Carpet Braids and use of cigarette lighters

ElizaBlue

Okay this is a sign I should just get to work. I just typed a whole post and somehow lost it.

Anyway, yesterday (I relaxed with Fiberguard the day before) I decicded to go to the African braiders to get cornrows. I get what in the south we call "carpet" or "hat" braids. It's when the braids are very close together and sometimes sewn together as well. After the lady finished the braids she turned me away from the mirror and begins to braid the ends of the hair. My hair is about 20" long so I wanted the braids past my hair ends.

Afterwards I keep hearing something that began to sound like a damn cigarette lighter. I looked behind me and sure enough she had a lighter going over my head. I said no, don't burn my hair. Well the English left her command at that moment and the entire shop kicked in in French. She finally says, "it won't burn your hair only the synthetic because your hair is braided in the braid". Didn't make sense then and doesn't now.

So I left and now am worrying if my hair is damaged. Also the braids take in the very smallest of hairs on your hairline. I really wasn't concerned about breakage because I held the hair as she did the rows. Now looking in the mirror again I'm wondering what the hell was I thinking. Of course it's doing to damage my edges, why else would she tell me that "when" not "if" the edges of the rows lift up, come back and for $5 she will sew them down. The only way for the edges to lift up is when the hairline is no longer there to attach to the braids. Right? Or maybe when it grows out and loosens up, that was my prayer this morning anyway.

If anyone has ever had this done, please share you story. Please God, not your how I got bald story. I need a sedative.

deedabug

ElizaBlue said:
Please God, not your how I got bald story. I need a sedative.

lol

i would think also that the lighter would be doing somehting to ur hair if she is going over ur entire head with it..the ends..why wouldnt she use one of those machines made to seal the ends of synthetic hair braids...i dont get it(her techniques) :perplexed

karezone

Did she go over the braids with a scissors, cutting off little pieces of hair that stuck out. I had one do that, and absolutely ruined my hair.

ElizaBlue

Deedabug,

Thanks for replying. Not the actual end of the braids, but the little hairs that stick out on top. I use to have an excellent braider who sealed the ends just above the curl or the last two inches of hair with nail glue. That worked and looked fantastic. Oh well.

ElizaBlue

Karezone,

Are you serious? What happened, how did it ruin it if it was just the ends. See I thought that would be like dusting. Did they cut the actual braid. I just keep wanting to take down a braid and see my hair. I feel really scared. Since the kankelon is plastic I guess at the very least I should expect my hair is molded to the burnt plastic. But really I didn't panic because it was so quick I kept thinking how much damage could have been done? "Oh Lawd, not ma hare" Gotta laugh to keep from crying.