I''m so freaking tired of my hair!

Ediese

I don't get it. When I got all my relaxed ends cut in April, I stopped getting knots and tangling issues. I swear all of my million and one split ends were GONE. I searched and couldn't find one. It was so easy for me to detangle. My old issuw has arisen again. My ends are dreadful. I don't understand what's going on. I have a billion split ends. I don't even use heat that often. I only used it once or twice since April, and I always use A LOT of heat protectant. Where the heck is all these split ends coming from? :sad: I swear it looks like I have to cut 2". Search and destroy is definitely not for me at this point.

Anyway, last night I had to blowdry my hair to get ready for an install today. It took so long to do it, and I saw so many broken pieces falling that I got really worried. I already washed and detangled, and my hair usuallong won't shed again until I detangle days later. Even after I blowdried and combed through my hair, it was getting tangled at the ends. I saw a lot of shedded hair, and broken pieces that had splits at the ends. My hair feels extremely dry even though it's loaded with moisturizer and oil. I deep conditioned Saturday night and left it overnight, but that didn't help. The ends are popping off. If I grab the end of my ponytail and go down the length of the strands, I get a lot of hair in my fingers. I'm just so freaking tired. I think the best thing for me is just putting it away for a little while. In the state that I'm in, I might be really tempted to slap on a relaxer. I doubt I would have these issues if my hair was straight. Maybe I'll try the BKT. I don't know.

Supervixen

^^^Boy do I feel your pain. I've been finding a ton of split ends (like long splits that have split a few times...) around the halo. NO PLACE ELSE. WTH?! I guess it's from too many pony tails for me.

I too am quite tempted to slap on a relaxer/textlaxer and be done with the drama.

msa

Well the shed hair is nothing to worry about...but the broken hair and your hair feeling dry no matter what are definitely concerns.

As far as knots and splits, do you wash n go a lot when not in weaves? That's the main thing that causes knots/splits/breakage for me. Also, do you use a heat protectant when you blowdry? If not, that could be contributing to the dryness.

fyb87

Sometimes dry hair and breakage equals too much protein. You may need to up your moisturizing and lay off products with protein for a minute to see. That has happened to me before. I didn't get the breakage. But, I got the dryness (my hair is never dry). I had to do moisturizing deep conditioning treatments twice a week for almost a month (maybe 3 weeks or so) for my hair to get right again.

MummysGirl

In addition to what has been asked above, do you clarify your hair? I know you said you shampoo washed your hair but is it possible that you need to clarify your hair?

Sorry you're going through a stressful time right now, I love your hair and I'm sure you'll find a solution, especially with all the help you'll get here :)

Good luck!

dream13

I had similar issues when I wore sew-in weaves some years ago. My theory is that the needle and thread was being ripped through my braids literally cutting through my strands and causing breakage and split ends. Not to mention it was nearly impossible for me to properly moisturize my ends under that weave. And at 4-6 weeks at a time, and my ends were :nono:.

Last edited:

chavascandy

I understand you too. My hair is experiencing that too; especially, with being so diligent at Protective Styling.

Don't make any drastic moves. Just continue to conditioning your hair and see what happens then.

simone103

Do you usually leave the conditioner in your hair overnight every time you deep condition? Whenever I left the conditioner in my hair overnight my ends would snap off so I had to stop doing that. Also, what do you use to moisturize your hair with?

JustKiya

Try the salt treatment!!! My ends being ugly and hideous was what made me start using it - dry, crispy, easily bent, and a crazy number of splits. I think that my ends just had higher/different moisture requirements than the rest of my head/upper sections of strands did.

Also - what state are your scissors in? Cutting split ends off with scissors that are less than razor sharp will encourage the creation of more split ends.

What are you doing with your ends while they are under your weave?

Ediese

Well the shed hair is nothing to worry about...but the broken hair and your hair feeling dry no matter what are definitely concerns.

As far as knots and splits, do you wash n go a lot when not in weaves? That's the main thing that causes knots/splits/breakage for me. Also, do you use a heat protectant when you blowdry? If not, that could be contributing to the dryness.

Yep. The broken hairs are freaking me out. I only did one wash n go, and stopped that because the tangled mess took too long to detangle. I usually only wet bun. I used Sabino and CHI over the moisturizer th was on my hair. I think the blowdrying still made it extra dry though.

When is the last time you trimmed your ends? Are you keeping them well mosturized?

I haven't had it trimmed since I got it cut in April. I thought since I was taking care of them, and not using heat that much that I wouldn't need to trim so soon. I had a lot taken off in April. I do moisturize my hair really well, and coat my ends with castor oil or coconut oil.

Sometimes dry hair and breakage equals too much protein. You may need to up your moisturizing and lay off products with protein for a minute to see. That has happened to me before. I didn't get the breakage. But, I got the dryness (my hair is never dry). I had to do moisturizing deep conditioning treatments twice a week for almost a month (maybe 3 weeks or so) for my hair to get right again.

My hair absolutely hates protein for some reason. It needs extra moisture, so I'm constantly try to moisturize it. Uggh..I'm about to give up

In addition to what has been asked above, do you clarify your hair? I know you said you shampoo washed your hair but is it possible that you need to clarify your hair?

Sorry you're going through a stressful time right now, I love your hair and I'm sure you'll find a solution, especially with all the help you'll get here :)

Good luck!

Yes. I clarify with baking soda, and my hair is clean so I don't think it needs to be clarified.

Do you usually leave the conditioner in your hair overnight every time you deep condition? Whenever I left the conditioner in my hair overnight my ends would snap off so I had to stop doing that. Also, what do you use to moisturize your hair with?

I usually cowash every other day to help with moisture levels, and I leave some conditioner in my hair. I use Scurl to moisturize my hair. I 'grease' my scalp with Almond Glaze, and I seal the ends with castor/coconut oil.

Try the salt treatment!!! My ends being ugly and hideous was what made me start using it - dry, crispy, easily bent, and a crazy number of splits. I think that my ends just had higher/different moisture requirements than the rest of my head/upper sections of strands did.

Salt treatment? Is that when you put salt in your conditioner? I did that once, and it left my hair really soft. I'll have to try that again. My hair definitely has higher moisture requirements.

Also - what state are your scissors in? Cutting split ends off with scissors that are less than razor sharp will encourage the creation of more split ends.

Hmm..this probably has something to do with it. I bought my shears specifically for my hair, but I've been using it on everything else.

What are you doing with your ends while they are under your weave?

I usually don't do anything with my ends. I moisturize my hair under my weave, and the ends are usually sewn up, and tucked away.

JustKiya

Salt treatment? Is that when you put salt in your conditioner? I did that once, and it left my hair really soft. I'll have to try that again. My hair definitely has higher moisture requirements.

Hmm..this probably has something to do with it. I bought my shears specifically for my hair, but I've been using it on everything else.

I usually don't do anything with my ends. I moisturize my hair under my weave, and the ends are usually sewn up, and tucked away.

:nono: at the bolded!! Nooooooooooooo!!! :lachen: Seriously, either toss them and get a new pair that is solely reserved for your hair, or see if you can get the ones you have resharpened.

And yah, that's the salt treatment - I'd definitely try that. Since you say your hair is super dry - have you tried any steam treatments?

How tucked are your ends? Is it possible they are tucked well enough that they aren't getting a fair share of the moisturizing you do while it's up in the weave?

jetbeauty09

I don't wear sew ins right now but I do wear alot of wigs. My hair is doing the SAME thing. Ends just pop off, covering my shoulders and sink. Its about 65%-75% shedded hair and everything else is breakage. I hate it and don't know what to do. I DC twice a week, once w/moisturizer & once w/protein. Moisturize daily and seal with oil...wash w/baking soda once or twice a month. Its been like this after I tried to texturized and then 2-3 months later. Goodness, its depressing and I'm thinking of braiding it up....{HUGS}

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Hey Ediese :wave: I had that issue for a long time...i mean a few years. Since it seems like we are maybe hair cousins I'll tell you that what worked for me was a couple of things. The first was to stop leaving conditioner in my hair and stop co-washing every day. I know it works for a lot of ppl and I really did try to do the cg method but it doesn't work. It seems like even though the co washing was supposed to keep everything moisturized it contributed to my tangles & split ends. I know this because as soon as I stopped doing it so often and leaving con. in they decreased. I still co wash but only every few days when I need to detangle. What I do instead is to just wet my hair, i mean just saturate it for a couple minutes with warm water then rinse with cooler water. For me it doesn't even matter if the conditioner is cone-filled, cone-free, natural, homemade (i'm a bit of a pj so i've tried many)....it just cannot stay on my hair, it needs to be rinsed.

Now it took me a looooong time to find the right leave in but for me the best leave-ins are a bit heavier on the butters....something like carol's daughter healthy hair butter or jane carter nourish & shine. Using something like this helps keep my hair from tangling plus it keeps my split ends in check. Putting this heavy stuff on sopping wet hair helps me to keep coil definition and frizziness down.

So those are my suggestions. I've bc'd in march 05 and I discovered all this around april or may 09 so don't feel bad. Sometimes it takes a while to find the routine that works the best for you.:yep:

ETA: as far as moisturizing, for me using just a water or water/sml amt of oil mix works the best for me.

Last edited:

SEMO

Me too. I was doing a lot of wash n' go's for awhile until I noticed that my ends were suffering. Now it's back to buns for me.

msa

Ediese, wet bunning cAn be just as detrimental as a wash and go because the hair is still shrinking up. At least that's what I've found to be the case for my hair.

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
Have you checked your porosity lately? I use Porosity control when my hair is feeling extra dry. It works wonders! It turned my always dry frizzy ends to soft goodness! :yep

ebaby

I have a weave at the present moment but I love taliah waajid protective mist bodifier and the oil to seal. My hair was super dry but I found it about a week before my weave and it almost made me continue to wear my natural. It mafe my hair soft and easy to manage.

kriolagirl

hey there op...sorry to hear of your plight :( i'm also a weave wearer (have been doing more wigs/falls lately) and our hair is very similar...i notice that i start to get splits/tangling when it's time for a trim. this year i've done, january, july, and will get my next trim dec/jan. i've only had to get about a 1/2 inch trimmed each time and was told by my stylist that my ends were in great shape. also steam treatments have made all the difference for me too. and as another poster said...heavier leave-ins (i need to buy stock in cantu shea butter leave-in lol) your hair is absolutely gorg and i'm sure it will bounce back in no time.

Nonie

My theory isn't popular but I'm gonna tell you my take on this.

All things wears down with time whether you like it or not. The more you wear your hair out, the sooner the wear and tear will happen. In other words, split ends are inevitable because the oldest part of your hair, ie the ends, will experience wear and tear first.

If you dust frequently, you prevent them from ever occurring and you get to enjoy hair that never seems to tangle much. You wait too long and not only does the hair split but the splits may also tear away so that you could swear you don't see splits yet can't understand why your hair is thin, or you just find it tangling more. The broken pieces you were seeing were either split ends tearing away or the skinny weak ends left behind by split ends.

This is why I'm all for trimming this much __ every two months on all your strands. That's how much 1/4 inch is. No need to waste time doing search and destroy. There's no way you can examine every last strand on your head, and you won't be able to tell when the split has ripped off to leave one thin strand that is unsplit, so why even bother? Better to be proactive about preventing the problem and in addition to protective styling, nip the problem in the bud. In other words, don't wait for the problem to arise; deal with it before it ever comes to be by making routine dusting part of your regimen.

longhairlover

Have you checked your porosity lately? I use Porosity control when my hair is feeling extra dry. It works wonders! It turned my always dry frizzy ends to soft goodness! :yep

I think this may be your issue since you've tried moisture and stuff but your hairs still brittle. Kuz also has a good leave in spray I use it and love it and it's for porous hair.

http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/V2JN201208KU0210.htm

this stuff even helps my hubby who has dry scalp and dandruff now since he's moved with me to jersey and the water here is horrid and causing him to have scalp issues he didn't have b4.

apple cider rinses pre poo is supposed to help as well along with roux others on here give roux a thumbs up.

hope things work out......wait they will work out just have to figure out what the issue is.

sass*&*silk

Don't wait girl, cut those bad ends off now. The few inches that you loose now will insure more growth in the future. But if you do nothing or make a hasty move you might regret it. Remember why you went natural in the first place. Fall in love with your natural hair again and get a fresh look as well as a fresh start. I'm in your corner.

Liege4421

just to keep you encouraged, my hair has the same issue, and I am relaxed. :) Have you checked your porosity? Using an ACV rinse has helped me with my crazy ends.

guyanesesista

I had the same problem with my ends too. They always felt dry and broken not matter what I did. I then went to the beach, got in the water and realised that my ends were soft and felt like the rest of my hair. I then remembered the salt treatment. I was so happy!!! So maybe you should try it. I'll try to use it if I run into the same problem again. I did end up doing a one inch trim last week but my ends feel great still.

dynamic1

Do you henna?
Do you deep condition with heat?

I don't know what the guilty ingredient is in Miss Jessie's products but i have trouble with my ends whenever I use them. I also noticed a problem with my ends when I lazily rinse my shrunken hair. I have to butter it up and stretch it out before rinsing/washing. I also determined that I have to wear stretched styles and detangle more frequently.

Hope you work it out soon.