Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanked 2,519 Times in 797 Posts
Mentioned: 263 Post(s)
Tagged: 38 Thread(s)
Default Re: My hair has stopped growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 View Post
Wow this is embarrassing, but I feel like I need to put it out there, fir helpful advice.

The attached photo is a strand of my hair, that just naturally shedded from my head.

As you can see it is split in six places, I have not seen a strand split this bad. But clearly I have a serious problem.
Op, I suffered from this problem last year, and was cutting my hair every month ( with more dusting in between)
Now i have fine hair with high porosity and discovered (touch wood) what was causing it: baggy on wet or damp hair and overnight DC!
i stopped baggying on wet/damp hair, and up my proteins treatment (started Hardcore twice a month than reduced to once a month, with a mild one every week, I use GPb).

My hair is recovering nicely! if you want specific answers, try the Komaza analysis service.
good luck and don't give up
BlkOnyx488 (05-03-2013), Rina88 (05-05-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lana View Post
I know someone else mentioned it up top already, but I want to emphasize the need for internal body health. Are you taking a daily vitamin, are you working out (sweating is good), are you drinking plenty of water and eating protein? Have you tried Silica (Horsehtail) and a "hair, skin and nails" vitamin.

Your hair is growing and it's being trimmed and/or breaking just as fast as its growing.

Are you using quality products on your hair? Do you have hard water where you live? A shower filter changed my hair and my life.

Baggying isn't for everyone. It made my ends mushy and prone to breakage.

I do not believe in a "terminal length" for our hair. I started out with ear length hair (that stayed that way for years because of scissor happy stylists and my lack of knowledge) and now I'm at the longest length of my adult life - just about bra strap length and heading toward mid-back. You can do it too!
I basically second all of the above

Here is why I think internal nutrients will be a game changer for you:
1.) From what you've described you're doing a good job of being gentle with your hair and attentive to your ends

2.) You trim regularly yet struggle to keep those pesky splits at bay

3.) Your hair has maintained length but hasn't lost length

IMO I think your body may be struggling to pull enough nutrients from your diet to nourish your strands properly. Your hair hasn't stopped growing, it just needs a little boost.

Here's what I would do if I were in your shoes:
- Look for a WHOLE FOOD organic supplement to take daily. Avoid any artificial supplements like the plague. This should help your body maintain a certain level of vitamins/minerals.

-Vitamin C. We know this to be good for the immune system but it's also very good for allowing our body to absorb nutrients more readily.

-Silica (as mentioned above): This will make your hair soft and shiny

-B-Complex: IMO it's better to take a B-complex vitamin complete with folic acid instead of taking Biotin by itself. All the vitamins complement one another so they're best taken in groups. I got mine at trader joe's for 6 bucks.

-MSM: I've never taken MSM but I've read that it lengthens the anagen phase in the hair growth cycle to increase the potential hair length.

-And of course Gelatin, this thickens hair, there's more info in the "All about Gelatin" thread

-IF all else fails...eat some good food sounds cliche, but if you go on a fruit/veggie cleanse your hair will love you.

-Lastly...Never...ever...ever...ever Give up

Add a daily dose of inspiration to your diet
I can't tell you how many times...how many stories I've read of ladies who had the saaame hair length for years who are now laughing all the way to waist length You can do it! HHG!
For I know that plans I have for you says the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. . . Jeremiah 29:11
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to genesislocks For This Useful Post:
BlkOnyx488 (05-03-2013), bride91501 (05-01-2013), Chanteuse (05-03-2013), Fenaxa (05-03-2013), january noir (05-01-2013), Rina88 (05-05-2013), thelonghairedknight (06-24-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 05:05 PM

Thanked 24,868 Times in 4,904 Posts
Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 40 Thread(s)

If you have lots of strands that look like the one in your pic, you might need to get a good haircut and start new. The hair service that lots of members are using, might be a good idea if it's within your budget. They'd be able to give you some direction as to what to do next.

In my experience, fine strands need a lot of protein- weekly most likely. I'm not sure if you have fine strands because you answered about 'thin hair' which is different, IMO. Baggying, from my experience, leads to mushy hair that's prone to breakage. I'd also check your heat usage, like someone else mentioned. Blowdryers and flat irons can lead to split, fragile ends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to manter26 For This Useful Post:
BlkOnyx488 (05-03-2013), Honey Bee (05-03-2013), temfash (05-05-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM

Thanked 21,978 Times in 5,772 Posts
Mentioned: 1682 Post(s)
Tagged: 148 Thread(s)

Braids / cornrows are not always our friends. Does the faux puff come on a french comb? That may be causing mechanical breakage.

Along with all of the other suggestions, especially the need for protein in your regimen, I would wear another style completely.

The Following User Says Thank You to NappyNelle For This Useful Post:
temfash (05-05-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 11:56 PM
When I hit waist I stop

Thanked 15,495 Times in 2,940 Posts
Mentioned: 272 Post(s)
Tagged: 23 Thread(s)

I have fine hair and I have to chime in with the protein recommendations. I think it's an essential step for those with fine hair to see length retention. It may seem like a lot of work but I will suggest henna. My hair always feels strong when I henna regularly. (About every 2 weeks).
The Following User Says Thank You to Wildchild453 For This Useful Post:
Honey Bee (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:27 AM

Thanked 15,772 Times in 2,748 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

Thank you ladies so much.

I didn't know bagging could be a problem, especially on wet hair. A lot of times, that's how I would do my weekly dc.

I use Trader Joes Tea tree Shampoo and Conditioner, for daily cleaning. (i don't shampoo everyday) I read the labels the other day both products have Protein. So my hair has been getting some protein, not a lot.

I am a Zumba Instructor so I teach 7 - 10 classes per week. And I do HIIT workouts with my son in the evening. Because I head sweat, I am always rinsing my hair. I don't Shampoo daily, but I will use the Tea Tree Conditioner.

I have been taking a Trader Joes Supplement. I recently added, Neptune Krill oil, and Guarana pills.

I don't eat a lot of meat. but I love beans and Peanuts. I mostly eat veggie soups, and meatless meat stuff.
like chickenless Mandarin Chicken.
I am. major Juicer. And I mostly eat Organic food. No GMOs

Yesterday I did my first Egg protein treatment. I prefer to use natural products on my hair. But I think i will try the Aphogee Balance Moisturizer, to use after I do another egg treatment, because I know That doesn't have protein in it.

I really appreciate your help ladies.

Oh and to clarify I have very fine hair, but lots of it. No thinning stops, no scalp or nape breakage.

I only use heat like 5 times a year, just to trim. I use a Maxi Glide on #7 2 Passes Only. I tried #5 setting it was too low.

after my protein treatment I braided my hair in no hair added box braids.
I keep my hair in braids, because of all the Zumba classes I teach. All other styles sweat out.

I am going to continue the Egg Protein treatments this month, trim my ends in June. Hopefully my hair will be a little stronger.

Last edited by BlkOnyx488; 05-03-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

I think you may be trimming your hair way to often. After I learned about proper hair care I waited 1.5 years to trim my hair and that is when I saw the most length. I have ALWAYS trimmed my hair every 6-8 weeks .After I had my daughter my hair only grew 1 inch every three months and could not understand why i did not see any growth.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanked 15,495 Times in 2,606 Posts
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

The kind of split ends that you show in that picture, is the kind I had when I was blow drying and flat ironing twice a week, every week for about three years. My hair was BSL but about 6 inches was a frayed, split mess that I hi-lighted on top of the other problems. When I found this site, I cut off all of the severe damage and put my blow dryer and flat iron away. It made all the difference in the world. Now my hair is a healthy BSL with very little split ends remaining from the color job.

Give up the heat for a while and add protein. If you have protein issues, try Ion Vegan Protein. I'm very protein sensitive (to the animal proteins) but I can use this one once a week with no problems. It's sold at Sally's.

Good Luck
Old 05-03-2013, 11:43 AM

Thanked 1,811 Times in 445 Posts
Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

The daily washing could also be contributing...is it a must to do it daily? Could at least...every 3 days work maybe? I can definitely relate to being very active but the daily manipulation never helps.

If you prefer making your own protein treatment, try getting some hydrolyzed protein. Or gelatin, or even your protein powder that you use on the regular. I'm a personal trainer myself and have all kinds of protein powders to add to my meals. I personally can't add it to my hair products because I have coarse hair, but this you can add to your condish instead of doing egg concoctions. Eggs are unmodified proteins and have limited abilities to add protein to the hair's structure...moreover raw eggs can carry harmful bacteria. Consider adding the actual protein to your condish when doing a PT instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Amarilles For This Useful Post:
BlkOnyx488 (05-05-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM

Thanked 28,697 Times in 7,011 Posts
Mentioned: 2084 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

Cornrows can KILL fine strands as well. You said you were wearing phony puffs? They can also be a killer, especially the kinky textured ones. I was wearing marley hair as a phoney bun...would you believe that hair tangled with my own and ripped my ends? Noticed it after a week. Now I have to cover my real hair with a piece of satin to protect it.

Is your hair really soft and mushy like a cloud when wet? Is there a lot of breakage on your hands when you wash/condish? That's a sign of moisture overload and protein is key to correcting it. Think about it--not only were you baggying (moisture!) but you work out and sweat a lot (moisture!) plus you do moisture DCs (more moisture!). in fine porous hair this is disaster!

You might want to protein past eggs though (I have to when moisture overloaded and I DO use egg too)--Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor is great for fattening up fine strands and you can use it often. Some of us fine-haireds wear it overnight.

Join us in the "The Original Fine Hair" thread. Your issues are pretty common for us... we'd love to have you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkOnyx488 View Post
Thanks Ladies, I should have said something sooner.

I don't cornrow very tightly, I don't use bands on my hair. I cornrow my hair to the crown of my head, the merge all the rows together. I usually wear afro puffs, the are light weight and look like my real hair.

I could use some better quality combs.

My hair will snap off on a dime, one of the reasons I try not to do to much to it.

Thanks for helpful advice. This Hair Journey thing is a life long process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NappyNelle View Post
Braids / cornrows are not always our friends. Does the faux puff come on a french comb? That may be causing mechanical breakage.

Along with all of the other suggestions, especially the need for protein in your regimen, I would wear another style completely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarilles View Post
The daily washing could also be contributing...is it a must to do it daily? Could at least...every 3 days work maybe? I can definitely relate to being very active but the daily manipulation never helps.

If you prefer making your own protein treatment, try getting some hydrolyzed protein. Or gelatin, or even your protein powder that you use on the regular. I'm a personal trainer myself and have all kinds of protein powders to add to my meals. I personally can't add it to my hair products because I have coarse hair, but this you can add to your condish instead of doing egg concoctions. Eggs are unmodified proteins and have limited abilities to add protein to the hair's structure...moreover raw eggs can carry harmful bacteria. Consider adding the actual protein to your condish when doing a PT instead.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:46 PM

Thanked 15,772 Times in 2,748 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJoy View Post
Cornrows can KILL fine strands as well. You said you were wearing phony puffs? They can also be a killer, especially the kinky textured ones. I was wearing marley hair as a phoney bun...would you believe that hair tangled with my own and ripped my ends? Noticed it after a week. Now I have to cover my real hair with a piece of satin to protect it.

Is your hair really soft and mushy like a cloud when wet? Is there a lot of breakage on your hands when you wash/condish? That's a sign of moisture overload and protein is key to correcting it. Think about it--not only were you baggying (moisture!) but you work out and sweat a lot (moisture!) plus you do moisture DCs (more moisture!). in fine porous hair this is disaster!

You might want to protein past eggs though (I have to when moisture overloaded and I DO use egg too)-- Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor is great for fattening up fine strands and you can use it often. Some of us fine-haireds wear it overnight.

Join us in the "The Original Fine Hair" thread. Your issues are pretty common for us... we'd love to have you!
@the bolded

I over used that product back in 09, i had to cut my hair back to neck length

That product is why I am afraid of protein lol

You making me have flashbacks.

I am thinking about doing individual braids for 8 weeks and adding protein treatments and evaluating my progress after that
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Texlaxed, Fine

Thanked 5,047 Times in 1,149 Posts
Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 30 Thread(s)

((BIG HUG))

For light protein txs, I like to use Motions CPR (in the bottle), henna txs, full fat plain yogurt + egg, ORS Replenishing pak and even Megatek. I don't keep any protein tx in more than 15-20 mins. Like you, I'm terribly afraid of protein overload.

IA that maybe combs from the attachment are causing splits. Have you thought about incorporating wigs or headwraps (bun style)?

GL sis, I hope your hair recovers.
The Following User Says Thank You to MzSwift For This Useful Post:
BlkOnyx488 (05-05-2013)