Eureka!!!! BAGGIE METHOD W/O a phony-pony or headwrap!!!!

sengschick

The Bun Master
/images/graemlins/wave.gif Ladies,

Okay, I really, really wanted IN on the whole baggie method thing (moisturizing ends and protecting them w/a baggie). So w/determination I decided I was doing the daymn thing /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Okay, for us medium length girls this is so easy!!! All I did was took my regular up-do, which is a combo of a french roll/twist w/loose tendrils and slapped that baggie in there. I took my ends and moisturized them, then gathered them loosely and covered them w/the baggie. I didn't use a holder or anything I just held the bag over them, then I rolled my hair in, as I would any other time to make my little french roll thing. About 80-5% of my hair is in the twist/roll (see photo albums) and all of that hair is happily perculating inside of a baggie today /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif. I used good hair days to secure my hair as I normally would and you can't see the baggie or hear it when you touch my roll /images/graemlins/grin.gif. I then took my hair clip and arranged the other hair as usual, so it looks exactly the same. At night I usually put my hair into a very loose roll/twist as well. So this will be my new 24/7 exercise /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif.

Okay.... now what do I put on my ends inside of the baggie??? /images/graemlins/confused.gif Today I used a few squirts of Stay-Sof-Fro and my usual oil mix (avocado and castor oil) but my ends aren't heavily saturated. Do they need to be??? /images/graemlins/look.gif

TIA,
~Sengs /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Boadicea

If your hair likes oils, Meadowfoam is one of THE best oils. It's more moisturizing than jojoba and olive oil, and you don't need a lot of it to have supple, soft, moist ends for days at a time. A close second is, of course, jojoba and olive oil.

It doesn't make much of a difference what you use to moisturize your ends. As long as you find something that works (you can even use conditioner, though it may make your hair lackluster and give it a film if you use too much) and stay consistent, you'll be pleasantly surprised with the condition of your hair in a few months.

Your ends don't have to be soaking wet with moisturizer, but putting a little extra on will ensure that you don't have to redo the baggie every single day.

I usually add more moisturizer (I use Constant Care For Ends) every other day.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Girl you are da bomb!! You saved me from having to rack my brain. Thanks!

O.K. so where are the step by step instructions??? lol

I will be trying this real soon, cause I finally have enough hair to work with and I am tired of phonies!!

sengschick

The Bun Master
I'm so happy to share this!!! Right now my ends are thick when I braid my hair and before they always thinned, so I can't wait to see what my ends will look like after I do this /images/graemlins/clap.gif for awhile.

@Boadicea: Where can I purchase Meadowfoam and what are the base oils? I thought of using conditioner, but the ingredients in the StaySof weren't so bad, so I figured I'd give it a try.

@Foxy: /images/graemlins/kiss.gif /images/graemlins/Rose.gif

@DSD: I refuse to accept failure! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Okay here's what I did, step by step....

1) Moisturize hair, then focus on ends
2) Gather hair so that sides will be taunt in a loose ponytail (w/hands only). Hold secure in right hand. Leave exposed hair out and seperated (tendrils, if you'd like any).
3) Take your left hand and cover the ends w/a baggie
4) Secure the baggie by holding it in right hand (currently holding the pony)
5) Take your right hand and just scrunch the bag and begin twisting the hair in to make the roll
6) Continue tucking until the bag is concealed and your hair is rolled completely
7) Secure the roll w/good hair days pins (~3)

Optional-- I like tall and big hair, so I add a hair clip to give me more lift in the crown, then I pin more of my sides/crown as needed. To see the finished product see my 'style' hair album, it's the everyday up-do look that I've modified to incorporate the baggie. Now the roll just looks thicker. The baggie is totally undetectable!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tai

I knew if there was a way to do the baggie method w/ out a phonytail or a headwrap that you would find it, Sengs. /images/graemlins/smile.gif That is such a great idea.

sengschick

The Bun Master
@Tai: Girl, I was determined!!!! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I've heard way too many raves to keep ignoring the trend! And my ends can always use some love. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

redeemed516

Re: Eureka!!!! BAGGIE METHOD W/O a phony-pony or headwrap!!!!

Your pics look great. What I want to know is how do you do the braid bun and the other bun you did? I think they were the last 2 pics in your album. You got skill. I really need to start paying more attention to my ends or they will be leaving me soon.

dreemssold

I have been sitting here trying to figure out when I could take a few weeks out of my schedule to do my plain jane thing so I could do the baggie method...and now I don't have to /images/graemlins/clap.gif! Sengs, you are the bomb, girlie /images/graemlins/kiss.gif! Thank you SOOO much!!

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
redeemed516 said:
Your pics look great. What I want to know is how do you do the braid bun and the other bun you did? I think they were the last 2 pics in your album. You got skill. I really need to start paying more attention to my ends or they will be leaving me soon.

[/ QUOTE ] Both of those buns are the same, one is just braided really, really loosely. I didn't feel like tugging @ my hair to it make all orderly. Sometimes hair just needs to be! Anyhoo, here my best descriptions of the braid bun, no pics yet, but some visual illustrations can be found here: SENGSCHICK: Help w/the Braided Bun.

@Dreems: Honey, you and me both. I'm so excited that I gave this a try that I can't stop boppin' in my chair! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'm challenging myself to keep this method up for then next 30 days. Then on 12/31, I'm wearing my hair 'out' maybe even down for New Year's Eve to congratulate myself. Maybe I won't need the dust/trim I was planning. After that I'm going to re-dedicate myself full-time for at least another month.

Faith

Sengs do you like wearing buns? The baggie could be done on buns as well. Not just with phonies and head wraps.
Btw, I'm glad you found a way to do the baggie. It's a God send for sure. My ends are sleek, smooth with minimal split ends. Good for you /images/graemlins/clap.gif

NewlyNature12

Faith, how do you make your buns with the baggie method?

Also, this might be a dumb question, but what kind of "baggie" are you using?

SouthernGirl

Yeah! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

I've been trying to figure out how to do it myself, to no avail! I was having a hard time getting the baggie under my wig or into a phony, so this'll be great!!
Thanks Sengs. /images/graemlins/kiss.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Sengs do you like wearing buns? The baggie could be done on buns as well. Not just with phonies and head wraps.
Btw, I'm glad you found a way to do the baggie. It's a God send for sure. My ends are sleek, smooth with minimal split ends. Good for you /images/graemlins/clap.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't do the bun all the time b/c it caused breakage. But now that you mention it.... /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif /images/graemlins/think.gif I could do the braid bun w/my ends in a baggie, so I'm not rockin' one style ALL the time. Thanks Faith!! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Faith

Camille: I do it the same as Adrienne's. I make a ponytail. Braid it to the end. Slap my products on the whole length. Twist that into a bun. Wrap my sandwich bag around it and then I cover it with a stocking (2 in fact...a light sheer one and a thicker nylon sock one...you don't see that it's a sock /images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just make sure the seems aren't showing) and then I secure it. I then cover it with a bun cover or some other item like a scarf. It's in my album.

Sengs: You are welcome /images/graemlins/smile.gif What I did so I could bun all the time was to get a satin scrunchie and I don't make a tight ponytail. By the time I put the baggie on and secure that and then the nylon cover on and secure that and then I put the bun cover on it's quite secure. My ponytail is actually fairly loose.

sengschick

The Bun Master

@SouthernGirl: This would work wonderfully for you, b/c the longer your hair is the more you can slather up and hide in the baggie /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

@Faith: See I can't do this cover thing, which is why I was struggling.

Faith

Why not Sengs?/images/graemlins/confused.gif

sengschick

The Bun Master

[ QUOTE ]
Faith said:
Why not Sengs?/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I doesn't fit w/the workplace. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif If I did a black one, maybe, b/c they probably wouldn't notice. But otherwise it just doesn't fit /images/graemlins/nono.gif. It's hard living in two worlds. Even the Muslim women here don't keep their heads covered only when they leave the building. /images/graemlins/ohwell.gif And not to mention the 10 zillion inappropriate questions I'd get.

Faith

Check my album there's a pic of a beaded bun cover that looks nice IMO and could be worn in the work place. It's not a head wrap at all.

SouthernGirl

[ QUOTE ]
sengschick said:
@SouthernGirl: This would work wonderfully for you, b/c the longer your hair is the more you can slather up and hide in the baggie /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Thanks Sengschick!!! I'll give it a try /images/graemlins/smile.gif