My hair hates Shikakai!!!!

asubeauty

The title says it all. I just tried Shikakai powder, and my hair was such a dry, brittle, tangled mess!! I'm redoing my prepoo with my Pantene R&N Breakage Defense Mask (I usually just use any old conditioner, but this was an emergency...) and some more Amla oil and I'm sitting under the dryer now. I plan to wash with Humectress and DC and hope my hair is back to normal when I'm done. :perplexed

KaramelDiva1978

Asubeauty,
How did you use it? I know its very difficult for me to do the paste, but straining the grit and using it as a tea works well. Of course, you should deep condition afterwards, as you are doing now. All will be back to normal after your conditioning treatment. I'm sorry your experience was so bad!! :sad:

Have you tried the shampoo bar?

Angelicus

Ok, I'm not deeply into indian stuff at all and I only use it for entertainment purposes only but I would never use Shikakai powder by itself. It is drying, just like henna. It has to be mixed with something like amla, or some other conditioning agent to even get a decent result.

I'm sorry that it didn't work for you but I would try making a paste with 1 part shikakai with two parts (or three) of amla. HTH- ankers

Cleve_gryl

I had better luck with the shikakai bar than the powder :nono:. I made a tea mixed with amla powder and it was a dry crunchy mess too.

drasgrl

I did the same think today only with amla powder and yeah my hair was dry and hard as straw after I washed it. I DC'd with Motions conditioner and my hair felt 1000% better. I think I didn't add enough oil, my paste was on the dry side.

Here's the recipe I used...
Instead of olive oil I used coconut and amla oil I only used a small amount of olive oil.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2125438_use-amla-powder-look-younger.html

* 4 tsp Amla powder
* 4 tsp conditioner
* Olive oil
* Fork or whisk
* Pastry bag or zip close sandwich bag
* Plastic shower cap
* Towel
* Scissors
* Comb
* Bowl
* Spoon

Steps
Step One
Pour all of the Amla powder into a deep bowl. Slowly add the olive oil and mix with a fork or whisk until it makes a stiff paste, similar to art paste used in elementary school. Add all of the conditioner, mix until all ingredients are blended.
Step Two
Let this mixture stand for 15 minutes.
Step Three
Spoon into either a pastry bag or a sandwich bag. If using a pastry bag, twist end and cut small diagonal opening with scissors, enough to pipe the mixture into your hair. If using a sandwich bag, zip it shut and twist upper corner like you would the pastry bag, again cut a small diagonal hole in the tip with scissors.
Step Four
Comb and section your hair. Squeeze Amla mixture along the sections until you cover your whole head. Use your fingers to massage it into your scalp. Use the remaining paste to cover the rest of your hair. Pile your hair on top of your head.
Step Five
Cover your head with the plastic shower cap, then, cover that with a towel twisted on your hair like you would when you leave the shower.
Step Six
Wait 15 minutes. If deep conditioning is desired, you may leave it on for up to 1 hour.

Eisani

I love the CoCasta Shikakai Hair Oil from Hairveda.net. It's like the best of all worlds. I don't think I'll ever try any of the powders because I don't like a whole lotta work.

The ingredients of the oil are: Castor Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Shikaki Oil, Amla Oil, Brahmi Oil, Neem Oil, Henna extract, Vatika oil, and fragrance.

asubeauty

Asubeauty,
How did you use it? I know its very difficult for me to do the paste, but straining the grit and using it as a tea works well. Of course, you should deep condition afterwards, as you are doing now. All will be back to normal after your conditioning treatment. I'm sorry your experience was so bad!! :sad:

Have you tried the shampoo bar?

I mixed the shikakai with an equal amount of alma and added a lot of water, so it was actually thinner than a paste. My hair was soaking wet when I added it. I did a prepoo with Alma oil first.

I tried the shampoo bar, but it smelled so bad that I couldn't even finish washing with it. I just used my Nexxus Therrape.

This was the shampoo bar I used.

I wasn't planning on buying it, but I saw it in the Indian store and remembered reading about it on here, so I bought it. :lol:

MissMasala5

...Plus your hair needs to be saturated with oil before rinsing or pasting those powders.

ITA! I was put off by shikakai (bar) my first time, but I didn't prepoo with the oils first, either. The second time I used it, I did an overnight oiling first then washed with the shikakai bar, and have been hooked ever since.

nappity

I hated Shikaki too. But it was cause I steeped it in oil and applied to my hair and scalp. My hair revolted! LOL. But after a deep moisturizing condish. I was good to go. Now I make the hair brew. I bought a very fine sieve from walmart and just strain my tea with that. I leave for 20 minutes- under a warm dryer and scritch away. Then I always follow with a deep conditioner. I love it now that I learned how to do it so it suits my hairs needs. One thing I learned from doing the ayurveda thing- is that after 9 years of being natural- my hair hates oils on it directly.:nono: (who'd a thunk it)

Fine 4s

I had better luck with the shikakai bar than the powder :nono:. I made a tea mixed with amla powder and it was a dry crunchy mess too.

I'm not sure I'm giving up quite yet BUT, I just posted something about these powders dying my tub brown....and yes, my hair was crunchy for a bit too....

IntoMyhair

I'm not sure I'm giving up quite yet BUT, I just posted something about these powders dying my tub brown....and yes, my hair was crunchy for a bit too....

I have to use bleach to get the stain out. Pure bleach not with water added.

Everything Zen

hmmm.... I might stay away from the powders now. I have only used the shikakai and amla oils and they have worked fine and helped with my dandruff. Maybe you should just stick to oils?

asubeauty

Ladies, my hair never recovered. :sad: I tried to rollerset, but it was too tangled, so now it's in a wet bun and I'm going to tie it up and hope it airdries overnight.

I'm going to deep condition again tomorrow and see it that helps. :ohwell:

CHECKMATE!

Ladies, my hair never recovered. :sad: I tried to rollerset, but it was too tangled, so now it's in a wet bun and I'm going to tie it up and hope it airdries overnight.

I had a similar experience with henna:nono:....its gonna take some time for your hair to get back to normal...I did cowashes for the next several days following the application....and it was alot bettter,try it,it works:yep:...i also went to sleep with a prepoo (any thick DC will do)....:yep: HTH

vpoetic

Your hair is probably mad at you:nono:. I pretty sure that your hair will be better tomorrow, hopefully some benefit came from using Shikakai.

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
I'm sorry about your experience. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Indian products.

OT: I just wanted to tell you that your rollerset in your siggy is HELLA CUTE!! You did the dayum thing with those rollers!

stinastina

I'm sorry about your bad experience. I just used shikakai for the first time yesterday and I really liked it. The night before I oiled my hair with coconut oil. I didn't saturate it, just lightly oiled and massaged my scalp. Then yesterday morning I mixed about 2 tablespoons of Hesh Shikakai powder with a large cup of water. Then when I was in the shower I poured a cup at a time on my hair. My hair felt so soft after the first application ! I don't know how cleansing it is, but I liked how my hair felt. After rinsing, I used my conditioner. My hair was soft all day. I'm natural and it took out a lot of my curl pattern. It was easy to comb and I didn't have a lot of shedding like I usually do.

cmw45

...Plus your hair needs to be saturated with oil before rinsing or pasting those powders.

I never use it by itself either :nono: as it is very drying. Instead where ther receipe suggest that you use water until you reach the desired thickness, I use a cheapie conditioner like Suave Naturals Coconut.

Dposh167

I never use it by itself either :nono: as it is very drying. Instead where ther receipe suggest that you use water until you reach the desired thickness, I use a cheapie conditioner like Suave Naturals Coconut.

so u mix the powders with conditioner? How did that turn out?

Evalina1

What is the big difference between the Shikakai Powder and the Shikakai Oil... What is the purpose of the powder. I understand what the henna Powder do but I am not sure of the purpose of the powder!:spinning:

yodie

I had this experience after I first tried henna. Trying scurl. wet your hair and then spritz it with Scurl. Let that sit for an hour or so and then deep condition. This was the only thing that helped my hair get back to normal.

Creatividual

Try the shikakai bar instead. It works great for me in the bar form. And then I use a dominican rinse right after to soften my hair back up.

ALWAYZL8

ASU,

I tried the Shikaikai bar and I was miserable. I scratched my scalp raw. I shampooed and conditioned my hair the next day. You know I am transitioning...I had so much breakage and shedding that I cried. I used Amla the night before and saturated my hair with oil before I used the bar. I also conditioned after using it. My hair was just a tangled mess. I threw that mess away! :nono:

kellie7777

oh no.. that is awful.

night before - i use the shikakai oil on my scalp only. then i add the alma oil to my hair. not saturated though

the next day i mix 2 tbsp alma powder and 1 tbsp shikakai powder and add 1 cup hot water. i let that cool to room temp. then i strain the tea and when i go to the shower i add another 3 cups water to my tea rinse and i pour that over my hair rubbing my scalp and letting the tea run off my hair.
after wards i put conditioner on my hair and let that sit, then i rinse out and style as usual. i found that letting the tea sit on my hair for more than 5 mins was drying. when i wash it out after 5 mins it was good.

Shikakai seems to be a powerful cleaner from my research so i wouldnt use too much of it. IMO.

Last edited:

noemi

I've used the bar and powder and then jointly with henna and I always get dry hard hair and even after washing 20 minutes and using cremy conditioner I have little 'grit' in my hair! I don't think I'll be trying this anymore!:nono: