Naturals That Press....What Have You Learned?

cocosweet

This is a spin off of the Naturals That Press thread. Here's what I have learned over the years from my adventures in hair straightening:

• In order for it to look laid without frizzy ends, my tight curls require a hard press.
  • My hair hasn't met an anti-humectant it can't mock. I'm still searching.
  • My hair is not interested in holding a curl, so I need to retire my curling iron and stick with steam rollers. The curls I put in today at noon will be gone by 4. Trust.
  • Marcel wax in addition to feeling gooey on my hair does not prevent reversion.
What have you learned?

MissMeWithThatIsh

PREACH!!!

I've learned that I must thoroughly detangle and carefully not continue to go over hair for fear fo both breaking, burning and drying it out!

Nola Darling

-The less product the better!
-Back away from the grease!!
-Don't iron over ironed hair. It I want to get rid of the poof I put on some moisturiser and tie it down again. And if it's still poofy, oh well:grin: Dolly says, the higher the hair, the closer to Jesus!

Twisties

Press in the winter (fighting reversion from heat and sweating during warmer months is too much):yep:.

Wear it curly styled so when it starts to "pouff" you won't have to battle "poufiness" by going back over it over and over it with the flat iron or pressing comb trying to keep it super straight every other day.:yep:

Be very careful of the level of heat or you can singe/burn out a section of hair in less than 30 seconds flat:look:.

PinkSkates

I've learned that:
1. My hair does so much better being pressed straight instead of applying a relaxer to it.
2. My hair loves Aveda products; and the Aveda Anti-humectant was sent to me by my guardian angel. It really prevents my hair from reverting.
3. Living in a climate that has very little humidity is a major factor to making my pressed hair stay straight!
4. Applying Aveda USC to my ends only keep them strong and smooth.
5. A combination of the right amount of Aveda product and my skills with my hot comb gives my hair swang and body like a clear girl's hair!:lachen:

meaganita

Just because you press doesn't mean you're not really natural.

Pressed natural hair can get just as straight as pressed relaxed hair.

Wearing hair straight more often can lead to less single strand knots.

Just because your hair is natural...doesn't mean it's healthy.;)

If you'd like to keep your curl pattern and cuticle in tact, be easy with the heat.

Too much heat isn't good for anyone's hair.

angellazette

My hair is not interested in holding a curl, so I need to retire my curling iron and stick with steam rollers. The curls I put in today at noon will be gone by 4. Trust.

OMG I am havin this same problem. I pressed my hair with a flat iron and my hair will NOT hold a freaking curl. Atleast not one made with a flat iron so now I'm trying out my steam rollers to set the curl, and then pin curl. I'm sure a curling iron would work but I wanted to avoid using that. If the steam rollers and pin curls don't work, then I'll try bantu knots. If THAT doesn't then I'm twisting this mess up!

BrownSkin2

Great thread...

What I've learned:
-My hair needs a hard press to get and stay straight.
-Use heat with a temperature setting to avoid damage.
-It's good to switch it up occasionally with heat.

caligirl

1. Running on the treadmill everyday and pressed hair don't go together
2. Vonte Silk Effects is a great anti-humectant.

velvet

1. Great for the winter months. Don't have to leave the house with a wet head.
2. Hard presses are key for my poofy hair texture. I achieve them with Kera care curling wax.
3. I shed less when I press. Low manipulation.
4. I oil every time I brush. Combats dryness and adds shine.
5. It doesn't have to take more than 30 mins.

pet

Miss Fallon: Here are some tips:

(1) When you wash your hair, before you airdry or blowdry put a dab of pressing oil all over your head. That way when the hair dries some of the pressing oil has dried into the hair.

(2) If you can, wash and braid your hair, and press the next day. Usually when your hair "breathes" for a night it seems to press better the next day. (From my experience).

(3) Test the hotcomb before putting it in your hair. Start at the nape of your neck, and when you put the comb in immediately tilt it so the back of the comb is on the hair, and slide down slowly to the ends of hair. Two passes should do it. Then part the next section. Your sections should not be two small or too big. Also, use a fine tooth pressing comb (detangle first with a wide tooth comb).

(4) What really taught me the technique is flat ironing my hair for a couple of times to get the hand motions. Then when I was ready to use a hotcomb I wasn't so scared of the comb.

HTH!

pet

I forgot to put what I have learned:

(1) Pressing the hair every two weeks isn't so bad. I agree that too much heat is not good, but it depends on how you use it.

(2) Wrapping the hair at night helps the hair not to revert.

(3) A good pressing oil/creme makes all of the difference.

(4) If you want your hair to swing, put rollers in it overnight, then wrap the hair next day for 30 min to an hour, and BAM....you have something looking like a rollerset...lol

(5) If your hair starts to revert but it's not wash day as yet, use Macherieamour's saran wrap treatment. You can also do this to keep the hair moisturized. This also saves time from oiling or greasing the scalp.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
  1. I need to remove all the product from my protective styles before I press. Clean hair presses better for me.
  2. Once the press has run its course, meaning time to wash, Aphogee treatment AFTER the press fortifies my hair.
  3. A small tooth pressing comb is great for the edges.
  4. A heavy pressing comb is great to get my hair straight.
  5. A dab of Vitapoint after blow drying, but before the press, gives a beautiful silky finish.

SVT

i know this may sound dumb but how do you keep your hair moisturize when its pressed?

I keep the ends moisturized/treated not the scalp. Scalp treatments, if needed, happen at wash time which is weekly.

For the ends, I like to use Aubrey GPB and coconut oil. Sometimes I'll switch out the GPB and use a moisturizing conditioner instead. I use a small amount so the reversion is not an issue.

Last edited:

aja1121

1. A good blow dry and flat iron on clean hair gets my hair straighter than a relaxer ever did.

2. Try not to go beyond 384 F

3. Wrapping reinforces the straightening

4. Moisturizing ends (with a cream) and deep conditioning is crucial

5. Treat your hair like silk, be gentle and patient

6. Stimulating scalp oils/growth aids help with reversion at the root from sweating

7. Cold rinses help seal the benefits of my treatments

8. A comb attachment on a blow dryer will not straighten your ends well enough to run the flat iron through (4a/b)

aja1121

Good question, I would like to know as well.

I use a pea to dime-size amount of Phyto 7 or 9 Daily Hydrating Hair Creams. Sometimes I use ORS Carrot Oil (cream). Yes they are all water-based, but with that amount right before a tight wrap doesn't cause any reversion on my hair. Moderation is key!

velvet

I use African Hot Six Oils before I go to bed at night, and when styling in the morning.

I also wash my hair once a week when I press, otherwise it will eventually dry out and start to break.

brownsugarflyygirl

Just because you press doesn't mean you're not really natural.

Pressed natural hair can get just as straight as pressed relaxed hair.

Wearing hair straight more often can lead to less single strand knots.

Just because your hair is natural...doesn't mean it's healthy.;)

If you'd like to keep your curl pattern and cuticle in tact, be easy with the heat.

Too much heat isn't good for anyone's hair.

Tell it girl!! I totally agree!! :yep: I would like to add:

Heat protectant, heat protectant, heat protectant!!

No matter how much of the above....you are going to end up with some heat stretched strands...its just part of the process. :ohwell:

Presses last longer when done by my stylist and not me...

Carrying my satin bonnet with me at all times to ward off the presence of humidity is a must.

That is all for now :grin: