Be Very Careful When You Use Shikakai Powder...

Nice & Wavy

...please, protect your eyes!

I love using this powder, but chile...when it got in my eye last night, I was about to throw the whole box away and was on the verge of cussin too:look::lachen:It burn like nothing else:nono:

Please if you use it or plan on using it....wear goggles while applying it to your hair.

As I was applying it last night, some of my hair fell forward and some of the paste hit my eye and my eye was burningggggggggggg! I rinsed it immediately with lukewarm water and then used some Visine. It helped alot, but it took awhile to get my eye to calm down.

I wanted to share this because I would hate for someone else to go through this...it wasn't pretty:nono:

BTW: My hair came out blingin this morning:grin:...no I ain't take no pictures:lachen:

dlewis

I agree those powders are no joke. But I love that powder, really leaves my hair smooth and oh so pretty.

Is the burning like getting shampoo in your eye or worse.....sorry u experienced that, I hope all is well though.....your story made my eyes itch......thanks for the warning....

qwnbee1

I love using this powder, but chile...when it got in my eye last night, I was about to throw the whole box away and was on the verge of cussin too:look::lachen:It burn like nothing else:nono:

Please if you use it or plan on using it....wear goggles while applying it to your hair.

As I was applying it last night, some of my hair fell forward and some of the paste hit my eye and my eye was burningggggggggggg! I rinsed it immediately with lukewarm water and then used some Visine. It helped alot, but it took awhile to get my eye to calm down.

I wanted to share this because I would hate for someone else to go through this...it wasn't pretty:nono:

BTW: My hair came out blingin this morning:grin:...no I ain't take no pictures:lachen:
AS A NEWBIE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU USE THE POWDER.

Eisani

I just had this visual of someone standing in their bathroom in a plastic cape, rubber gloves, and goggles :diver:

brownelovely

ummmm...wish you would have posted this last weekend...my eye was on fire 4eva!!! :lachen: I had to run out the shower (brown juices from the powder was everywhere) hollering while trying to get the wet hair out my face while keeping my eyes closed SMH a mess!

It burns like h.e.l.l.z Glad to see I wasn't the only one who did this :lachen:

Definitely important..glad u posted.

mahoganee

Thanks for the heads up.:blush: I bought some this month and haven't used it yet. It'll be my first time using powders.

~NanCeBoTwin~

I used the shikakai in a Brahmi Amla mixture last week for the first time...it didn't get in my eyes, however, the skin around my eyes was on fire!!!! I knew it was due to the shikakai while my usual rinse falls to my face often, this was the first time I'd noticed an irritating feeling around my eyes.....but dont worry it wasnt enough to deter me, i'm an ayurveda addict

Stella B.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Nice and Wavy! For this very reason, I am starting to think about purchasing a portable shampoo bowl for rinsing products out of my hair like shampoo, henna and powders. These products do not belong on your face, or anywhere near your eyes!! I always rinse my hair with a face towel in the shower, because when I hold my head upright, the rinse water comes streaming down my face, and I use the face towel to wipe it away quickly. Sometimes I haven't been quick enough, and yes, that product rich rinse water can burn like fire!!:blush: I even wonder if the shower is the best place for rinsing, or the vertical angle that we pull our heads back while in the shower to shampoo and rinse is enough to keep the product from penetrating the scalp, instead of being washed away! For right now I am just trying to keep various body parts clear of loose hair strands and product as the rinse water travels down my back. And I am learning how to dilute, dilute, dilute with water my shampoos, and powders in an applicator bottle first, then get in the shower for the rinse. This does give you more control when applying, but it can still run down your face! So sorry this happened to you, and glad you reacted quickly enough to prevent any real damage to your eyes.

Nice & Wavy

I agree those powders are no joke. But I love that powder, really leaves my hair smooth and oh so pretty.
Girl, that stuff is the best stuff I've ever used to get rid of buildup and makes the hair sooooooooo soft afterwards. I usually follow up with my shampoo bar and my hair is so squeaky clean without dryness:yep:

Is the burning like getting shampoo in your eye or worse.....sorry u experienced that, I hope all is well though.....your story made my eyes itch......thanks for the warning....
Girl, I'd rather get shampoo in my eyes....that stuff was HORRIBLE!!! Thanks and my eye is so much better. You are more than welcome!

AS A NEWBIE, I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU USE THE POWDER.
Well, I mix it with warm water and a little moisturizing conditioner. Mix well until its a paste consistancy. MAKE SURE YOU WEAR SOME GOGGLES and take a section at a time and smooth the paste on from root to tips. Leave on your hair for about 15 minutes and then rinse. Do not comb hair or manipulate hair while mix is in it!!!

I got some in my eye one time too. That stuff ain't no joke. I thought I was going blind.
Girllllllllllllllllllll....I'm just saying:nono:

I just had this visual of someone standing in their bathroom in a plastic cape, rubber gloves, and goggles :diver:
Yep, I'm gonna take a pic of my get up next wash:lachen:

ummmm...wish you would have posted this last weekend...my eye was on fire 4eva!!! :lachen: I had to run out the shower (brown juices from the powder was everywhere) hollering while trying to get the wet hair out my face while keeping my eyes closed SMH a mess!

It burns like h.e.l.l.z Glad to see I wasn't the only one who did this :lachen:

Definitely important..glad u posted.
I rinse in the kitchen sink, but it was while I was lathering it on my hair is when it got into my eye.....girlllllllllllllllll I was heated.....:nono::lachen:

Thanks for the links!

I wish you had posted this LAST YEAR when I almost went blind LOL that stuff stings like crazy!
Girl, I wish you would have made a thread about it so we would have been warned....:lachen:..girl, I was forming all kinds of words out of my mouth:lachen:

Thanks for the heads up.:blush: I bought some this month and haven't used it yet. It'll be my first time using powders.
Girl.....go to the dollar tree and get some goggles! Let us know how your hair comes out!

I used the shikakai in a Brahmi Amla mixture last week for the first time...it didn't get in my eyes, however, the skin around my eyes was on fire!!!! I knew it was due to the shikakai while my usual rinse falls to my face often, this was the first time I'd noticed an irritating feeling around my eyes.....but dont worry it wasnt enough to deter me, i'm an ayurveda addict
Really? Wow...I wonder if you are allergic to something in it. Hope it was just that one time:yep:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Nice and Wavy! For this very reason, I am starting to think about purchasing a portable shampoo bowl for rinsing products out of my hair like shampoo, henna and powders. These products do not belong on your face, or anywhere near your eyes!! I always rinse my hair with a face towel in the shower, because when I hold my head upright, the rinse water comes streaming down my face, and I use the face towel to wipe it away quickly. Sometimes I haven't been quick enough, and yes, that product rich rinse water can burn like fire!!:blush: I even wonder if the shower is the best place for rinsing, or the vertical angle that we pull our heads back while in the shower to shampoo and rinse is enough to keep the product from penetrating the scalp, instead of being washed away! For right now I am just trying to keep various body parts clear of loose hair strands and product as the rinse water travels down my back. And I am learning how to dilute, dilute, dilute with water my shampoos, and powders in an applicator bottle first, then get in the shower for the rinse. This does give you more control when applying, but it can still run down your face! So sorry this happened to you, and glad you reacted quickly enough to prevent any real damage to your eyes.
Chile, I have learned my lesson about this...only takes me one time to go through something...I don't do 2,3,4 times:lachen:

Thank you so much!

Aggie

I totally agree N & W. I got some aritha powder in my eye one time and I nearly used the toilet in my shower:lachen:. It was a really bad sting and I tell you, it took some time to get that sting out.

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
:giggle: N&W, the thought of you cussin is so funny! If something hurt enough to make YOU wanna cuss, I KNOW it hurt! :lachen:

Luckily, I'm too lazy to use anything ayurvedic :lol: