Do you think hairstyles like these are childish?

PersuasiveBeauty

ETA: I Finally found someone wearing their hair exactly how I wear it! I wear it like this, except I don't use butterfly clips, I use black rubber bands. Childish?

Alright, so I'm 21 and I like doing different things with my hair. I can't possibly just wear it down or in a sleeked back bun. I usually venture towards a half up half down type of look.

This but without the shiny clips and with just matching black rubber bands that blend in well with the hair:

Not sure if her hair is in a high ponytail here or if it just scrunged up at the top. But I am reaaaaaaaly keen on the half up half down high pony tail look.

http://www.ubert_sd6.jpg

Half up half down again with twists:

http://img198.im

I REALLY like wearing my hair like this, but without all the extra fuzzies and stuff in it of course. Like exactly like this. Is this considered childish?

[IMG]http://11/09/nicole.jpg

I also like creating this look as well, but with TWO pony tails. So like two pigtails half up half down. The pigtails are not sitting like right on top of my head super high though.

so it's basically like this look, but with two pig tails:
http://img198.im

Sorry if my explanations are a little bit off. I tried. Lol. :drunk:

Last edited:

RocStar

I don't know if they are childish...I would say some of them (not all) may not be professional.

Nonie

@PersuasiveBeauty, the only thing that'd make them childish to me is if you wore ribbons with cartoon characters, little baby doll dress and started skipping around waving a balloon in the air singing ♪Loo Loo Skip to my Loo♪

Not only have I sported all those styles in corporate America, I've even worn pigtails that looked like Coolio was my stylist (ask @pookaloo83) and sported styles borrowed from cartoons like Lisa Simpson and Kai Lan.

One time when I had pigtails (not the Coolio one but more like Kai Lan) some lady asked me if I thought I was sixteen. First person to make some comment about my do; she was black too and didn't even work in my office but teased me at the cafeteria. I told her not only do I think I might be sixteen, I think I look it and I can rock it. She didn't say another word. And granted she had everyone looking at me crazy but I just held my head high and wore the style the rest of the week. I don't dance to the beat of anyone's drum.

Caramelangel247

I'd personally ditch the pigtails but that is because I already look younger than my 23 years so I am constantly giving people that look like C'mon now, I'm more than legal!

But I like adding feathers and flowers and big headbands. I get boring and lazy when it comes to my styles but I really like accessorizing.

PJaye

The one Gabrielle Union is wearing has been my go-to straight haired style for decades and I'm an old hag.:lol:

SmileyNY

I hope not! I have the front of my hair pinned up and the back down today! :lachen:

*** that. My do is cayute! :lol:

virtuenow

The flat twists in the front style has always looked somewhat childish to me. I would probably never wear that style, but to each his own.

pookaloo83

@PersuasiveBeauty, the only thing that'd make them childish to me is if you wore ribbons with cartoon characters, little baby doll dress and started skipping around waving a balloon in the air singing ♪Loo Loo Skip to my Loo♪

Not only have I sported all those styles in corporate America, I've even worn pigtails that looked like Coolio was my stylist (ask @pookaloo83) and sported styles borrowed from cartoons like Lisa Simpson and Kai Lan.

One time when I had pigtails (not the Coolio one but more like Kai Lan) some lady asked me if I thought I was sixteen. First person to make some comment about my do; she was black too and didn't even work in my office but teased me at the cafeteria. I told her not only do I think I might be sixteen, I think I look it and I can rock it. She didn't say another word. And granted she had everyone looking at me crazy but I just held my head high and wore the style the rest of the week. I don't dance to the beat of anyone's drum.

:lol: Yes you were looking like Coolio straight up! But you owned it!

Dposh167

some of them are just dated. i wore those flat twist styles when i was in junior high and high school in the 90s.
eta: nicole's twists on the side are more "in" than the others, IMO. i'm not saying flat twists are out...but the style of it matters

faithVA

I don't see anything wrong with any of those (without accessories), especially for someone in their 20s. And I think it would also work in a lot of work environments.

And I am over 40, but fortunately I'm beyond the age of needing agreement. So I would wear them and just let folk talk about me :lol: Can't be happy playing by others rules.

I guess I should let the 20 somethings answer this. :yep:

Come on Nonie, let's go :lol:

greenandchic

For me it depends on the context. If I just want to look "fun", I would and have gone there. It depends on what I'm wearing, makeup, etc. I have been mistaken for <18 when I wasn't careful, or a more respectable 26 when I was (I'm 33).

Lynnerie

OP you are 21. You can pull off all those styles so have fun with it.

I think what makes it look childish are certain accessories. I remember in high school I would wear my hair like the first picture with those small butterfly clips. I was 16 and I looked cute but at 30 yrs old thats not workin anymore. lol.

Nonie

I don't see anything wrong with any of those (without accessories), especially for someone in their 20s. And I think it would also work in a lot of work environments.

And I am over 40, but fortunately I'm beyond the age of needing agreement. So I would wear them and just let folk talk about me :lol: Can't be happy playing by others rules.

I guess I should let the 20 somethings answer this. :yep:

Come on @Nonie, let's go :lol:

faithVA, you and I are so >>here<<. That's why I saved you a seat on the bus. :lol:

:lol: Yes you were looking like Coolio straight up! But you owned it!

pookaloo83 you know it! :lol:

Cendra

At 21, those styles are fine, no problema.

Boy, Gabrielle Union could pass for M'onique's sister....

gabulldawg

The flat twists in the front style has always looked somewhat childish to me. I would probably never wear that style, but to each his own.

I agree. I rocked twists all through high school and maybe a little in college. :lol: I haven't worn them in years. But that's just my opinion.

I love Gabby's look. Very youthful yet not too immature.

whiteoleander91

stay at your best ♥
I loooove wearing my hair half up half down. I'm like you, just wearing it down doesn't really cut it for me lol. I think they are cute :3 Wear your hair how you like.

firecracker

Do you. If you are the self conscience type you may not like some of the attention you may or may not get. Random folks should not be worried enough to comment but if they do tell them stfu! LOL

Leeda.the.Paladin

I think as long as you like it, it's cool :)

I was once told that my box braids looked like something a little girl would wear but I couldn't round up enough emotion to care ;)

RainyDaze

I have always worn my hair like Gabby's hairstyle, especially before I BC'd. I straightened my hair this week and have actually been wearing my hair in that style for the past couple days. Doesn't look as good as Gabbys' though.lol Ananda's hair really looks childish to me.

GreenEyedJen

I'm a little late but just wanted to say I'll be 27 next month and I wear my hair in the side twists or side braids about every three months. I can't do them myself so I keep them in for about three weeks. I'm not working anymore, but when I was I wore them to my government job and I still wear them now while in law school. I think the styles are fine, for grad school or a professional job.

Stormy

I like those styles even AFTER 21. I've worn some of them. If I had to choose one though, IMO the Gabriel one is just a tad bit teeny-boppish with the pony, but I've worn my hair very similar. I used to do more of a french roll though instead of the pony.

CurlsBazillion

I think as long as you like it, it's cool :)

I was once told that my box braids looked like something a little girl would wear but I couldn't round up enough emotion to care ;)

This is a quote I need to use in my everyday life :lachen:

I agree, do you if you have the heart to. I think Ananda's style is child like
but if I saw a woman in her 20's rocking it I wouldn't think anything of it. Women over 30 or so could rock a similar style and put the loose part in a cute bun. Would I wear Ananda's style? It's just not for me but the 16 year old me would've died for it.

yorkpatties

I think 20somethings could get away with it, but 30somethings, I may not think anything of it unless specifically asked. Like someone else said earlier, they are a bit dated, reminds me of the looks popular in the hair magazines when I was in highschool. I don't read the hair magazines these days nor do I know any teens so I don't know if they still wear this look in 2012, but I know my people did back in 97.

LunaGorgeous

I definitely wouldn't say childish at all! It's alllll about you and how you feel. I wear different kinds of hair toys and accessories from day-to-day, because I love it and like the way they look on me. I can honestly say I don't pay any mind to what others think. My hair can't just lie there...I feel incomplete when it's just....there, bare with no accessories...:lol: