4b getting discouraged!!

I_Dream_Hair

Hello. I am new to the board and I am so frustrAted with my hair and it retaining growth. It seems like my hair grows, but then it just breaks off again. I have tried protein treatments and other products, but I just do not know what to do. What are some products that are very effective in retaining length (moisturizers, etc.) or possibly some type of leave-in treatment or topical moisturizer?

Thanx

brazenxvirtue

I'm so sorry. :(
I don't know of any one product that'll fix things for you. I know I've had an easier job retaining moisture since I've been using Aubrey Organics conditioners (I'm gung-ho, I know).

Is it your ends that are the problem? If so, maybe try Profectiv's Healthy Ends. That did wonders on my hair. It's thick, though, so it only takes a little. But it really restores moisture and keeps them from breaking.

I_Dream_Hair

well about a week ago I started to wear my hair up in a clip, which means combing less often, but when I take my hair down and I pull my ends, hair starts to come out. I dont know whether this is shedding from not combing all day or breakage.

I_Dream_Hair

hmm. I have tried profectiv healthy ends, but it pulled out my hair also. Maybe it is because it was so thick, so I put too much on my ends. Maybe I should try it again.

Victorian

old head
I bet it's the infusium. I've never used it but apparently it is protein heavy, which can be too much for some people's hair. Maybe try more strictly moisturizing products and keep the protein to a minimum for a while. I understand that if you relax you may need to add protein to your hair, but if you overdo it, that will cause problems too.
Do you use any other kind of leave-in/moisturizer? Maybe consider a creamier leave-in like one of the Profectiv creams (root health, etc--maybe not break free since that's a little protein heavy too) or my personal fave, Giovanni Direct leave-in.

brazenxvirtue

I_Dream_Hair said:
hmm. I have tried profectiv healthy ends, but it pulled out my hair also. Maybe it is because it was so thick, so I put too much on my ends. Maybe I should try it again.

It shouldn't pull out your hair. I suspect another culprit, probably the Infusium. So is your hair coming out from the root rather than breaking off at the ends?

HoneyDew

A few years ago I had this problem so I feel you!!! My healthy shoulder length hair that I decided to wear down vs. in braids just started breaking badly. I would comb my hair and have hair on my back and on the floor. My breakage stopped after I got a good trim. It was like night and day.

Now I keep my hair extra moist (which I admit is not good for all styles). EVERYNIGHT before I go to bed I put oil on my scalp and then DRENCH my hair with yaki professional leave-in spray (http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/yaleinco8oz.html). The leave-in makes my hair so soft and I use a lot of this stuff. Then I put Motions moisturizer on my leave-in drenched hair and tie it up. I like my edges to be really flat and shiny because I have a sew in weave to blend it with. To do that I put Jam extra hold and spray a little water on it before I tie it down. On my scalp and cornrows under the sew in, I put braid spray with a dropper ( like the one from a baby's medicine bottle). I prefer better braids leave-in conditioner for this. The ingredients really make my hair grow vs.. their regular braid spray.

I know it sounds like a lot, but I just prefer that my hair stay extra moist ALL DAY while I wear protective styles. It's like a variation of the baggie method people speak of.

Anyway, you really have to find a regimen that works for the style you want to wear. I can use all those conditioners because my hair is protected most of the time. I would not be able to use them if I wanted to wear my hair down.

Now I hardly get breakage at all!! Even when I unbraid my hair, I don't even get as much shedding as they say you should have after having your hair protected for a couple of months. Such a difference.

HoneyDew

I_Dream_Hair said:

Healthy ends is not good for my hair either. It is too thick. Try Root Health or Break Free. I prefer Root Health but I cannot use it everyday. Break Free is better for daily use, in my opinion.

Naijaqueen

I'm also a 4b, I baggie at night, and somtimes during the day, when I dont baggie during the day, I keep it in protective styles, unless I just got it done in the salon. My hair has come a long way from how it looked in early July, I've pic updates. I use Giovanni direct leave in, and Silicon Mix for deep conditionin, do conditioner washes, and use shea butter/coconut oil for ends surge/scurl/water for moisture. I'm 7 weeks post relaxer , and my hair is in relatively good shape.

Chinagem

I don't know if anybody else has brought this up but what does your diet look like and also have you been in any stressful situations lately. Don't forget that these things are just as important for your hair's health. Check your diet to see if you are getting quality protein and vitamins and water. Try to keep yourself out of stressful situations and make sure you're getting plenty of sleep if you aren't already. If the topical stuff for your hair isn't working, you might want to look at other avenues.

I_Dream_Hair

BlackCardinal I have not been using anything else. Maybe I should try the root health or something that will not cause my ends to come out even more. Hmmmm

Brazenxvirute my ends are breaking, not at the root. And I am also having problems with breakage around the front (bang area). When I pull at my ends they start to come out.

Chinagem I just recently improved my diet by not drinking in soft drinks and by incorporating broccoli, spinach, carrots, and fruits into my diet. Also, lots of water!

I_Dream_Hair

Hmmm. What do you guys think about trying S-Curl ALSO? Has anyone with relatively dry ends used S-curl before? And if so then was it effective in keeping moisture into the ends?

Sosoothing

Im 4b too and I have used s-curl before. it has helped keep my hair moisturized and maintained my ends. I would certainly give it a try if I were you:) .

~*~ShopAholic~*~

When ever I see more than normal shedding I give myself a duster or trim depending what my ends look and feel like, then I follow up my shampoo w/ Elasta QP intensive serum treatment or (Aphooghee depending on my drying mood) then a good deep conditioner mix adding EVOO, and EO, then I give my hair big time moisture attention. Mango butter, and WGO for the most part applying it to my scalp and NG, and my ends 2x's daily even if my hair is braided. Since being on LHCF I've learned to continue giving my hair the attention it needs on a regular basis instead of when it's in dying need of it. You should have a regimen filled w/ the products that are good for your hair in no time, be patient and it may take some trial and error but how else would be know ;) IMHO. By the way, can anyone see my ticker:confused: TIA

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Last night I had a date w/ my hair and since I'm 10wks and 5 days post relaxer I finally had the chance to use my S-curl mix: i added EVOO, Avacodo, carrot, and tea tree oil, and some distilled water to the S-curl in a spray bottle shook it up and my hair is so moisturized, it doesn't give that gooky greasy look I received when I used the S-curl alone and my ends are so smooth no frizziness on my ends any way since I moisturize them 2x's a day, give it a try :) Forgot to say S-curl on the ends you need to try the baggie method, that's the bomb too you should see immediate improvement, go to the new comers guide and check it out...
I_Dream_Hair said:
Hmmm. What do you guys think about trying S-Curl ALSO? Has anyone with relatively dry ends used S-curl before? And if so then was it effective in keeping moisture into the ends?

SweetNic_JA

Sorry to hear about your hair troubles. When I was relaxed and wore my hair out, shea butter (100% pure but purified) worked best for me. Also, a good leave-in mixed with some grapeseed oil after a shampoo worked miracles on my relaxed 4b hair.