Shrinkage at the ends of your hair..

An_gell

Any type 4's, I need your advice as my hair grows out I notice that my roots don't shrink as much anymore, but my ends do. I know about washing in braids, and I do that, but in between washes when moisturzing with water based products what do you do to keep ya ends from tangling and shrinking so much. What are your methods or products that you use. I'm worried about not retaining my growth due to tangles and shrinkage especially when I moisturize my hair. I know the obvious answer would probably be switch to non-water based moisturizers but we need some water based moisturizers, correct? Any advise is greatly appreciated.

ceecy29

I don't spray with water to moisturize in between washes that's just calling for all kinds of trouble with tangles IMO. Infact, I don't remoisturize after wash day. It all depends on how you are wearing your hair on the regular. I wear twists and buns.

An_gell

I don't spray with water to moisturize in between washes that's just calling for all kinds of trouble with tangles IMO. Infact, I don't remoisturize after wash day. It all depends on how you are wearing your hair on the regular. I wear twists and buns.

I wear buns most of the time, so it's always in a stretched style during the day, but when I get home and it feels dry I usually re-moisturize and it starts to shrink up and I put back up. In other words I try to keep it stretched via buns for the most part.

ceecy29

virtuenow has this regimen you might want to try to prevent you from having to re-moisturize. It consists of using chicoro's moisture drenched prepoo and then oil rinsing. I have had success with oil rinsing and using shea moisture deep treatment masque as a moisturizer (basically non-water based moisturizer). I may have to top up moisture with the shea moisture in the middle of the week, say by Wednesday, but that's it. I use the moisture drenched prepoo once in a while and it helps.

Hopefully virtuenow comes in with the lanks :)

Napp

Ms. Nobody
What is "dry" to you?

I dont remoisturize after my hair is washed unless i want to remold or reset my hair. rather i make sure my hair is lubricated with oils.

Using water based moisturizers is just asking for the hair to revert.i think you might reasses what "dry" is to you.the hair may not feel wet but that doesnt mean it is so dry that it needs to be re moisturized.

An_gell

What is "dry" to you?

I dont remoisturize after my hair is washed unless i want to remold or reset my hair. rather i make sure my hair is lubricated with oils.

Using water based moisturizers is just asking for the hair to revert.i think you might reasses what "dry" is to you.the hair may not feel wet but that doesnt mean it is so dry that it needs to be re moisturized.

Good point! I don't know how to explain that one, it just looks and feels dry to me, if that makes sense.

Nonie

OP, moisturized hair is soft hair. It doesn't have to feel greasy or wet. Internal moisture IMO is more important than having product sitting on your hair, although that too is useful in coating strands to prevent elements from wrecking havoc on your cuticle.

That said, I don't know how type 4 people who wear their hair out day-in, day-out are able to retain length. IMO type 4 hair was never meant to be treated that way. Low mani is what works for it so I personally think wearing it in a bun that you undo every night to moisturize is just asking for trouble.

I never have the problem of ends curling back because I keep my hair stretched most of the time. Even if buns were my thing, I suspect I'd wear a braided bun. And at night I'd just tie my hair down and in the AM take the head tie (or Saran wrap most likely) out. My ends would stay stretched in the braid. Or I'd do that bun of Traycee's where she makes several twists and wraps them around randomly. In any case, my ends would not be curling down on themselves.

An_gell

OP, moisturized hair is soft hair. It doesn't have to feel greasy or wet. Internal moisture IMO is more important than having product sitting on your hair, although that too is useful in coating strands to prevent elements from wrecking havoc on your cuticle.

That said, I don't know how type 4 people who wear their hair out day-in, day-out are able to retain length. IMO type 4 hair was never meant to be treated that way. Low mani is what works for it so I personally think wearing it in a bun that you undo every night to moisturize is just asking for trouble.

I never have the problem of ends curling back because I keep my hair stretched most of the time. Even if buns were my thing, I suspect I'd wear a braided bun. And at night I'd just tie my hair down and in the AM take the head tie (or Saran wrap most likely) out. My ends would stay stretched in the braid. Or I'd do that bun of Traycee's where she makes several twists and wraps them around randomly. In any case, my ends would not be curling down on themselves.

Thanks Nonie! I appreciate the comments everyone, keep them coming cuz I'm takin notes and learning.

faithVA

I use Chicoro's leave in which is a combination of AVG (4 oz) + oil (1 to 2 TBSP) and option glycerin (1 TBS). I wear my hair in twists but still moisturize them daily with the leave-in. It actually gives me a better result than when I moisturized with water but it doesn't cause the tangling that I get with water.