Tips to Making Sure Your Flat Iron Does Not Singe Your Hair

longhairlover

Hey Ladies,

I had found a tip on making sure your flat iron is not on too high a level that would cause damage and burning of your hair. You probably know about this already, but I just thought I'd post it.

1. of course turn on your flat iron
2. use an end paper and wet it
3. place the end paper in between your flat iron

Now if the flat iron is too hot the end paper will either turn yellow or make that burning sound.

If this happens....

That means you need to turn your flat iron down to the next lower level. Keep doing this test until your end paper dries between the flat iron clear with no yellow coloration.

Also imo it's best to have a flat iron with a temperature dial so that you at least have the option of adjusting the temperature to a safe setting.

Also every now and then clean your flat iron with a cotton ball and alcohol to keep it clean.

Happy Flat Ironing!

Last edited:

WriterGirl

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm a reforming sizzle-burn flat iron user. I have a dial and I try not to get higher than 330--but maybe that's still too hot.

I'll have to try this method to check and make sure.

longhairlover

wow 330! I am using a jilbere porcelain flat iron it goes up to 30 I'm not sure what 30 means but it's really hot so I stick to 20-25 it's still hot but it's a safe temperature and my hair is not left smoking afterwards lol!

Thanks so much for posting this. I'm a reforming sizzle-burn flat iron user. I have a dial and I try not to get higher than 330--but maybe that's still too hot.

I'll have to try this method to check and make sure.

longhairlover

no problem I found this somewhere on the net, I tried it, my flat iron gets hot and when I did this test at the 30 mark on the flat iron it was smoking too much so I know not to use that temperature at all.

Thanks for the very helpful tips! I´ve never heard of these before...

WriterGirl

wow 330! I am using a jilbere porcelain flat iron it goes up to 30 I'm not sure what 30 means but it's really hot so I stick to 20-25 it's still hot but it's a safe temperature and my hair is not left smoking afterwards lol!

Oops! It's the temp control not the dial. LOL... 330 degrees. I use a FHI Platform. I'm going to try this test today. Something tells me that it may be still too hot.

Ivonnovi

Megga dittos on the tips.
Also to clean your irons, (and get rid of any "burned (whatever) smell"

1. Make a sticky paste of baking soada and water.
  2. Rub in onto the irons/curling wands and let it almost dry.
  3. Rub off with a dry cloth and your tools will sparkle like new. :grin:

WriterGirl

Okay, so I tried the test on my FHI Platform.

It hissed at 470 degrees (duh) but didn't turn yellow but smelled scored, so then I turned it down to 400 and it didn't yellow either, but did get some steam and that same burn smell. At 370, got some steam but no burn smell, and at 330 I got less steam and no burn smell.

HoneyDew

I saw something similar to this before and I am not sure I quite believe it is a true test for me. I cannot see how my dry hair with silicone on it compares to a wet piece of tissuse paper.

longhairlover

you have a hot iron there :)

So which temperature are you going to use?

Okay, so I tried the test on my FHI Platform.

It hissed at 470 degrees (duh) but didn't turn yellow but smelled scored, so then I turned it down to 400 and it didn't yellow either, but did get some steam and that same burn smell. At 370, got some steam but no burn smell, and at 330 I got less steam and no burn smell.

longhairlover

It just lets you know if your flat iron is toooo hot. A lot of times we use our flat irons on high heats. if the iron is sizzling on the end paper then that's exactly what it's doing to your hair sizzling it whether you have heat protectant or not on your strands, of course my hair doesn't sizzle like with the paper test. But there have been times when my hair was smoking after I used the iron because it was on too high.

I saw something similar to this before and I am not sure I quite believe it is a true test for me. I cannot see how my dry hair with silicone on it compares to a wet piece of tissuse paper.

Another cleaning method for when I used my flat iron and curlers dang near daily...

If you self-touch up/relaxer; use that left over perm (I never use all of it) and while the tool is hot get a wad of paper towel and dab it in the perm and wipe off the tool. The relaxer's chemicals will eat up any burnt product residue and make it look brand new! It just sizzles in to oblivion! :drunk:

Misseyl

Hey Ladies,

I had found a tip on making sure your flat iron is not on too high a level that would cause damage and burning of your hair. You probably know about this already, but I just thought I'd post it.

1. of course turn on your flat iron
2. use an end paper and wet it
3. place the end paper in between your flat iron

Now if the flat iron is too hot the end paper will either turn yellow or make that burning sound.

If this happens....

That means you need to turn your flat iron down to the next lower level. Keep doing this test until your end paper dries between the flat iron clear with no yellow coloration.

Also imo it's best to have a flat iron with a temperature dial so that you at least have the option of adjusting the temperature to a safe setting.

Also every now and then clean your flat iron with a cotton ball and alcohol to keep it clean.

Happy Flat Ironing!

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely use this the next time I flatiron

gone_fishing

I would think this probably has something to do with the type of products being used on the hair as well. What products should you NOT use to flat iron your hair?

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I have the Jilbere ceramic tools porcelain series flat iron as well and kept the box. On the box, it shows this temperature chart for each setting:

Setting 30: 446 Fahrenheit / 230 Celsius
Setting 23: 419 Fahrenheit / 215 Celsius
Setting 17: 392 Fahrenheit / 200 Celsius
Setting 11: 365 Fahrenheit / 185 Celsius
Setting 5: 338 Fahrenheit / 170 Celsius

When I used to use this flat iron, I would put it on 25. 30 was definitely too hot for my hair.

I now use an electric pressing comb on 400 degrees Fahrenheit if I want to straighten my hair. It leaves my hair softer and not stiff. For some reason, flat irons make my hair kinda stiff and they smash my hair strands rather than straighten it out.

esoterica

I have the Jilbere ceramic tools porcelain series flat iron as well and kept the box. On the box, it shows this temperature chart for each setting:

Setting 30: 446 Fahrenheit / 230 Celsius
Setting 23: 419 Fahrenheit / 215 Celsius
Setting 17: 392 Fahrenheit / 200 Celsius
Setting 11: 365 Fahrenheit / 185 Celsius
Setting 5: 338 Fahrenheit / 170 Celsius

When I used to use this flat iron, I would put it on 25. 30 was definitely too hot for my hair.

I now use an electric pressing comb on 400 degrees Fahrenheit if I want to straighten my hair. It leaves my hair softer and not stiff. For some reason, flat irons make my hair kinda stiff and they smash my hair strands rather than straighten it out.
Thanks for this info! I use my iron at 210 celcius, which looks like about 400F. I don't see how my hair would get straight otherwise.

esoterica

Megga dittos on the tips.
Also to clean your irons, (and get rid of any "burned (whatever) smell"
  1. Make a sticky paste of baking soada and water.
  2. Rub in onto the irons/curling wands and let it almost dry.
  3. Rub off with a dry cloth and your tools will sparkle like new. :grin:
This is good to know! Wish I would have seen this somewhere 3 years ago.

longhairlover

Thanks for posting this, I don't use a FHI or a CHI but my temperatures do go up to 30, I try to now stick between 20-25 I did this test on my flat iron and at 30 it was smoking a bit, I don't want that type of heat on my hair whether or not i'm stretching.

So even with stretching i'm using 20-25 just to be safe and to keep my hair lol!!!!

Thanks for this info! I use my iron at 210 celcius, which looks like about 400F. I don't see how my hair would get straight otherwise.

longhairlover

In the siggy that is the result of new products i'm testing out. I have started the beginning stages of selling dominican products online but still looking for the perfect hosting site for the right price.

In the siggy that was my first time using Crystal de Sabila rinse and shampoo, this product is suppose to bring shine, softness and life to dull hair. After I used the shampoo and rinse I used for the first time also toque magico emergencia spray for blow drying.

I then blew my hair out and immediately saw the shine and softness that both the shampoo and rinse say it causes and also the emergencia spray promotes. The emergencia spray made my hair feel like silk and so smooth, in the siggy you would think my ends are perfect and that I don't have a strand out of place.
I flat ironed the hair also then wrapped what you see in the siggy is the next day after I wrapped the hair up

So my conclusion is that the shampoo, rinse leave in spray for blowdrying and lotta body temporary straghtening cream worked very very well together.

I am always trying out new products so keep a look out for my threads showing results.

OT: Longhairlover, how on earth did you get your hair so silky looking and blinging in your siggy???? BEAUTIFUL!!!!

longhairlover

no problem I must admit that the there are times I put my flat iron on too hot and the end result is my hair smoking lol!!! but I know ladies there are times when we don't want to perm and you kind of need a lot of heat to get the hair straight, but it's best not to do it,

You are very welcome. I wish I'd have known about this years ago too!

Ivonnovi

Bumping for the "cleaning tips".
My flatirons are starting to smell and need cleaning ASAP!!.....unforutnately I forgot the cleaning method and had to look it up again.

Color Waters

Hi There,

Please share your flat iron regimen. What's your hair type? Are you a natural? What products do you use? Are you successful at achieving a smooth silky look?

Thanks