Straightening my hair (HELP)

blazingthru

okay its a little long but I always write like this anyway.

I am so sad, frustrated and discouraged. I love being natural. I really do but I want to see my length now. Its impossible. Impossible for me to achieve this. I have purchased four flat irons(four) I miss the MP maxiglide sale so thats out. Couldn't find a Chi at the store so I brought Jilbere 49.99(didn't work) Hot&Sassy49.99 (didn't work) Gold and Hot 75.00(didn't work) Revelon 35.00(didn't work). My hair texture is 3b, 3c, maybe 4a on the sides. I tried everything and nothing got my hair straight. The Jilbere made my hair smell. that is a turn off to me. Two years of wonderful smelling hair and then that burnt smell I can't do it. What the heck is wrong with my hair. Is it possible for me to get my hair straight without that burning smell and it last, I don't care if it only last two or three days I just want it straight long enough to post my before picture in my newest challenge. I can't even do that. I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that its possible for others but not me. Plus I want to do it myself. No I don't want to pay 50 dollars for something I can wash out in a day. That upsets me. I use heat protectants. IC ( the pink) I use gosh cant' think of the name the white and black bottle they make that mango stuff whatever I use that and I have other stuff but this time I just use the IC and nothing worked. I had a trim so that shouldn't be a factor. the only part of my hair that gets straight fast is my front bang. It shouldn't it doesnt' even curl up it just pretty much hangs there. I can't even twist it around my finger and get a curl. Help. I am trying to wait out this Maxi glide thing but afraid to pay for it and it doesn't work either.

blazingthru

I wash my hair deep condition and then blow dry it out. I section it off after I have sprayed a little leave in wait for it to dry and added some IC straightner. I part in small sections and use the flat iron. I go slowly (when I was relaxed I was a pro at this and I didn't use heat protectant on purpose but Design Essentials makes this silk stuff that made my hair so pretty I would use that each time I did it) and release at the ends. Horrible frizzy hair. I repeat this process three or four times, same results. I even turn the heat up and I guess after several times the protectant will burn and then it would smell. I would try this on several spots all to no avail.

scorpian

okay its a little long but I always write like this anyway.

I am so sad, frustrated and discouraged. I love being natural. I really do but I want to see my length now. Its impossible. Impossible for me to achieve this. I have purchased four flat irons(four) I miss the MP maxiglide sale so thats out. Couldn't find a Chi at the store so I brought Jilbere 49.99(didn't work) Hot&Sassy49.99 (didn't work) Gold and Hot 75.00(didn't work) Revelon 35.00(didn't work). My hair texture is 3b, 3c, maybe 4a on the sides. I tried everything and nothing got my hair straight. The Jilbere made my hair smell. that is a turn off to me. Two years of wonderful smelling hair and then that burnt smell I can't do it. What the heck is wrong with my hair. Is it possible for me to get my hair straight without that burning smell and it last, I don't care if it only last two or three days I just want it straight long enough to post my before picture in my newest challenge. I can't even do that. I guess I have to resign myself to the fact that its possible for others but not me. Plus I want to do it myself. No I don't want to pay 50 dollars for something I can wash out in a day. That upsets me. I use heat protectants. IC ( the pink) I use gosh cant' think of the name the white and black bottle they make that mango stuff whatever I use that and I have other stuff but this time I just use the IC and nothing worked. I had a trim so that shouldn't be a factor. the only part of my hair that gets straight fast is my front bang. It shouldn't it doesnt' even curl up it just pretty much hangs there. I can't even twist it around my finger and get a curl. Help. I am trying to wait out this Maxi glide thing but afraid to pay for it and it doesn't work either.

Someone else posted this link in another thread and now I have it saved it to my favorites...Flat iron tutorial . IMO it is AWESOME
http://public.fotki.com/patchouli85/...ron-tutorial-/

Last edited:

scorpian

Your Welcome ladies but I have to give credit to the person who posted the link to the tutorial in the Chi thread Always~Wear~Joy

lovelymissyoli

Hey this is really great. of course it will cost me a few hundred dollars but I think I am going to invest in this thanks so much.

ITA!! It would be worth the investment...down to that $150 CHI blow dryer! I think the cost of buying all of the CHI items outweighs how much it would cost to get your hair done at the salon...and to have to keep going back.

glamazon386

IMO, it's more about the technique than the flat iron itself. My hairdresser uses a regular ceramic flat iron. It's not a name brand and it gets my hair straight.

Another thing, you might have to nix that fantasia serum. For whatever reason serum makes my hair puffy. It's like it blocks the heat out (I guess that's what it supposed to do) but a side effect is that it doesn't allow my hair to get all the way straight. I don't use serums for this reason.

Mortons

IMO, it's more about the technique than the flat iron itself. My hairdresser uses a regular ceramic flat iron. It's not a name brand and it gets my hair straight.

Another thing, you might have to nix that fantasia serum. For whatever reason serum makes my hair puffy. It's like it blocks the heat out (I guess that's what it supposed to do) but a side effect is that it doesn't allow my hair to get all the way straight. I don't use serums for this reason.

I agree with this. I use a spray heat protectant.

Also, when you blowdry, get it as straight as possible. This will help the hair be smoother during the flatironing process and will get the straight results regardless of the type of flat iron.

blazingthru

Yes I agree perhaps this was the culprit. I am pissed about it since I Just spent 9 dollars for it. I am hoping I can return it to Sallys with the flat iron

Bint Yusef

Sounds like we have a similar hair texture, and I have found that blow drying my hair before flat ironing is a huge mistake. I was not getting nice sleek straight swinging hair. I have found that rollersetting first works best, also product makes a huge difference. Chi Silk infusion was working good, but it was still too heavy for my strands, now I am using the Biosilk Silk Therapy and its a home run.

blazingthru

Sounds like we have a similar hair texture, and I have found that blow drying my hair before flat ironing is a huge mistake. I was not getting nice sleek straight swinging hair. I have found that rollersetting first works best, also product makes a huge difference. Chi Silk infusion was working good, but it was still too heavy for my strands, now I am using the Biosilk Silk Therapy and its a home run.
Well I brought the CHI and it worked good but my hair was a mess, I had to trim so much off. I am so disappointed because I just trimmed it in January and of course next month it will be two years and I am back to shoulder length and I can still see split ends in the front. lots of them. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. getting my hair straight only lead to another problem. I am so tempted to BC and I would hate to do that all over again. This is why I hate to get trims. If you can't figure out what you were doing that damage your hair - you'll just do it all over again without knowing. this time your hair will be shorter and remain shorter. I went to a stylist she trimmed my hair and put a weave in. She didn't do a good job with the weave but its okay we can fix it its not a problem but she did braid my hair down well and she used olive oil and so that was a plus. I am just worried about the scissors. I felt this chopping motion going on and thinking and hoping and praying her scissors were not dull- I had great scissors didn't use mine. next time I will be I fear my hair is more damage then I originally thought after this scissor fiasco. Oh MY Gosh I am so depressed about my hair. so depressed.

Neish222

I agree with the other ladies its all about the technique.
Try working with the products you already have first...before dishing out the cash for something new...I did this and got the same results because my technique was wrong.
I have thick coarse 4b texturized/texlaxed hair. I've discovered that blowdrying all my hair at once without sectioning is a no.

Here's my techinque:

1.Start off with washed, deep conditioned, detangled hair. Then section your hair from forehead to nape. You should have two halves. Next very lightly add your leave-In. I suggest a liquidy leave-in that won't weigh your hair down. 4 to 5 sprays on each half at the most. I have very thick 4b and I have a better flat iron if I use less products on my hair. Next add you heat protectant....I used a small amount of Keracare cream press. I use a dime size for each half focusing on placing the cream press on the last 3 inches of my hair.

2. At this point, I have two damp ponytails on each side on my head. I then wrap my ends around the ponytail make a bun...I secure with another hair scrunchie. Before using my blowdryer on a warm setting, I dry my hair to 60% -70% dry on my cool setting. I am not using any attachment and my hair is still in two ponytail/buns. I am simply running the dryer on my two mini buns. I created bun because I don't want my end to completely curl back up. Or you can airdry 60%-70%.

3. Then with one side of the hair banded and out of the way, take the loose side and section the hair horizontally in 1/4 sections...I know this maybe small but if I do 1 or 1/2 inch the sections my hair will be too thick for me to use my blowdry attachment without breakage. I detangle with my detangling brush and proceed to drying that section of hair. I blowdry with a comb attachment on a warm setting. I focus on getting my ends straight. While using the attachment I blowdry in a pick motions; pulling that attachment out when I feel a tangle..then continuing this motion until I can gently get the attachment through my hair. I dont used the attachment to pull through my roots because it causes me breakage midshaft or at the demaraction line. I simply dry my roots by blowing the dryer over them.

4. I blowdry from nape to forehead on each side. Once I have dryed both sides. I have two ponytail of blown hair. Detangle each side. I am not good a flat-ironing my newgrowth straight so I use my electric ceramic pressing comb...for the newgrowth ONLY...my flat iron can do the rest. I take one half and proceed to press newgrowth. (Note: still using the 1/4 inch sections from nape to forehead). Once I am done with each side, I proceed to flat-ironing.

5. For flat-ironing, I used to think that using the highest setting would make my hair straight but I would still end up with straight hair and frizzy ends. Now I use the recommend amount for my hair texture(Based on the manfacture or from trial and error....if you have to make more than 2-3 passes with your flat-iron you may need to turn it up...if you making only one swift pass with your flat iron and smell burning products you may need to turn your flat-iron down). I part my hair 1/4 inch long/1 inch wide sections and hold that section of hair very firmly while at the same time gently pressing the flat-iron through my hair. I like this technique because when I just press the flat-iron together without strecthing the hair I am only flattening my frizz and not straighten it. Some people like to just press on the flat-iron plates firmly while allowing it to pass through their hair.

Everyone has different techniques and do's or don't. I just wanted to share my technique with you. Hope this helps.

Nola Darling

Well I brought the CHI and it worked good but my hair was a mess, I had to trim so much off. I am so disappointed because I just trimmed it in January and of course next month it will be two years and I am back to shoulder length and I can still see split ends in the front. lots of them. I can't figure out what I am doing wrong. getting my hair straight only lead to another problem. I am so tempted to BC and I would hate to do that all over again. This is why I hate to get trims. If you can't figure out what you were doing that damage your hair - you'll just do it all over again without knowing. this time your hair will be shorter and remain shorter. I went to a stylist she trimmed my hair and put a weave in. She didn't do a good job with the weave but its okay we can fix it its not a problem but she did braid my hair down well and she used olive oil and so that was a plus. I am just worried about the scissors. I felt this chopping motion going on and thinking and hoping and praying her scissors were not dull- I had great scissors didn't use mine. next time I will be I fear my hair is more damage then I originally thought after this scissor fiasco. Oh MY Gosh I am so depressed about my hair. so depressed.

Please don't be depressed about your hair. It looks so pretty in your siggy! I think it just takes trial and error to figure out what works for you. Maybe you should give roller setting a chance if you have a dryer like OAHQ suggested. It works better for me than a blow dryer when it comes to protecting my ends.