How do you keep Natural Hair Straight??

Choclatcotton

:perplexedI have been Trying my hardest to press my natural 4a fine but thick hair straight after a long stint of braid outs , twists and gel. I do a hard press and it still kinks up after 1 day. I tried the Maxiglide but it kinked back up. Its as if it is no longer trained to be straight anymore. Annnnnnnnnny suggestions??????

Last edited:

SleepyJean

I have been Trying my hardest to press my natural 4a fine but thick hair straight after a long stint of braid outs , twists and gel. I do a hard press and it still kinks up after 1 day. I tried the Maxiglide but it kinked back up. Its as if it is no longer trained to be straight anymore. Annnnnnnnnny suggestions??????

If your hair is naturally curly, I don't know if it possible, without using some form of heat 26 times a years. My mom has had a press 99% of the time I've known her. I've seen her struggles.

Dak

What's working for me is Aveda USC and the Brilliant heat protection (along with the damage control shampoo & conditioner).

I braid or twist my hair at night, adding TooShea butter to the ends. I don't get stick straight hair, my hair has a lot of volume, but as long as I oil it and don't expose it to too much humidity, it stays straight and not frizzy.

MissFallon

I would like to know as well because I plan on wearing my hair straight when I get to APL. So far nothing has worked.

ichephren

what is your pressing routine...products, process, etc.? if your hair is stick straight when you're done with a press, you might want to invest in silicones to prevent the hair from soaking up humidity or aveda's anti-humectant pomade which works really well. another thing might be that the products you use before pressing contain humectants like glycerin and attract moisture to your hair.

Choclatcotton

I shampoo and use cond mixed w olive oil. I also post treat my scalp with ACV which also helps detangle and prevent dandruff. I press with dudleys cream press.

meaganita

:perplexedI have been Trying my hardest to press my natural 4a fine but thick hair straight after a long stint of braid outs , twists and gel. I do a hard press and it still kinks up after 1 day. I tried the Maxiglide but it kinked back up. Its as if it is no longer trained to be straight anymore. Annnnnnnnnny suggestions??????
I have 4aFi natural hair too. If it's not pressed/flat ironed right, it will poof back up within 30 minutes.:perplexed But, my stylist gets my hair bone straight every time (which I don't like), and it will last at least 2 weeks. Here's what she taught me works best for my hair:

1.) Good moisterizing deep conditioner (ones w/silicones help a lot)

2.) Blowdry hair very well (avoid high heat if possible)

3.) Hair should be clean w/very little or no product, or the hair will be weighed down. If using a serum, I recommend Paul Mitchell Super Skinny (works for me) applied to damp hair prior to blow drying. It will help get the hair straighter, faster, using less heat when you blowdry. It will also help your press get straighter. Again, works best when applied to damp hair.

4.) Flat iron hair starting from nape to hairline in small sections no bigger than half an inch thick. Start as close to the scalp as possible w/out burning of course.:)

5.) While flat ironing/pressing, apply strong, firm pressure to the plates/handle as you pull it through from the root to the ends of your hair. Again, pressure applied to hair with straightening tool should be firm, to the point where you feel a slight (painless) pull or tug as you glide it through the ends of your hair. Using two hands helps when you're first starting out.

6.) When done, apply a dime sized amount of your favorite anti-humectant or shine serum to the hair (optional).

ETA: Hair must be wrapped every night in a silk/satin scarf or du-rag.

I've found that one of the most important things is using quality products (poo, con, straightener, etc.) and making sure the hair is clean and well conditioned prior to straightening.

I know it seems like a lot. But it's really pretty simple once you put it into motion. In time, with plenty of practice, straightening the hair gets easier and easier...so I've heard.:lol:

HTH

Last edited:

glamazon386

As long as I wear a shower cap in the shower mines stays straight for almost 3 weeks. My stylist doesn't use any products on it when he blow dries and flat irons it.