Anyone find that acv rinses as the final rinse isn't for them?

Ari8

wow, undiluted acv?! That seems like it would eat your hair up! when you diluted was it tap water? @Ari8

I'm still trying to understand why I was able to do that. I was so freaked out when I realized what I'd just done, but then I felt my hair and....:lick: But like I said, the effects were very temporary.

Whenever I dilute it, I just use plain ol' tap water. What's the difference between that and distilled water?

Lilmama1011

I'm still trying to understand why I was able to do that. I was so freaked out when I realized what I'd just done, but then I felt my hair and....:lick: But like I said, the effects were very temporary.

Whenever I dilute it, I just use plain ol' tap water. What's the difference between that and distilled water?

Well Nonie and some other can attest that you get better results with distilled water because your tap water can be very hard and cause tangles, knot and stripped feeling while distilled water leaves you with untangled,soft, and manageable hair

EssenceOfBeauty

In my experience I have found that most use an ACV rinse that is too acidic. When I first started tinkering with a possible solution I tried a bunch, most too acidic because my hair felt like straw...and the first one that worked was the solution Nonie suggested.

While browsing through kimmaytube videos, I watched her pH bonus video again and made note of her ACV plus distilled water mix.
Starts at the 3:48 mark.

I/4 teaspoon ACV (undiluted has a pH of 3) in 4oz/120mls of distilled water (neutral pH of 7) got the pH of 4.

I tried out this mix and tested it using pH strips and I got the very similar results.

I use distilled water only because my tap water's pH is 9.3 so I always get consistent pH results of 4ish.

My hair loves it.

Nonie

[USER=372777]Ari8[/USER];18494355 said:
Komaza Care suggested I use 1 cup of ACV to 1 cup of H2O. I tried it a few times and barely noticed any effects, good or bad. It was like pouring water on my hair. What do you think?

But yeah, I've tried Vanthie's ratio before and my hair felt awful. It was too strong.

I think that solution is even worse than Vanthie's solution. If you were pouring it on bare hair, then I would be surprised you didn't end up with straw/steel wool. If you were pouring it on hair covered with product (like if you had not used shampoo but were using it to clarify) then I would guess whatever coating your hair had protected it.

I just think you risk damaging your hair not diluting it more.

Nonie

[USER=327265]Lilmama1011[/USER];18494391 said:
Well Nonie and some other can attest that you get better results with distilled water because your tap water can be very hard and cause tangles, knot and stripped feeling while distilled water leaves you with untangled,soft, and manageable hair

Ari8 Lilmama1011 makes a point. If you have hard water, then the ACV's pH will be changed so it may not be as harsh. Still, I would not risk it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
For me and my overly porous hair (in the beginning), it was the winning solution to correcting my Porosity issues and restoring my hair back to Normal.

Since I DC with heat on a regular, and also being Relaxed for me it does what I need it to do. Consistently.

I've never felt that ACV Rinsing after DC'ing negated any of the effects of the DC Session, or I probably wouldn't have continued to do it for 3+ years as a Solid part of my Regimen.

Having said that, I also know my Limitations and the fact that "I am NOT a Mixtress" I would probably get pre-occupied and mess up something simple as: Just Add Water.:lol:

So, that's why I stick to the pre-mix. Like Hairveda. Also: Afroveda has one, Shi-Naturals has one and Koils By Nature all have an ACV Rinses.

Claudies is very good but you have to mix & measure and I AGTFT:lol:

BonBon

Thanks Nonie:grin:

Lucky I came in this thread. I don't think my hair can handle all that. It felt like velcro for a month or two last time I tried it.

Am surprised they are getting it so wrong

Honi

There is no board.
I don't understand the purpose of doing an ACV after DC. Conditioner coats the hair and the rinse is removing it.

I use it after "shampooing" to remove residue then rinse. I also use white which has a lower pH than ACV so my ratio of DWV to water is even smaller. You don't need a lot to get the softening results. Overshoot and your hair will definitely seize.

frizzy

It's been a while since I've done an ACV rinse, but when I do them, I put a small capful into a 16 oz spray bottle. I concentrate the spritz on my scalp while DC is still on my hair, work it through, and rinse it all out with water.

My goal is to seal the moisture from the DC into the strands of my hair and close the cuticle after steaming.

hair4today

In my experience I have found that most use an ACV rinse that is too acidic. When I first started tinkering with a possible solution I tried a bunch, most too acidic because my hair felt like straw...and the first one that worked was the solution Nonie suggested.

While browsing through kimmaytube videos, I watched her pH bonus video again and made note of her ACV plus distilled water mix.
Starts at the 3:48 mark.

I/4 teaspoon ACV (undiluted has a pH of 3) in 4oz/120mls of distilled water (neutral pH of 7) got the pH of 4.

I tried out this mix and tested it using pH strips and I got the very similar results.

I use distilled water only because my tap water's pH is 9.3 so I always get consistent pH results of 4ish.

My hair loves it.

This is the ratio I use also...1 tsp to 16 oz water. It's done wonders for my hair, it closes the cuticles, leaving my hair soft, shiny with very little frizz. A staple in my routine.

Nonie

[USER=320]Honi[/USER];18495109 said:
I don't understand the purpose of doing an ACV after DC. Conditioner coats the hair and the rinse is removing it.

I use it after "shampooing" to remove residue then rinse. I also use white which has a lower pH than ACV so my ratio of DWV to water is even smaller. You don't need a lot to get the softening results. Overshoot and your hair will definitely seize.

An ACV rinse closes the hair cuticle and leaves strands smooth. That is the point of it. I have never understood the point of using it BEFORE an DC because it closes the cuticles thus making it harder for conditioner to penetrate strands. Also I never use concentrations like you would use to clean things. Hair's natural pH is acidic. Alkalines raise hair cuticle and makes strands rough and easy to tangle. Acids close hair cuticles. Strong acids or alkalines will damage hair. Hence the importance of diluting it well.

Also a DEEP CONDITIONER doesn't just coat hair. It is supposed to penetrate the hair and give it internal moisture/conditioning.

Lilmama1011

i did do the acv rinse with distilled water, i like that way it felt after rinsing out the conditioner, so maybe next week

Guinan

Re-Branding
An ACV rinse closes the hair cuticle and leaves strands smooth. That is the point of it. I have never understood the point of using it BEFORE an DC because it closes the cuticles thus making it harder for conditioner to penetrate strands. Also I never use concentrations like you would use to clean things. Hair's natural pH is acidic. Alkalines raise hair cuticle and makes strands rough and easy to tangle. Acids close hair cuticles. Strong acids or alkalines will damage hair. Hence the importance of diluting it well.

Also a DEEP CONDITIONER doesn't just coat hair. It is supposed to penetrate the hair and give it internal moisture/conditioning.

I just brought the Bragg ACV. I was going to use it prior to shampooing (sulfate & paraben free) & then DC w/ heat.

I plan on using 1teaspoon of ACV & 2 cups of water.

Do you think this is ok? Or should I change the order of applying the ACV? I was planning on using the ACV as a clarifier & do this once a month. How often do you do the ACV? BTW, I'm texlaxed.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a little confused:spinning:

Guinan

Re-Branding
Any relaxed/texlaxed ladies using ACV? I just relaxed last week & was planning on using this today to clarify.

I was trying to follow how naptural85 does her ACV. I wonder does it matter since she's natural & I'm not.

Last edited:

Nonie

[USER=353889]pelohello[/USER];18498555 said:
I just brought the Bragg ACV. I was going to use it prior to shampooing (sulfate & paraben free) & then DC w/ heat.

I plan on using 1teaspoon of ACV & 2 cups of water.

Do you think this is ok? Or should I change the order of applying the ACV? I was planning on using the ACV as a clarifier & do this once a month. How often do you do the ACV? BTW, I'm texlaxed.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a little confused:spinning:

I do not use ACV as a clarifyer because I don't see the point. Why not use a shampoo that is a clarifyer? Most clarifyers are very alkaline, so the idea of using ACV as a clarifyer just does not add up for me. What's more, if you use it before a shampoo, it seems you will be going from having closed cuticles to maybe open, or at least going from more acidic to less acidic.

To me, what makes sense is using ACV at the end of a wash and after conditioner to close the cuticle and seal in the goodness of the conditioner.

As for your ratio, I can't recommend anything I don't use. I would add a little more than half a cup of water to your measurements. I would rather err on the side of caution and go too dilute than risk destroying my hair. Even a drop of ACV would make water more acidic than without it and so better for your hair.

I have used ACV at the end of every wash since I learned about it in 2004 and wash my hair twice a week. I also spritz my twists with an ACV solution between washes if I need to style. And as stated before, I mix a 1/4 cup in 2 gallons and dunk my head in it, massaging my scalp to improve circulation with my head held down while letting my hair soak up the goodness of ACV. Or I towel dry my hair and then spritz it with an ACV solution so acidity is the last thing that touches my hair.

Honi

There is no board.

Interesting because I've never had a problem using it afterwards and had great results before I DC. Dr. Bronners castile soap and shampoo bars leave a residue and if I did a DC right after using it, the results were awful even with steam which is why I didn't understand the point. I would want to leave the coating on the surface of the hair as well as the penetrating benefit.

Jewell

Any relaxed/texlaxed ladies using ACV? I just relaxed last week & was planning on using this today to clarify.

I was trying to follow how naptural85 does her ACV. I wonder does it matter since she's natural & I'm not.

Im texlaxed and use a dilute acv rinse as my final rinse, and it works for me. I use 2 tablespoons acv to about 32-36 oz of water, so it is quite dilute but still effective for my purposes. I have used it before a conditioner and I much prefer it as a final rinse.

Sometimes, I will rinse with warm water, douse my hair and scalp in the acv solution, massage it through, rinse, then add conditioner as a general rinse before cowashing. I dont feel much of a difference using it either before or after a conditioner, but I figure it is best as a final rinse to close the cuticle. Im thinking about chemistry and the workings of alkalines, bases, and acids when it comes to this using acv and hair. I also do a cool water rinse to seal the cuticle.

Last edited:

Jewell

Ari8 Lilmama1011 makes a point. If you have hard water, then the ACV's pH will be changed so it may not be as harsh. Still, I would not risk it.

EXACTLY. The pH of your Tap (if using straight tap) has to be considered when doing an acv rinse. My tap is very hard and 85% of NC's water comes through granite bedrock. Acv rinses DID NOT work for my hair before I purchased a shower filter. Now, they work fine since chemicals, VOCs, heavy metals, sulfur, rust, etc have been removed before the water touches my hair (and body). My dry skin was also remedied. (whole 'nother thread).

I even notice a difference in how my body feels when I drink tap water versus bottled or filtered water. That is because the body thrives in a slightly alkaline environment and so alkaline water is better. An unbalanced pH environment in the body are detrimental to health. I just dont feel right when i drink tap, and I get more aches, pains, and headaches. More tired too...whole 'nother thread too.:drunk:

Nonie is our adorable resident chemist at LHCF and she knows all this...I have read enough of her posts to know that she is right!!

Last edited:

MsEveMarie

EXACTLY. The pH of your Tap (if using straight tap) has to be considered when doing an acv rinse. My tap is very hard and 85% of NC's water comes through granite bedrock. Acv rinses DID NOT work for my hair before I purchased a shower filter. Now, they work fine since chemicals, VOCs, heavy metals, sulfur, rust, etc have been removed before the water touches my hair (and body). My dry skin was also remedied. (whole 'nother thread).

I even notice a difference in how my body feels when I drink tap water versus bottled or filtered water. That is because the body thrives in a slightly alkaline environment and so alkaline water is better. An unbalanced pH environment in the body are detrimental to health. I just dont feel right when i drink tap, and I get more aches, pains, and headaches. More tired too...whole 'nother thread too.:drunk:

Nonie is our adorable resident chemist at LHCF and she knows all this...I have read enough of her posts to know that she is right!!

Which filter did you purchase?

Guinan

Re-Branding

Thanks ladies, I will do this as a final rinse. Jewell, how often u use ACV? I have 2 get sum spring water.:yep: but for now ill just use sum reg tap.

Last edited:

Jewell

pelohello

Once a week, but i cw 2-4 times/wk.

MsEveMarie

Crystal Quest shower filter from Ebay. Seller has website: www.qualitywaterfiltersforyou.com, and is same name on Ebay. These and similar filters can be found all over ebay and amazon. Its about $25 and lasts 6-12 mos depending on usage. Easy to install. Ive had mine 3+ mos and will never be without one again. Hth! Its ISO certified too.

Nonie

Interesting because I've never had a problem using it afterwards and had great results before I DC. Dr. Bronners castile soap and shampoo bars leave a residue and if I did a DC right after using it, the results were awful even with steam which is why I didn't understand the point. I would want to leave the coating on the surface of the hair as well as the penetrating benefit.

Honi not sure I get what you mean by the penetrating benefit. Of what? ACV? If so, what would that be?

Dr Bonner's Castile Soap is one of the harshest shampoos there is. It is so alkaline that it is no wonder you find using ACV immediately after it works for you. That is probably coz you simply get your hair back to normal with the ACV (similar to someone who uses a pH balanced shampoo like Giovanni 50:50) so conditioning for you is similar to just the Giovanni person following a regular wash with a DC. And if you have porous hair or are not using a filter, then that further explains why you need to do an ACV after that very harsh shampoo. And if hard water is something you are dealing with, and you don't rinse the DC with distilled water then you basically end up with rougher strands than you had mid-wash coz instead of the acidity you added to your hair being the last pH you leave your hair in as you would with distilled water, you wash it off with more alkaline water leaving your cuticle in a raised state, easy to be ripped off by friction and for strands to tangle.

ETA: The pH of Castile Soap is about 9. This chart shows you how far that is from normal hair pH which is around 4.5-5:

Here's a list of different shampoos' pH which may help answer some questions: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html?m=1

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
Honi not sure I get what you mean by the penetrating benefit. Of what? ACV? If so, what would that be?

Dr Bonner's Castile Soap is one of the harshest shampoos there is. It is so alkaline that it is no wonder you find using ACV immediately after it works for you. That is probably coz you simply get your hair back to normal with the ACV (similar to someone who uses a pH balanced shampoo like Giovanni 50:50) so conditioning for you is similar to just the Giovanni person following a regular wash with a DC. And if you have porous hair or are not using a filter, then that further explains why you need to do an ACV after that very harsh shampoo. And if hard water is something you are dealing with, and you don't rinse the DC with distilled water then you basically end up with rougher strands than you had mid-wash coz instead of the acidity you added to your hair being the last pH you leave your hair in as you would with distilled water, you wash it off with more alkaline water leaving your cuticle in a raised state, easy to be ripped off by friction and for strands to tangle.

ETA: The pH of Castile Soap is about 9. This chart shows you how far that is from normal hair pH which is around 4.5-5:

Here's a list of different shampoos' pH which may help answer some questions: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/02/ph-of-shampoo-ultimate-list.html?m=1

Nonie

No, I meant the penetrating and coating benefits of the DC.

I never use castile soap full strength. I don't think anybody does. It's very, very dilute however the crayon effect or residue is/was much worse with the shampoo bars. My hair is very soft and not rough or tangly at all BUT I can tell by feeling that there is something left on the hair. Once the rinse is used my strands fall apart and is smooth and silk like. I rinse then DC under steam. Lastly there is the leave in which is pH balanced and I'm good to go.

I have no idea what my water is (hard vs. soft). I should look into that but I'm leaning towards hard.

Now for my daughter's natural 4b hair, I've tried pH balance shampoos on her and they didn't work at all. I struggled to find something that worked until I switched. I try not to experiment with anything that currently works. Her hair is past her waist and I ain't got time for all that product roulette :lol:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I did a ACV rinse for the 1st time yesterday and my hair is in HEAVEN!!! I did it as a final rinse, massaged in for about 2mins and rinse. I used 1teaspoon of Braggs ACV and 8oz of water. I rinsed with warm water and then with cold water. My hair feels sooooo good. Its shiney & it feels stronger.

Ari8

I still want to make this stuff work because I can see that it has potential.

I did another rinse yesterday using a ratio mentioned in this thread - 1 teaspoon in 2.5 cups of water. My hair felt great in the beginning, but as I continued to pour the solution into my hair, the silkiness began to disappear and by the time my hair dried, it was long gone. Is it possible that you don't need to use the entire mixture to get the effects of the vinegar? Just use enough until you feel that "slippy," silky feeling and discard the rest...? (I really hope some understands what I'm saying here, LOL.)

Or was this solution just too weak?

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
Lilmama1011 have you considered using DC's and LI's/moisturizers with Aloe Vera Leaf Juice in them to close and/or make your cuticles smooth?

You wouldn't have to mix anything and the products do the work.

celiabug

Whoa i didn't know you were supposed to dilute it. I just poured the whole bottle on my head. Maybe that's why it didn't work! Lmao!!