4a/b's who relax their hair straight, what relaxer are you using?

beana

Hey Ladies,

Just wanted to get a sense of what relaxer the 4a/b ladies are using that gives straight (like relaxed 80% or better) results.

how long do you leave it in?

how often do you relax?

Please indicate whether the relaxer is lye or no lye as well.

i'm currently using phyto 1 and it straightens pretty well, but i dont have that "silky straight" look i see a lot of 4a/b's ladies with on the board.

TIA

Dee-Licious

I use Mizani relaxer for Fine/Color Treasted hair

I leave it in for as long as it takes to get bone straight :look:

my last relaxer was right at 9 weeks... it kinda depends on what's going on if i relax or not..

It is a lye relaxer

HTH

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I've been using Affirm No Lye for Dry & Sensitive Scalp for the past 10 months and works well to get it straight while still keeping it moisturized. My kitchen is 4a so I put the relaxer on there first. I finish the rest of my hair and leave it on for 15 minutes. I use mild cause my hair is fine.

I've been relaxing my hair every 6-8 weeks, but going to start stretching to every 12-14 weeks. Hope this helps

prospurr4

I'm 4b (texkaxed) and use Revlon Regular Lye and apply/process for 18 min. max. When I used to relax straight, I used the same relaxer, but processed according to the directions...about 25 min...I think.

loveable37

I always use motion but since it fail my last retouch, i am in search of another relax i luv bone straight hair.
so u are not alone.

BrownBetty

MsDee4 said:
I use Mizani relaxer for Fine/Color Treasted hair

I leave it in for as long as it takes to get bone straight :look:

my last relaxer was right at 9 weeks... it kinda depends on what's going on if i relax or not..

It is a lye relaxer

HTH

I alternate between this and the Affirm Lye mild. I relax every 11 - 13 weeks.

bablou00

I am 4b all over and a little patch in the back that might be 4A. I use Mizani for fine and color treated hair. My stylist only leaves it on for about 15mins. MY hair in the middle never really gets straight but thats because I have a lot there. But I dont mind becasue I dont want the relaxer on any longer. It gives my hair a lot of shine and bounce and it hasnt let me down. Ive only relaxed 3 times this year. Thats why Im stretchin 6mos to get on a 3x's a year schedule.

macherieamour

I use Affirm or this perm called International Textures. IT is the perm that the famous Olives salon in Boston created.

The IT perm is the bomb and gets my hair really straight, it doesnt burn at all either. I also used it to get a corrective relaxer and my hair has been so much shinier since then.

Only downside is that its not very well known and you cant order it unless you are a stylist so I use Affirm when I m not in Boston:(

HoneyDew

macherieamour said:
I use Affirm or this perm called International Textures. IT is the perm that the famous Olives salon in Boston created.

The IT perm is the bomb and gets my hair really straight, it doesnt burn at all either. I also used it to get a corrective relaxer and my hair has been so much shinier since then.

Only downside is that its not very well known and you cant order it unless you are a stylist so I use Affirm when I m not in Boston:(

I've heard of this anwould really like to try it.

kyla

macherieamour said:

Thanks for sharing the picture of you and your dad on the boat. That is sooooooooo cute!

nycutiepie

Phyo Index II for max time (~25 mins) and I get bone straight. However, I'm thinking about going back to lye to get rid of some underprocessing.

deltagyrl

When I was still going to a stylist she used Mizani and it was bone straight.

Now that I self relax I use Silk Elements and (after my first corrective) I achieved bone straight results. :D

I bought one of the big tubs from Sally's. Once that's gone I may go back to Mizani even though you need a damn gov't security clearance to purchase it in the free world. :look:

Chromia

delta_gyrl said:
When I was still going to a stylist she used Mizani and it was bone straight.

Now that I self relax I use Silk Elements and (after my first corrective) I achieved bone straight results. :D

I bought one of the big tubs from Sally's. Once that's gone I may go back to Mizani even though you need a damn gov't security clearance to purchase it in the free world. :look:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I use Mizani for fine/color treated hair. My hair is thick and not color treated, but this works well for me.

sunnieb

I use Design Essentials Sensitive Scalp relaxer.

how long do you leave it in? 18 minutes - I want my hair as straight as possible.

how often do you relax? every 14 weeks

Please indicate whether the relaxer is lye or no lye as well. no lye

AlliCat

I use Optimum Salon Collections (no-lye) relaxer:

Takes 10 mins to apply it, 5 mins to smooth...15-20 mins total.
I relax every 12-16 weeks

Toy

how long do you leave it in?: 20 mins

how often do you relax? : Right now every 8 wks going for 12 wks

Please indicate whether the relaxer is lye or no lye as well.: no lye(Dark & Lovely)

MegB29203

My hair dresser would use Mizani, but when I started self-relaxing, I used Profectiv. i don't know the specific time I use to leave it on...I could just "feel" when it was time to rinse it out.

AlliCat

@AlliCat - just curious, where do you buy this? I've never seen this version around here.

I got it at my local BSS here in toronto..it's at every bss I've been to including sally's. This is the newer version but IMO it's the same as the original version

What I really like about this relaxer is that it doesn't have that "relaxer smell"...hard to explain but kinda smells like eggs...ya the Optimum don't have that smell

Last edited:

AlliCat

how long do you leave it in?: 20 mins

how often do you relax? : Right now every 8 wks going for 12 wks

Please indicate whether the relaxer is lye or no lye as well.: no lye(Dark & Lovely)

I used this w/ good results during the beginning of my journey :yep:

Jas123

The Star of a Story
i use silk elements lye... it does not get my hair 80% or better straight... but i actually appreciate that...

morehairplease

I have plans to self-relax next month with the help of my dh and have narrowed down my choices to the Mizani lye fine/color treated hair or the lye for medium/normal hair. Lately, I have been processing shed hair with both relaxer and so far I believe our time will be between 15-20 min. with smoothing the hair once.