depending on my audience or what comes to mind.

Cherokee-n-Black

OK admittedly, I couldn't read all 5 pages, did anyone post this? There's no such thing as a "French Braid." The French stole it from the Africans and called it "Tresse Africaine." Americans stole it from the French, and since "Africa Braids" didn't sound as fancy to them, they called them French Braids. Here's the in-depth report of anyone's interested:
http://youtu.be/ugStnl7kmxE

reeko43

I am a Chicago native who will always call them French braids, whether the braids are over or under, correct term or not. I hate the term 'corn rolls', hate the way it sounds. At least 'French braids' sounds like a hairstyle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note 2

Smiley79

Cornrows.
Note to self: I've actually been thinking of doing a really cute protective style of two big cornrows with a vintage look to it. I need to find a pic. I can see it in my head but hope I find someone who can make it look cute.