I'm a Henna Head!

nzeee

nzeee Well, I originally decided on the cassia mix to temper the burgundy cast (I wanted more of a coppery auburn cast and was going by the color combination chart on the Henna for Hair website) that prolonged use can cause. Now that I'm more concerned with the strengthening effects, I just stuck with the idea so I could stretch my henna, lol.

But you say using cassia will lessen the benefits of the henna? I thought it was supposed to have essentially the same effect, just without the color? Are there any distinct differences between the two?

nubiennze: i want to avoid confusion so i'll be careful how i phrase this... Cassia is not just the same as Henna except w/out colour... Cassia has great conditioning properties, but it is much less intense than henna. Henna gives you intense long lasting conditioning and strengthening. Cassia's effects are not only less intense but they don't last as long.

So by cutting your henna mix w/ Cassia you are not 'lessening the benefits of the Henna' itself. they don't counteract each other. i meant to say that the overall effect will be less because you are using less Henna; Cassia is not as strong as Henna so the final impact will not be as strong.

is that more clear? if not, here's what CN has to say about it (i will likely quote her a lot cuz as i said she was my inspiration for trying henna and i could see from naturally curly archives that she really looked into it a lot before trying. also she primarily uses BAQ and quotes liberally from Henna for hair :look:)

CASSIA VS HENNA FROM CN
http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/03/faq_07.html
Cassia is similar to henna...although it's a different plant altogether, it has some of the same conditioning effects, sans [red] color. Like henna, cassia strengthens the hair shaft, improves overall health, and adds lots of shine. It doesn't, however, reduce shrinkage or drastically thicken the hair up. It's effects are far more fleeting- lasting at the most 1-2 weeks.​

nzeee

nzeee - I'm doing it to improve the health of my hair and help with breakage. I will increase my henna treatments. :D

YASSSS!!! :grin: more is always better.

and as Catherine HennaforHair is fond of saying: Henna is good for you and your hair, and you can use it as often as you like!

nubiennze

nzeee I gotcha. It's a "dilution" in essence. Now that you mention it, I remember reading this about cassia when I was actively researching, but it's been a while and I'm just revisiting it.

:scratchch Come to think of it, I've also been a little apprehensive about curl loosening--I was basically holding my breath and praying the s-waves in my crown would survive, lol--so maybe diminishing that with cassia wouldn't be such a bad thing. I know amla is also supposed to help with this, but I didn't want to include it in my henna mix because I didn't want the darkening effect (though this may change since I'm no longer as concerned about color). Any opinions on whether amla helps preserve curl pattern separate from the henna application (e.g. beforehand in a mask/prepoo)? Would amla in place of cassia in the henna mix also "dilute" the effects of the henna?

I'll check out CN to see what she has to say as well. Thanks for answering all my pesky questions! :grin:

nzeee

nzeee I gotcha. It's a "dilution" in essence. Now that you mention it, I remember reading this about cassia when I was actively researching, but it's been a while and I'm just revisiting it.

:scratchch Come to think of it, I've also been a little apprehensive about curl loosening--I was basically holding my breath and praying the s-waves in my crown would survive, lol--so maybe diminishing that with cassia wouldn't be such a bad thing. I know amla is also supposed to help with this, but I didn't want to include it in my henna mix because I didn't want the darkening effect (though this may change since I'm no longer as concerned about color). Any opinions on whether amla helps preserve curl pattern separate from the henna application (e.g. beforehand in a mask/prepoo)? Would amla in place of cassia in the henna mix also "dilute" the effects of the henna?

I'll check out CN to see what she has to say as well. Thanks for answering all my pesky questions! :grin:

nubiennze no trouble at all. i have nothing to do so i am totally at your beck and call (i'm travelling tomorrow and i'm of course procrastinating on LHCF; i haven't packed even one thing :look:)

LOL @ the first bolded. you said in a word what i couldn't say in two paragraphs :lol:

re: using Amla separate from your Henna mix, why not? it can be treated like the other ayurvedic oils/powders. consider this:

Benefits of Amla Powder for Hair
Amla is a natural hair conditioner. Washing hair with Amla makes it shine
Amla stimulates the hair follicles
Amla powder is very beneficial in stopping hair loss.
Amla powder prevents hair from graying prematurely
Amla powder prevents dandruff
*no one but sites catering to us refer to curl preservation... i don't think it's a big concern for the majority of asian women ;)

Application of Amla Powder for hair
Mix the amla powder with water to make a paste. Gently apply to hair & scalp and massage gently. Leave it in for 30 minutes to 1 hour & rinse off with water. Mix the amla powder with Shikakai powder and Henna powder for even better results.

btw: i am more interested in brown rather than red so i don't mind adding amla to henna mixes. i've never done it myself tho. i have Nupur henna (itching to use it) and it has alla that mixed in so i'm not really gonna think about ratios... what i can say tho is that if i were to mix it i wouldn't reduce my henna... no need really. just add the amla to your regular henna amt.

Last edited:

star78

I'm about to buy henna for the first time. I'm going to buy the Indigo too and do the two step process. If the black color is achieved, am I stuck with it until it grows out? Is there a natural way to remove the color (if I get tired of it) and have my hair return back to its original color?

Last edited:

leiah

Amla has never had any effect on my hair at all. I tried using it alone and with henna - lots of different brands and sources and it just does nothing for me.

I don't think that henna necessarily loosens your curl, but I think that the bulk of it weighs your hair down and stretches it a little bit. My hair feels thicker for the first week or so after I henna but that eventually wears off

nubiennze

nzeee Thanks! I think I'll give the full strength henna/amla mix a go and save the cassia for glosses between sessions. Now I'll leave you alone so you can pack. :lol:

nubiennze no trouble at all. i have nothing to do so i am totally at your beck and call (i'm travelling tomorrow and i'm of course procrastinating on LHCF; i haven't packed even one thing :look:)

LOL @ the first bolded. you said in a word what i couldn't say in two paragraphs :lol:

re: using Amla separate from your Henna mix, why not? it can be treated like the other ayurvedic oils/powders. consider this:

Benefits of Amla Powder for Hair
Amla is a natural hair conditioner. Washing hair with Amla makes it shine
Amla stimulates the hair follicles
Amla powder is very beneficial in stopping hair loss.
Amla powder prevents hair from graying prematurely
Amla powder prevents dandruff
*no one but sites catering to us refer to curl preservation... i don't think it's a big concern for the majority of asian women ;)

Application of Amla Powder for hair
Mix the amla powder with water to make a paste. Gently apply to hair & scalp and massage gently. Leave it in for 30 minutes to 1 hour & rinse off with water. Mix the amla powder with Shikakai powder and Henna powder for even better results.

btw: i am more interested in brown rather than red so i don't mind adding amla to henna mixes. i've never done it myself tho. i have Nupur henna (itching to use it) and it has alla that mixed in so i'm not really gonna think about ratios... what i can say tho is that if i were to mix it i wouldn't reduce my henna... no need really. just add the amla to your regular henna amt.

NYDee

My mix is very simple. I use it to turn my color 4 hair to color 1. My thin strands suffered massive breakage from Indigo so I went back to my original Indian woman recommendation for dark hair (She said to use more Amla than Henna in the mix to get dark hair). I found using a lot of Brahmi and keeping my mix for 24 hours gives me even darker result. I put mine on top of my fridge toward the back.

I used a measuring cup and spoon.
Henna - 1/3 cup
Amla - 1/2 cup
Brahmi – 60ml

I no longer add lemon because it's drying.

tapioca_pudding

I've been lurking in this thread :look: :lol: And I've been wanting to henna for a min. I am natural, color treated (red). Last night I used henna + hemp seed oil + hot water + GVP Matrix Biolage Balm. I didn't measure, just randomly dumped stuff in a bowl lol.. I used a whole box of henna, and just added the rest of the stuff til it was a good consistency, then put it all over my hair. I didn't let it 'release', I put it on directly to my shampoo'd hair. I left it on for about 4 hours, while I cleaned up, lifted weights. I rinsed it out and I swear I had color release. My hair is already various subtle shades of red, but it's... I dunno, not brighter. Richer? More visible. The highlights that I have are deeper, if that makes sense. I'm not mad, I just wasn't expecting any color change since I didn't let the dye release.

Anywho so on to the results - immediately after rinsing I noticed my hair hanging more, and my curls were clumped and more defined. My hair felt amazing, soft but stronger. I shampoo'd my hair in the shower then did an overnight DC w/ just the Biolage balm. This morning I rinsed and I really really like my hair. I'm wearing a wash n go now and there's no frizz in sight, and my curls are hanging ever so slightly (I'm 8 months post relaxer so my hair is still short). I froze the rest of my henna mix, so I will likely do it again next week and do it every other week from there to see how my hair responds. But I really like it. :) I may add yogurt or honey next time.

Pompous Blue

I've been lurking in this thread :look: :lol: And I've been wanting to henna for a min. I am natural, color treated (red). Last night I used henna + hemp seed oil + hot water + GVP Matrix Biolage Balm. I didn't measure, just randomly dumped stuff in a bowl lol.. I used a whole box of henna, and just added the rest of the stuff til it was a good consistency, then put it all over my hair. I didn't let it 'release', I put it on directly to my shampoo'd hair. I left it on for about 4 hours, while I cleaned up, lifted weights. I rinsed it out and I swear I had color release. My hair is already various subtle shades of red, but it's... I dunno, not brighter. Richer? More visible. The highlights that I have are deeper, if that makes sense. I'm not mad, I just wasn't expecting any color change since I didn't let the dye release.

Anywho so on to the results - immediately after rinsing I noticed my hair hanging more, and my curls were clumped and more defined. My hair felt amazing, soft but stronger. I shampoo'd my hair in the shower then did an overnight DC w/ just the Biolage balm. This morning I rinsed and I really really like my hair. I'm wearing a wash n go now and there's no frizz in sight, and my curls are hanging ever so slightly (I'm 8 months post relaxer so my hair is still short). I froze the rest of my henna mix, so I will likely do it again next week and do it every other week from there to see how my hair responds. But I really like it. :) I may add yogurt or honey next time.
tapioca_pudding
4 hours was plenty of time for the dye to release and infuse into your strands. There is a misconception that henna takes hours to release its dye. With certain brands of henna, the dye starts to release after a 1/2 hour to an hour.

tapioca_pudding

Pompous Blue thanks! I didn't know that, I def thought you had to let the henna 'brew' overnight for it to release the dye. So that makes sense, plus I had a baggie on too so the heat prolly helped. Learned something new. :)

Thank you!

greenandchic

nubiennze nzeee

nzeee is right about Cassia not having the staying power and strengthening as henna, but it is softening to my hair. When I rinse out Cassia, my hair is much more soft than it is with henna. I don't have to use gloves and worry about staining, FWIW. I mainly use henna due to the time involved and price. Its just a better use of my time and money spent.

coyacoy

i agree that cassia, while it is a GREAT conditioner - does not thicken the strands as well as the henna. a bit of a bummer because i jumped the gun after using cassia once and ordered up like 500 more grams. o well, i am certain i will use them, but should have probably waited for it to go on sale or something since i don't use it as often as the henna.

Candy828

i agree that cassia, while it is a GREAT conditioner - does not thicken the strands as well as the henna. a bit of a bummer because i jumped the gun after using cassia once and ordered up like 500 more grams. o well, i am certain i will use them, but should have probably waited for it to go on sale or something since i don't use it as often as the henna.

Since it is a great conditioner, you can always mix a little into your henna. That's what I do when I am trying to use up product.

tajaun

Has anyone used Bought Godrej Nupur Mehendi Powder 9 Herbs Blend, what is it?????? is it henna??? or do u use it in addition to henna????

MotionThickness

tajaun

I use Nupur henna and I LOVE it! To answer your question, yes it is henna. The "9" in the product name represents several different herbs that have been added to strengthen and fortify the hair. You do not have to use additional henna with it.

I say if you're considering trying it, go for it! It doesn't disappoint.

HTH!

Sent from my HTC EVO

nikkibrown

I want to henna my hair, but my hair is protein sensitive and I am so afraid. I've had grays since my early 20's and I used to do rinses every 6-8 weeks (when I was relaxed), but I'm trying to do something more natural. I'm still debating with myself about henna.

I think you should try it! just do a small part of your hair, like a test run and then if you have it then go from here and if not well, it was just a small test so! win win :) naturalmollire.com is having a sale on henna i think it 25% off jamila 2011 henna with code " jamila25%" or you can go to your local indian store and they should have henna there! Good luck!!

ChocoKitty

Just did my best henna treatment ever this past Friday. My mix consisted of 17-18oz of room temp distilled water and 4 pinches of citric acid to 3 boxes of Jamila henna. It seems like it started releasing instantly.

I placed it in the deep freezer overnight. Took it out the next morning before leaving for work (sat out for approx. 8.5 hours). At application time the consistency was cool and creamy with a slight stickiness to it. I applied it to "dirty" hair that was spritzed with plain distilled water. I let it sit on my head for about 3 hrs wrapped in plastic wrap and 2 plastic conditioning caps-with no heat. I soaked it off in a full bathtub of water. Then I conditioner washed under shower several times-3 applications of Desset Essence fragrance free conditioner and 2 applications of Lekair cholesterol. No heat applied! After my final rinse my hair was *super* buttery, glossy, thick and silky to the touch. :lick: Detangling was a breeze.:grin: I usually deep condition a couple of days afterward. But I have not felt a need to do this at all this time around.

I will be adding distilled water and citric acid to my simple mix from now on. I also believe that the addition of citric acid helped my hair retain its curl and improved the consistency of the paste. My color seems a bit darker but that may be a result of me returning to dabur amla oil recently.

greenandchic

I did a henna/indigo treatment Saturday night (rinsed out yesterday morning) and it was so difficult getting it out of my hair! I rinsed for 10 minutes, cowashed twice, DCed for two hours (went to the gym) and rinsed again and its still coming out of my hair.

I used Yemeni Henna Powder and indigo from Henna Sooq. I guess I should stick with Jamila henna.

lana

So I have a question...I'm texlaxed and want to use Henna for the darker, richer color that one would get from a black rinse. I found some Henna at my local health food store and almost bought it...It was in a jar, but what stopped me was that it said it adds "texture" to the hair over time. Well I have some thick 4a/b hair...I don't really need additional "texture".

So...has that been your experience? If it added texture what does that mean exactly. Did it thicken the strand or make the strand curlier? I don't want curlier hair. I want darker hair. So I'm trying to determine if Henna is for me.

juliehp

I finally put the henna in last night. I added coconut milk and lavender eo to the original coconut milk mix. Yes, I procrastinated. Each night that I was ready, something came up, last night it was a ballet recital for my niece that slipped my mind, the nights before, too tired.
Applied it to freshly shampooed and clarified damp hair. The mix was thick, thicker than I usually use. Application was basically mess free! Each time I do it I get better at it. :). Did my stubborn patch of silver and front airline first, then moved from the back to the front in sections. I asked my DH to to wrap my head in Saran wrap very tight, put on 2 plastic caps, a lightweight turban, and 2 beanies to keep my head warm.
Still in bed, going to wash it out sometime this afternoon.. :)

Last edited: