Am I The Only One Who Feels Like...

MsSanz92

braids actually help my edges grow in? Most people say that braids do the opposite, and lead to them having traction alopecia, however for me, I find that when I get braids, it allows for edges to fill in. I think it's because when they're braided up, they're protected so they're not susceptible to manipulation.

I've been having some issues with my edges breaking off, mostly because of some color I had last year as well as heat, so I've stayed away from both to baby them. I've been using a couple of different products to help them grow back, which has helped. Now they're long enough to catch for braids (before it broke down so short it couldn't even be braided), and I'm thinking about getting braids next month. I do know that it is true, if your braids are too tight, or if the braiding hair is too heavy, it can lead to traction alopecia, however most of the damage on my edges comes from chemicals and heat styling. Is this the case for anyone else?

In case you were wondering, below are the products I've been using to help my edges grow back:

Extra Dark Jamaican Black Castor Oil
Minoval Extra Strength
Phytospecific Phytotraxil
Profectiv Growth Renew Root Recovery Temple Moisturant

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Braids gradually thinned out my edges. I did my own braids so they were never too tight. It was just the weight of added hair and the manipulation (buns, ponytail, etc).

Eventually my edges grew back, but they thinned out after each pregnancy. I'm not sure if it's possible to have my pre pregnancy thickness again. I've been using mn for about a year and sulfur oil for a few months. The existing hair is growing, but no new hairs are growing in.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
Individual braids/twists help my edges grow. I did micros back to back for 16 months and my edges flourished. The only thing that hurt them was when I got cornrows in this style

The area where they converge in the front was so tight I took them out after 2 or 3 days but the damage was already done. Because of this style I'll never get cornrows ever again

MsSanz92

Individual braids/twists help my edges grow. I did micros back to back for 16 months and my edges flourished. The only thing that hurt them was when I got cornrows in this style

The area where they converge in the front was so tight I took them out after 2 or 3 days but the damage was already done. Because of this style I'll never get cornrows ever again

I've never had micros or cornrows in this style so I'm not sure how they would work for me, but I'm glad I'm not alone. As long as the braids aren't too tight and heavy, they seem to work for me. I also noticed that people end up losing a lot of hair especially their edges from improper removal of braids. If you don't properly detangle the hair and remove the knots/buildup on each braid, it will lead to breakage. I've pretty much mastered removing braids/weaves and detangling with the least amount of damage/breakage possible because I wear them so often. I definitely think that's something that people are not doing correctly, hence thinning/breakage on the edges.

Ajna

Interesting conversation I am not sure braids break off my edges to the point of bald spots but when I remove them they are much more fragile. Like @Prettymetty said I think they thin them out.
I love braids however they cannot stay in my hair for very long and unless I am really busy I prefer to simply bun.
But you know if you edges are thriving I would say keep doing what you are doing!:)

L.Brown1114

I've gotten micros, box braids, and Ghana braids with VERY small points. I've never lost my edges. Them bad boys tougher than Nigerian hair. So weird to me to hear people lose their edges, like where do they be going? Ya know?

Kinky4Agirl

I live in Indiana... I'm from North Carolina... And every time I let Africans from both states braid my hair I had to tell them not to braid my hair tight in the front. I was so adamant that only the owner would braid my hair. If you want to hear the full story PM me and I'll tell you . It's quite funny but true. Braids will destroy your edges if you're not adamant and vocal about it inside the braid shop. Do not be loud or ghetto, but tell your stylist what you expect BEFORE she lays a hand on your head......

MsSanz92

I live in Indiana... I'm from North Carolina... And every time I let Africans from both states braid my hair I had to tell them not to braid my hair tight in the front. I was so adamant that only the owner would braid my hair. If you want to hear the full story PM me and I'll tell you . It's quite funny but true. Braids will destroy your edges if you're not adamant and vocal about it inside the braid shop. Do not be loud or ghetto, but tell your stylist what you expect BEFORE she lays a hand on your head......

I've been going to the same lady for 13 years and every single time I've lost my edges, it's because of my own wrongdoing, not braiding. She doesn't braid too tight or use too much hair on the edges, which is why I probably haven't had any issues from braids. Also, when they braid your hairline, people should make sure that they hold the base of the braid so they're not pulling your edges as they braid down.

leogirl321

I agree with Foxglove, braids really only helped thicken up my edges but leaving my edges out doesn't bother them too much either. However, when I got cornrow styles like the one mentioned I had a really thin spot in my edges. I was devastated especially since I asked my cousin not to braid tightly and I didn't really want that style either... The whole thing was just a baaaad idea. :perplexed: Micros tore up my whole head of hair, not just the edges.

But I've been doing braids a lot lately because of my transition. When I do box braids, I make sure they're not braiding it too tight or adding too little hair to each braid. My edges always flourish. Also, you have to be careful with styling the edges of your box braids too. Always be gentle!