Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

fivetimestwo

Hi ladies,

I've been lurking in this thread for a while. A few days ago (Wednesday), I decided to straighten (I've been trying to perfect it off and on for a while now) and as I type this, my hair is still straight. Here's what I did/used:

• I did my normal wash/condition (I used Cream of Nature Poo and Pantene R&N Mask)
  • I applied about a quarter size amount of my daily moisturizer (avocado butter/shea butter/aloe vera gel) and about 2 quarters worth of Giovanni Direct leave-in.
  • I used the Pinkskates method to blow dry (no combs/brushes-just using your hand to keep the hair taught)
  • I hit each section with the cool shot for about 30 secs. after my hair was fully dry.
  • I applied a dime sized amount of Frizz-Ease Serum (the extra strength one on the purple bottle) to each side of my head.
  • I then proceeded to flat iron small sections with my maxiglide-I did not use the plate with the pins this time. I had it set on level 6.
  • I then spray a little Smooth and Shine Glosser on my hair.
At first, I thought this would be just like all the other times I flat ironed my hair, but it came out much silkier. The true test was the next morning when I had to go out to drop the kids off. It was drizzling:look: but I remained frizz and puff free. This is a first for me. I am definitely going to take pics next time. I can't believe my hair stayed straight for more than an hour :lachen:

xquizit01

Turnergirl did a really good job straightening her hair when she was natural (now texelaxed). I wasn't able to find any info on her fotki page or any posts on the board regarding her technique except for that she uses just a tiny bit of Mizani curl wax/creme. Maybe that's all she does. Does anyone have any info?

4 a/b (I think)
Last Relaxer: 11/06
Mini Chop - 02/08 (lots of uneven layers:nono:)
-Longest layer in the back is a little past shoulder length.
Hair Goal: APL by 12/08 :yep:
80% Natural
Vitamins: 1 prenatal a day (no biotin)
Staples: Fantasia IC Gel w/sparklets (clear jar), Fantasia Hair Polisher Solid Pomade, CON Detangling shampoo, ORS Hair Mayo (protein), Long Aid Hair Activator Gel.

-Still looking for a good moisturizing conditioner, and moisturizer.

WhipEffectz1

I prefer my hair straight, I wear it straight as much as possible. I suffered too long with the Chelsea Clinton hair when I grew up until I figured my hair out:nono::nono:

I know heat gets a bad wrap but I use it and it works for me. I think keeping it conditioned, deep conditionin and heat protectants are key.

Also, I would never let a person 'press my hair' as in at the salon. I know girls whose hair won't go back to its natural straight b/c they got it straightened too much and now its just basically dead.

I also just roll with my hair texture in the warm/humid months and don't put any heat on it.

Same here!!! I don't like knotted ends and cutting off progress on the regular!:nono: I have my own technique plus I use the chase method.

Riverwalk

Wow, I found y'all!

How do you guys keep your hair moisturized in between getting your hair flat ironed?

What moisturizers do you use (if any)?

I am really having a hard time figuring out what to do, and I think I am getting a little breakage in the process.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

remnant

Here are some great threads about straightening natural hair:

coconut & Lime - Plus Steam - Relaxer Results- PICS

Does steaming protect natural hair from humidity frizz?

Gin's Natural Pressing Tutorial:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=183877

Originally Posted by scorpian
Someone else posted this link in another thread and now I have it saved it to my favorites...Flat iron tutorial . IMO it is AWESOME
http://public.fotki.com/patchouli85/...ron-tutorial-/

Straightening my hair (HELP) (
1 2 3)

Trudy

Tips to Making Sure Your Flat Iron Does Not Singe Your Hair (
1 2 3)

longhairlover

Naturals That Press....What Have You Learned? (
1 2 3)

cocosweet

Damage hair remedy
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=35278

Heat damage?? How do i fix without cutting?

more to come

HTH

Last edited:

Transformer

My favorite moisturizer that has no equal is Mizani H2O Intense Nightime Moisturizer.

It isn't greasy and really has the moisture without being wet. It's the consistency of a light chocolate mousse!! I do seal with a combo of castor/coconut oil.

For me Castor oil is too thick and heavy(touch) plus it has a bit of a sticky feel. Coconut oil is very light and has a low melting point. The two together is great for me!

Harmony0221

I recently had my hair straighten for my springbreak professionally and it came out great and lasted 2 weeks.. BUT I had some serious sheding and semi heat damage..so I am scared to get it done perfessionally now. I think i'll just take some of the tips in this thread and work it out.has anyone tried the new dove anti frizz collection?

Riverwalk

Thanks ebonybee. I feel the same way about the castor oil (too heavy). However, where do you buy the coconut oil? At the health food store? I know when I looked they only had a huge jar of EV coconut oil. Is this the type you use?

Also, is the mizani, water based? (I am assuming not since we are dealing with pressed hair here)

Transformer

Thanks ebonybee. I feel the same way about the castor oil (too heavy). However, where do you buy the coconut oil? At the health food store? I know when I looked they only had a huge jar of EV coconut oil. Is this the type you use?

Also, is the mizani, water based? (I am assuming not since we are dealing with pressed hair here)

I purchase mine from Whole Foods! The jar is large and it cost $8.99. I think it has a bit of water. A general description is below...I don't have the container to list the actual ingredients. But what is interesting is that I hate straight shea butter...but this is good mixture for me!

A "Dermatologist Tested" night-time treatment with Shea Butter, Vitamin A Derivative, Vitamin E, Pro Vitamin B5 and patented Ceramide strengthening technology designed to increase hair strength, reduce the formation of split ends, enhance moisture retention, control dryness and frizz without weighing the hair down.

CenteredGirl

I love this thread.

As a natural (BSL) trying to get to WSL, I have laid off heat. However, recently, I have noticed that the ends on the lower back portion of my hair are "wiry". Don't get me wrong, I have been using baking soda as a wash on my hair, and overall have noticed more manageablity and softness.

This morning, I sprayed a bit of my condish mixture (water, honeyquat, NaPCA, glycerin) on my ends and smoothed them with my fingers, then I took my babybliss natural boar straightening brush, put it on low heat and smoothed ends dry.

NOW THAT MADE a BIG DIFFERENCE. They Feel amazing. I think my hair is ready for heat.

My theory is that if your hair is GOOD shape (moisturized/Conditioned) heat can be ones friend and help it to GROW.

Lucky's Mom

I love this thread.

As a natural (BSL) trying to get to WSL, I have laid off heat. However, recently, I have noticed that the ends on the lower back portion of my hair are "wiry". Don't get me wrong, I have been using baking soda as a wash on my hair, and overall have noticed more manageablity and softness.

This morning, I sprayed a bit of my condish mixture (water, honeyquat, NaPCA, glycerin) on my ends and smoothed them with my fingers, then I took my babybliss natural boar straightening brush, put it on low heat and smoothed ends dry.

NOW THAT MADE a BIG DIFFERENCE. They Feel amazing. I think my hair is ready for heat.

My theory is that if your hair is GOOD shape (moisturized/Conditioned) heat can be ones friend and help it to GROW.

Yes. I think that is right. I also think that the hype about Steam is True. It is a careful balance for each head of hair.
GREAT thread.

Riverwalk

I love this thread.

CenteredGirl, do you flat iron regularly? If so, do you find your hair still thriving? (i.e. retaining growth) I am a little worried about the whole breakage issue with using the heat every two weeks.

Also, other naturals who straighten regularly, do you find any broken hairs when combing your hair? I am beggining to think that a little breakage is inevitable (broken hairs), but I would love to never see any broken hairs at all. Is this impossible?

I have been straightening my hair back to back for about 3 months and I must say that I have seen a lot of broken hairs. My hair is pretty resilient against heat so I think some type of shedding or breakage is inevitable. I am going to lay off on the heat and try to get some more growth in.

The positive side of my recent heat usage is the fact that I can dust easier and more often. I have dealt with less tangles and my wash days are beautiful now. It had reduced the bulk of my hair- and some people may not like that- but I do.

Hi guys-i don't know if this was already covered but i hate the smoky burnt smell my hair has after it has been straightened.

Have any of you fellow naturals overcome this smell?

Transformer

Hi guys-i don't know if this was already covered but i hate the smoky burnt smell my hair has after it has been straightened.

Have any of you fellow naturals overcome this smell?

Yep! By rollersetting! You will be amazed what a non-stripping shampoo, conditioner and leave-in will do for natural hair.

I just had someone in my office call me a "liar" yesterday when in the hair discussion, I mentioned I and daughter only rollersets!

Yep! By rollersetting! You will be amazed what a non-stripping shampoo, conditioner and leave-in will do for natural hair.

I just had someone in my office call me a "liar" yesterday when in the hair discussion, I mentioned I and daughter only rollersets!

Impossible!! How?? I honestly don't see how you could get a bone straight look with just roller setting. I'm really interested in this because I am starting to realize that my hair doesn't like the blowdryer. Also, I try to stay away from putting leave-ins and other products in my hair before straightening so that I will have that natural wind blowing sexy hair. :grin:

Riverwalk

Impossible!! How?? I honestly don't see how you could get a bone straight look with just roller setting. I'm really interested in this because I am starting to realize that my hair doesn't like the blowdryer. Also, I try to stay away from putting leave-ins and other products in my hair before straightening so that I will have that natural wind blowing sexy hair. :grin:

I'd like to know this too. I hear a lot of naturals are just rollersetting. How is this done without getting it straight first?

africa

This is a great thread. Straightening my natural hair (as opposed to rollersetting/flat ironing my relaxed hair) seems like the best option for me right now....

Subscribing to this thread.

Mahalialee4

Wrapping my natural hair is best for me. It comes out as straight as if it was flat ironed and keeps my hair hidden and protected while growing it out more. I spray my wrapped hair every day without taking it down till next wash. bonjour

SVT

This my thread right heah! :grin:

I've decided to keep my hair mostly straightened for the next few months. The shedding and tangling got to me and I'm hoping this will alleviate those issues. :look:

I started the mostly straight hair styles this month.

So far so good. :up: