Anti Fungal Oils

Neith

Just thought I'd throw this out there:

Coconut oil and castor oil seem to have anti-fungal/anti-bacterial properties. This is news to me, I dunno about y'all. I know a lot of people use sulfur based growth aides and synthetic antifungals for hair growth...

Castor Oil - Approximately 90% Ricinoleic Acid
Ricinoleic acid is effective in preventing the growth of numerous species of viruses, bacteria, yeasts, and molds. It's successful as a topical treatment for ringworm, keratoses, skin inflammation, abrasions, fungal-infected finger- and toenails, acne, and chronic pruritus (itching). Generally, for these conditions the affected area is wrapped each night in a castor oil-soaked cloth.

Coconut Oil - Approximately 40% Lauric Acid and 8% Caprylic Acid

Lauric acid is known in the pharmaceutical industries as an antimicrobial. You many have heard of its cousin, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. It's commonly used in soaps and shampoos for its ability to remove fats (grease) with water.

Caprylic acid can be used to treat and cure of fungus infections and yeast infections, especially systemic, chronic, or recurrent fungus infection and yeast infection caused by Candida albicans intestinal yeast overgrowth (Candidiasis).

Interesting stuff, huh?

Seems that the Lauric acid in coconut oil is more beneficial inside the body, but it may have anti bacterial/fungal properties outside as well.

Haven't heavily researched this, but seems to be some solid info there.

I think it'd make a good alternative to coochie cream :)

msa

This is why we missed you! Great info, thanks.

Oh and have you seen thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com? I think you would like it.

MAMATO

Good info Neith, thanks. I knew for the Coconut oil but had no clue for the Castor oil. BTW, Welcome back, we really missed you :)

yaya24

♥Naija°Texan • Realtor • SPX Options #RichAunty●♡•
Great info!! isn't tea tree oil one too?

Neith

Yeah, I like neem too. but the one I used was kinda stank. And I unsuccessfully tried to make some lol.

This is why we missed you! Great info, thanks.

Oh and have you seen thenaturalhaven.blogspot.com? I think you would like it.

Will go check it out now :D

Good info Neith, thanks. I knew for the Coconut oil but had no clue for the Castor oil. BTW, Welcome back, we really missed you :)

Thank you! :hug:

Yeah, I missed you too, neith. Long time no hear from :grin:.

I never really left yall, I was here in spirit :)

Thanks!

Garlic oil does the same thing. So does Ginger (anti-inflammatory & anti-fungal).

I didn't know that! Are they essential oils?

Great info!! isn't tea tree oil one too?

Yep! but what got me is that coconut oil and castor oil are carrier oils. I didn't know that carrier oils would have those properties.

but yeah, I've used tea tree. Good stuff!

So is this the chemical make up of pure coconut oil?

Yep. Straight out of the coconut... or jar... it's a natural antifungal. :)

*Muffin*

Yeah, I like neem too. but the one I used was kinda stank. And I unsuccessfully tried to make some

Yeah it is very stanky, lol. But it's not so much when you mix it in things. I usually mix about a dropperful in with my deep conditioners and I made my own Vatika oil using neem oil, and the smell isn't so bad. But not straight up :nono:. Too smelly.