Do you put castor oil on your scalp?

JinaRicci

I apply the haitian version of "castor oil" (although haitians say it isn't castor oil) on my scalp every night or every other night. This was part of my hair regimen as a child and I had long, full and thick hair. I can only go back to my roots. While it may not be proven to have any benefits or nutrition doesn't mean that it doesn't. Haitians have used it for ears for EVERYTHING and it really works wonders!

What is the Haitian version then please?

Why don't you start a challenge CS? I am not sure whether I should since I have braids. I would love to see others' results.

Co-signing. Let's do this.

SelfStyled

I have extremely sensitive skin and pretty bad eczema. I'm allergic to many things. My skin literally welts up when you expose it to something that it doesn't like.

No beaches and pools for me. At all. :nono:

but Castor oil soothes my skin :yep:

I wouldn't recommend using anything that you're allergic to even if you mix it though.

I never have seen the benefit to oiling the scalp before, but the info I found out about castor oil and a visit to an indian hair board made me think twice. :)

Please share what you have found on the Indian Hair board about CO:grin:.

Also I have been consistently using CO and my hair has gotten a lot thicker. I would definitely be up to a CO challenge. I do mix it with another oil b/c I find it to be so thick, the mixing it helps it to spread easier.

LaBelleLL

What is the Haitian version then please?

Co-signing. Let's do this.

It's called "L'huile maskreti".....I don't know of it in English except for the "l'huile" is french for oil and "maskreti" is a creole word. I do suspect is a variation of "Palma Christi". HTH!

Neith

Please share what you have found on the Indian Hair board about CO:grin:.

I learned that most of them love oils and they oil their hair and scalps heavily. It seems to be traditional. They baby their hair AND scalps :yep:

Just like we may put oil or lotion onto our skin to keep the skin moist and supple, the scalp would benefit from extra conditioning and nourishment.

They also hands down recommend coconut oil the most... but castor oil is popular too.

I didn't post on there, but I was lurking :sekret:

I learned on my own that castor oil is antifungal... and lots of people use antifungals (MN,MTG,BT...) for growth.

So I mixed up come coconut oil and castor oil and I oil my scalp with that 3 or 4 times a week. Seems like my hair is coming along nicely too. I BC'd like 12 days ago and I already see a little hint of growth :yep:

Chameleonchick

I put the castor on my scalp probably about 3 times a week and on my ends just about every day. I love how the jbco smells if anyone knows where I can buy the haitian castor oil send me a pm.

I've been using castor oil on my scalp & hair for the past 2 years. I didn't realize it was called castor oil until recently. I'm originally from Haiti, but came to the U.S. very very young, growing up my mother would often massage us with what I came to know as "Palma Christi". It wasn't purchased in a store though and it seemed to be an endless supply (a little went a long way). She would heat up a bit of the palma christi (and a pinch of salt) in her palm by rubbing them together and massage deeply into what ever area was hurt or sprained and sure enough by the next day it didn't hurt. Note: This is in no way intended as medical advice. Research has found traces of toxins so please decide for yourself. Two years ago while doing research re fibroids I kept seeing something called "Palm of Christ" and I realized that was what my mom used (and continues to use). It was used as a heated oil treatment on the abdomen. After I got it I also started using it on my feet after I came out of the shower (it's kind of tricky) about a month in my feet were soooooooo soft.....I thought to myself hmmmmmm? So on my head it went. Whenever I air dry which up until 2 months ago was always, I would put a thin (and I do mean thin a little goes a long way) layer in my palm, rub my palms together making sure I got it on my fingers as well. Then I would massage my scalp with my fingertips. Afterwards I would run my palms and fingers lightly through my hair and finish off with gathering my ends together...running my fingers around them. I would do this daily mind you but only because I wet my hair daily when I showered in the a.m.

As I said it wasn't until 2 years ago I even heard the words castor oil and upon further research realized that castor oil and "palma christi" a.k.a. "palm of christ" were all the same thing. It has medicinal/healing qualities (hence the name "palm of christ"). I purchased the "Heritage" brand. So castor oil is pretty incredible IMO. I totally dig it's softening/healing effects. I even recommended it to a friend whose husband had feet as rough as brillo pads (according to her) and they are smooth as anything now. He used it for 2-3 months though.

I'm not using it now because I purchased a gi-normous bottle of it and it's back home in GA, right now I'm away for studies and I didn't want to risk a travel size bottle of it opening up in my suitcase crammed with a culmination of 2 years worth of homework material. So I'm blow drying and I haven't tried it in conjunction with the blow drying.

I know that people have been given castor oil when they were young as an oral medication. I never used it orally so I can't say anything on that.

I hope that helped,

CG

Below are some links:

http://naturalmedicine.suite101.com/article.cfm/castor_oil

http://www.annieappleseedproject.org/castoroiluses.html

http://www.bhavinexport.com/castor.html