Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Carolina18

Wrapping my natural hair is best for me. It comes out as straight as if it was flat ironed and keeps my hair hidden and protected while growing it out more. I spray my wrapped hair every day without taking it down till next wash. bonjour

Do you rollerset it first?

ceedeelight

The only way I can get my hair bone straight is with a hot comb by a professional. Does the "hair type" have anything to do with it?

This is as straight as I can get my hair by washing, using a leave in, coconut oil, heat protectant & flat iron. By far not straight as I want it.

Attachments

• Flat Iron.jpg
    Flat Iron.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 390

Transformer

Guys,

Here it is my and daughter's routine. We are both natural...daughter is 28 and has 3 something hair. I'm 49 with kinky 4 something.

I use Aveda or Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo! Next comes Giovanni Direct.....I won't be without this one. It really helps my 4 something wrap around and stick to the magnetic rollers. We use the orange/red size but will probably have to go to larger size for daughter. She is between APL and Bra Strap length.....I'm an inch away from APL.

For the curls to stay, I must use a little setting foam. My new favorite is Jane Carter Solutions Setting Foam...I've tried a lot of them...and some will leave a whitish film on our natural hair.

Then under the Pibbs for an hour. Hair is shiny, bouncy and straight. I then use a "little" Mizani H20 Nightime or Jane Carter Nourishing Cream followed by a swipe of coconut/castor oil mixture. I never have to flat iron my daughter roots. However, occassional I do have to flat iron my roots only due to the positioning of the roller. I think this is due to the way I roll my hair. When the hairdresser does it....she doesn't have to touch my roots. However, she will do it sometime to remove the dents from the hair clamps.

I hope this helps all natural who have "straight hair dreams." I need to add, that the best step for my hair was to stop using a stripping/drying shampoo. If it has SLS.....I don't use it now...and my hair has greatly benefitted.

clever

The only way I can get my hair bone straight is with a hot comb by a professional. Does the "hair type" have anything to do with it?

This is as straight as I can get my hair by washing, using a leave in, coconut oil, heat protectant & flat iron. By far not straight as I want it.
hmm..have you tried roller setting it to get it smoother or the comb chase method?

shra1924

I'm also interested in the wrapping technique of naturals who flat iron. No matter what I do I can't get this right.:nono: I usually end up destroying whatever sleekness I had going before I wrapped. ANy suggestion??

Country gal

I'm also interested in the wrapping technique of naturals who flat iron. No matter what I do I can't get this right.:nono: I usually end up destroying whatever sleekness I had going before I wrapped. ANy suggestion??

I am not really good with wrapping. Wrapping is key to keep the silkeness of the style.

I didn't know this thread existed. I like to switch up my look. I don't want to routine my hair. Tonight I plan on roller setting instead of blowdrying it straight.

Mortons

You might not need the coconut oil and make sure your hair is properly moisturized when you flat iron it. The comb chasing method works well for me. I also know that if I an not getting my ends straight enough (they are frizzy) it may be time for a trim. Wrap it and tie it tightly with a scarf after flat ironing to help it lay down.

Guys,

Here it is my and daughter's routine. We are both natural...daughter is 28 and has 3 something hair. I'm 49 with kinky 4 something.

I use Aveda or Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo! Next comes Giovanni Direct.....I won't be without this one. It really helps my 4 something wrap around and stick to the magnetic rollers. We use the orange/red size but will probably have to go to larger size for daughter. She is between APL and Bra Strap length.....I'm an inch away from APL.

For the curls to stay, I must use a little setting foam. My new favorite is Jane Carter Solutions Setting Foam...I've tried a lot of them...and some will leave a whitish film on our natural hair.

Then under the Pibbs for an hour. Hair is shiny, bouncy and straight. I then use a "little" Mizani H20 Nightime or Jane Carter Nourishing Cream followed by a swipe of coconut/castor oil mixture. I never have to flat iron my daughter roots. However, occassional I do have to flat iron my roots only due to the positioning of the roller. I think this is due to the way I roll my hair. When the hairdresser does it....she doesn't have to touch my roots. However, she will do it sometime to remove the dents from the hair clamps.

I hope this helps all natural who have "straight hair dreams." I need to add, that the best step for my hair was to stop using a stripping/drying shampoo. If it has SLS.....I don't use it now...and my hair has greatly benefitted.

Can we have some pics please......:yep:

AtlantaJJ

Guys,

This is such Excellent Advice... I know I could do this. Now the thing is I have a GANG of shampoos with SLS's in them. I am going to bite the bullet and either sell them or give them away because I know what you are saying about SLS is true. I haven't been using them for awhile and my hair is thriving....<sigh> I need to make room anyway.

Thanks for posting this, you use the smoothing shampoo do you do a DC before using the GD? That's a leave in.

Thanks for posting.

Whimsy

i'm reading all the natural threads for inspiration.... just wanted to bump and thank everyone who posted.

Nola Darling

Its not about the texture, its the technique. Believe it or not, its all about the technique. The blowdrying is the most important part. Super DC your hair, mix in a bit of oil with your favs serum, and blow out your sectioned detangled hair with a paddle brush. The paddle brush makes ALL the differnce. Trust me! I will do a tutorial one of these days but check out my fotki in the general section. I have a link to a great tutorial there.

lilsparkle825

Subscribing :yep:
i CW'd with VO5 then DC'd with Cantu Shea Butter (afterwards I returned it and bought some cholesterol), added HE LTR leave-in and thermasilk detangler then air dried. Today when I put Silk Infusion on it and my Solia to it (first time testing it out) I had a really hard time with a few sections on my head that just didn't want to straighten...so after an hour or so I got tired and gave up. Now my roots are still wavy-ish.

I was really hoping it wasn't the flat iron and now I think it was the lack of stretching...it was 3am and I was tired so I just threw on a bonnet and called it a morning :wallbash: so next time I will either blow dry or stretch first. Not to mention I probably need to clarify.

Thanks for the tips ladies. I was starting to lose hope on transitioning with sometimes-straight hair, or ANY kind of heat.

Ebony Majesty

ok the 'chasing' method is fantastic!
Air dried my hair in 4 pony tails then flat ironed applying JF frizz ease serum
Looks like I got a relaxer
I hope it doesn't revert!

Sui Topi

sigh...I'm beefing with my hair because I cannot get it to hang while straight.its about 4.5 inches long. Today, I washed, blow dried it by streching, then following with a comb. I then flat ironed it on the first setting, and its sooo puffy...it really just looks like a fro, but its silky because of the flat iron. I'm considering buying another hair dryer and trying some of that giovanni straight line before flat ironing. I'm going to a wedding in August, and by then I would really like to have this down pat. I even tried going up to level 5 on my flat iron. I dont know....

shmmr

Its a new day - Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

I've been straightening my hair for years. With my old regimen, the damage did not come from straightening, it came from the blow drying and not detangling properly. So my ends were not split, but there were a lot of broken hairs. Then I started doing things I knew I shouldn't have - blow drying & straightening (dirty hair) during the week, going over my ends multiple times with the flat iron. I blowdried with the comb attachment - afterwards I'd have to vacuum b/c there was so much hair on the carpet. I put the flat iron on the highest setting - 410 degrees (ouch!). Interestingly enough, I never had ends that would not revert - I always get curlies.

New story - I cut 1 inch off yesterday (can't stand stragly ends) and I love it. My hair feels better when I run my fingers through it - fried/split ends do not feel good. My hair just looks like it would thank me if it could.

New regimen - I detangle with conditioner in the shower, first with my Jilbere shower comb, then with the denman brush. Sometimes I rollerset, but when I don't, I blowdry using the tension method and do not use the comb attachment (EVER again). As a matter of fact, I'm throwing them out today. I put my flatiron on 370 and go through each section/piece only one time. If I straighten, its only once a week. I'm expecting great things now that I'm not breaking off all my hair.

I've only got one old pic in my fotki, but you better believe I'm updating it today with my new cut and new regimen.

I'm just getting started on my healthy hair journey, but I know that it will work. I know this is a LONG post, but I absolutely thank you ladies for what you've taught me - to detangle w/conditioner, the tension method for blowdrying, that I can get my hair straight using less heat, pincurling, and that I can rollerset natural hair.

I LOVE you guys!
Shmmr. :drunk::love:

Kurly K

ok i straightened my hair myself last wednesday and im scared my hair wont revert back after reading sum horror stories of heat.....since i bc i have had my hair straightened twice b4 and my hair reverted but im thinking of wearing my hair straight more often so this is def a very helpful thread because i dont want to damage my newly natural hair and i love my curls but the WNG is getting old to me well at least until i gain more length. when i straightened i did it just the same as i did my relaxed hair and i got the same results im just afraid of damaging my curls :nono:

So ladies- I FINALLY took the plunge and straightened my own hair all by myself for the first time in my life!!

I didn't want to start a new thread but I thought here would be the perfect place to share. I'm actually finding that I like my hair better with the thickness and some type of body. My stylist takes all of that out with her bone straight presses. My only problem was getting the roots straight. I also find that my presses from the salon last as long as a month. My hair is still straight but my roots have reverted now and it has only been a little over a week....

How do I make my presses last longer?

ps. the pics are in my fotki :grin:

http://public.fotki.com/carribeandream/

Re: Its a new day - Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

I've been straightening my hair for years. With my old regimen, the damage did not come from straightening, it came from the blow drying and not detangling properly. So my ends were not split, but there were a lot of broken hairs. Then I started doing things I knew I shouldn't have - blow drying & straightening (dirty hair) during the week, going over my ends multiple times with the flat iron. I blowdried with the comb attachment - afterwards I'd have to vacuum b/c there was so much hair on the carpet. I put the flat iron on the highest setting - 410 degrees (ouch!). Interestingly enough, I never had ends that would not revert - I always get curlies.

New story - I cut 1 inch off yesterday (can't stand stragly ends) and I love it. My hair feels better when I run my fingers through it - fried/split ends do not feel good. My hair just looks like it would thank me if it could.

New regimen - I detangle with conditioner in the shower, first with my Jilbere shower comb, then with the denman brush. Sometimes I rollerset, but when I don't, I blowdry using the tension method and do not use the comb attachment (EVER again). As a matter of fact, I'm throwing them out today. I put my flatiron on 370 and go through each section/piece only one time. If I straighten, its only once a week. I'm expecting great things now that I'm not breaking off all my hair.

I've only got one old pic in my fotki, but you better believe I'm updating it today with my new cut and new regimen.

I'm just getting started on my healthy hair journey, but I know that it will work. I know this is a LONG post, but I absolutely thank you ladies for what you've taught me - to detangle w/conditioner, the tension method for blowdrying, that I can get my hair straight using less heat, pincurling, and that I can rollerset natural hair.

I LOVE you guys!
Shmmr. :drunk::love:

Great post!! I'm so happy for you-and I also understand what you mean about having split fried ends. (i'm experiencing that now! :sad:)
I seriously need to throw out the comb attachment. I feel like I can't get my hair straight enough unless I have the comb attachment.

Could you explain pincurling please? Sounds like it might be a helpful alternative for me...

shmmr

Re: Its a new day - Straight Hair Natural's Support Thread

Could you explain pincurling please? Sounds like it might be a helpful alternative for me...

After I straighten, I usually use the purple flexirods to give my hair some bend. I won't go over the sections an extra time with the flatiron just to get a bend. Anywho, once I have some curl (even a little ) I pincurl it. Basically I twirl the hair around my fingers to get a circle, roll it up to my head and use a bobby pin to keep it in place. I sleep overnight and then in the morning I have some curl.

here is the URL http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIyokqxVWlo
not sure if that link will work but you can also do a search on youtube : Hair Tip 101 : Pin Curling African American Hair

also to see the outcome, you can check out this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCtK9r3rfqk

Hope this helps :yep:

Last edited:

vivEz daNs lamouR

So ladies- I FINALLY took the plunge and straightened my own hair all by myself for the first time in my life!!

I didn't want to start a new thread but I thought here would be the perfect place to share. I'm actually finding that I like my hair better with the thickness and some type of body. My stylist takes all of that out with her bone straight presses. My only problem was getting the roots straight. I also find that my presses from the salon last as long as a month. My hair is still straight but my roots have reverted now and it has only been a little over a week....

How do I make my presses last longer?

ps. the pics are in my fotki :grin:

http://public.fotki.com/carribeandream/

Sabino Moisture Block. I went to DR and came back to a humid ass NYC and my hair has been maintaining the same "flat" look that I do by laying my NG down with a satin scarf. It's worth every penny.

jkamiel

It seems like there's a lack of 4b's proclaiming their successes with straightening their natural hair regularly. Am I wrong?? Where are all the 4b's at? I want to try rollersetting to straighten but i'm almost positive the result will not be straightened hair.. it'll jus be "curled" hair.

Last edited:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

Hi everyone! Smooches to you all:love5::love3: :cupidarrow: I'm transitioning (Jan 08) and I rollerset and then apply flat iron (Walmart brand...gets hot, only use at level 10) to my new growth. My hair looks like a fresh relaxer (i'm all like "Go Br*nze, get bizzy, Go Br*nze, whitcha bad self..." :spinning::yep::grin:)..until humidity strikes (or perspiration - I'm in Houston), then I'm all poofy with a hanging afro -APL- with nicely curled endz...not cute :blush: then it gets really tangled, too...:perplexed then i revert to S-curl and a ponytail...my husband (DH) is getting real impatient with my bun. I like straight hair, too...what can I do?
Maxiglide made things worse....:wallbash: i'm pickin up porosity control this weekend and a few turbans for steaming...when will the purchasing end???:ohwell: In a little while, I may have to open a salon...oh, yeah, I did yogurt treatment mixed with motions moisture plus conditioner...let's just say, i need porosity control...but my hair did seem to relax some of its curl...don't ask with type i am, cuz i don't know...maybe 4b? I really don't know...:nono: .

h-e-l-p! :feedback: i can't stand this stage...i know this too, shall pass...God got me through and over alopecia, surely this is a small thing....:rolleyes::yep::rolleyes::knight: (<<<this is me combatting the hairloss demons with my Sword of the Spirit...)