Do you put castor oil on your scalp?

aa9746

When I was using castor oil, it was within my Suave conditioner to con-wash. I didn't use castor oil plain because it was way too thick/sticky, and wasnt good for my thin/fine strands.

So I guess to answer your question, it technically did go on my scalp, since i con-washed my entire head. BUT just not straight-up/undiluted.

I add it to my conditioners too.:yep:

Stiletto_Diva

I know Sunshyne (She has her own hair blog and YT Channel) has a Castor Oil for Growth Challenge and her results were fantastic. She applied Jamaican Black Castor Oil to her scalp. Now you're making me want to try this!:grin:

How She Applies the Oil:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0_93jySKiM

Results of Challenge (from 02/07/09 - 03/31/09)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMZJfJd2WEI

I saw this and started applying JBCO to my scalp last night. I'm hoping to get great growth results.

complexsimplicity

^^^I just started too. I wonder if the ladies here would be interested in a castor oil challenge. Sunshyne got amazing growth by only applying it to her scalp twice a week. Even if I don't experience growth, I'm sure the castor oil will make my new growth easier to manage, making my stretches a breeze.

yodie

This has inspired me. I've been trying too many products/methods that just haven't worked. As a result, my hair is brittle, dry and breaking. I used castor oil before and it was a great moisturizer for my hair.

I'm ditching this hair dye, letting my hair go brown again (yuck) and I'm nurturing my hair back to health.

On my way to get some castor oil. I need it desperately.

mstar

Luxury bacon
I love using JBCO on my scalp when I'm wearing braids. It makes my hair very, very soft.

yodie

Can you deep condition or steam with castor oil?

Ran to Whole Foods tonight. The doors were closed, but they let me in to purchase. That's Favor!!

My hair thrived when I used castor oil. I strayed and have been trying so many different things. Back To Basics it is!!

Platinum

I have both regular and Haitian Black castor oil. I'm going to start using this on my scalp again. My family used to apply regular Castor oil to all of the babies and little girls' scalps and all of our hair grew like crazy. I'm not even sure why we stopped when we got older.:ohwell: I'm transitioning back to naturally and I need this for growth and to keep my NG in check.:yep:

skipper

last time i relaxed i put a mixture of castor oil and evoo on my scalp the night before and omg did i ever get the creepy crawlies. i was try so hard not to scratch because i knew i was going to relax, it was torture. it was a great base though im not going to lie i scratched the hell out of my scalp when i got home from work that day, re oiled and self relaxed and didn't burn at all.

Nice Lady

I am a castor oil Lover to the end. I use castor oil on my scalp two times a week or more. The thing that I do with castor oil especially the regular one is mix it with grapeseed oil(70-30% or 50-50%) and apply it to my scalp and within 3 weeks of regular application, my hair begins to grow.

Also, I use it to seal and moisturize my ends and in my deep conditioners and I have noticed a tremendous amount of progress.

LaBelleLL

I apply the haitian version of "castor oil" (although haitians say it isn't castor oil) on my scalp every night or every other night. This was part of my hair regimen as a child and I had long, full and thick hair. I can only go back to my roots. While it may not be proven to have any benefits or nutrition doesn't mean that it doesn't. Haitians have used it for years for EVERYTHING and it really works wonders!

Last edited:

kooskoos

YUP! :grin: I put JBCO on my scalp, edges and nape as a prepoo with heat for 15 minutes before every wash/cowash (it kinda smells like nutty smoke, so I like washing it out). It has really thickened up my edges. My baby hairs don't lay down flat anymore--they're curling up!

ETA:

Oh and I never put it on the actual length of my strands, because JBCO is super thick and my hair is WAY TO FINE for that.

tbaby_8

YUP! :grin: I put JBCO on my scalp, edges and nape as a prepoo with heat for 15 minutes before every wash/cowash (it kinda smells like nutty smoke, so I like washing it out). It has really thickened up my edges. My baby hairs don't lay down flat anymore--they're curling up!

ETA:

Oh and I never put it on the actual length of my strands, because JBCO is super thick and my hair is WAY TO FINE for that.

Thank you for the idea. I have some regular castor oil and I already use it in my conditioners and my lotions. I have fine hair. I think I will use it to oil my scalp lightly.

complexsimplicity

I think we should start a challenge here on LHCF. I can't remember all the rules but I'm sure it was to apply castor oil at least twice a week. Some women do three times a week. And also do not use any other growth aid, just the castor oil. And we can do it for at least 3 months to see the effects. Post a starting pic and then a pic at the end of the challenge.

sunshinelady

Why don't you start a challenge CS? I am not sure whether I should since I have braids. I would love to see others' results.

Honeytips

I use this on my scalp every other night for the past couple of months. So far absolutely no problems

yodie

I must remember to use this forever!! I applied c.o. to my edges and nape last night, in addition to my scalp. My edges and nape feel GREAT. My nape usually feels crazy dry! I'm going to start deep conditioning with castor oil. This is great!!

yodie

I've been putting castor oil on my edges and nape every night. My nape is lovin' me for this. It's no longer dry and crispy. I alsp put a reminder on my phone to oil my scalp twice a week. I wanna see how my hair progresses by the end of Sept.

exubah

JBCO causes my scalp to itch like mad!!! I need to start using it sparingly on my scalp because I am not going to quit darnit!

complexsimplicity

I think the itching maybe two things. You may be allergic or it's a sign that your hair is growing. But for some women whose scalp itches, they say that the castor oil soothes it. I'm not an expert. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Nice Lady

Itching scalp means that you are allergic. Over at KISS, we encourage that you mix the castor oil with one other oil especially if you are itching, it tends to alleviate it and the person still reaps the benefits of castor oil.

exubah

I think you both may be right about the allergic reaction..........I am allergic to almost everything that is topical....my skin is hypersensitive and if even the chlorine content changes in the city water I shower with it's like God "hep ma" cause I would have nasty red welts from all of the itching!!! :nono:..................oh well...............I think I have to try and get the JBCO on just my new growth and my ends..

Neith

I have extremely sensitive skin and pretty bad eczema. I'm allergic to many things. My skin literally welts up when you expose it to something that it doesn't like.

No beaches and pools for me. At all. :nono:

but Castor oil soothes my skin :yep:

I wouldn't recommend using anything that you're allergic to even if you mix it though.

I never have seen the benefit to oiling the scalp before, but the info I found out about castor oil and a visit to an indian hair board made me think twice. :)

SweetSpirit86

Anyone ever used the Isoplus Castor Oil? After reading this topic I remembered I had some under the sink lol..and I do recall it softening my new growth while I was relaxed. Says it has Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, and Essence Oil...no clue what that last one is...but that's off the Sally Website and a different Jar. Mine is older and the ingredients are worn but from what I can see....
Mineral Jelly, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Isopropyl Myristate, and Propyl Paraben....

...I think I want to find the one with the lesser amount of ingredients now >_> Unless someone can tell me these ingredients aren't bad. I'm not sure myself.