Do You HAVE To Do A Moisturizing DC After A Henna GLOSS?

CocoGlow

I know that most henna glosses are not supposed to be as drying as regular henna treatments, so I wanted to know if it was a good idea to skip the Moisturizing DC after a henna GLOSS?

I'm scared to try it for fear that my hair may suffer ...but I figure that if I am putting a bunch of moisturizing ingredients in the henna gloss, I can get away w/ just doing one treatment....

What do you think?

Lavendar

I NEVER need to DC after my henna gloss. I just "wash" out the henna with my cheapie conditioner and when I feel it's all out, I use my regular rinse-type conditioner (Elucence MB or Hairveda MC Pro) for about 5 minutes then rinse and style with my leave-ins. My avatar pic hairstyle was done right after a henna gloss with no deep condition necessary.

JustKiya

It depends on what else I've been doing to my hair. If I go into the gloss with a well moisturized head, then I don't. Usually though, my hair needs that extra dose of moisture, afterwards.

I'd say try it without, and let it dry, and see how it feels - that'll be the easiest way to tell for SURE whether it needs the DC or not...

CocoGlow

Thanks ladies!

So it seems like I should at least do co-wash afterwards and really just see how my hair feels to determine if I should DC afterwards...

Would you ladies mind sharing your henna gloss recipes?

I am having a hard time distinguishing between a henna GLOSS and a henna treatment w/ oils & humectants added..

Are you using less henna w/ a lot of conditioner + additional ingredients?

I am assuming that instead of a thick green paste, it looks more like a bunch of conditioner w/ like a few tablespoons of green henna powder in it..I'm a little lost...

Do you get any color from the glosses or is it strictly for strengthening/shine benefits?

Thanks!

JustKiya

Would you ladies mind sharing your henna gloss recipes?

Are you using less henna w/ a lot of conditioner + additional ingredients?

Do you get any color from the glosses or is it strictly for strengthening/shine benefits?

Thanks!

I call mine a gloss because there is roughly an equal amount of henna and conditioner. I started doing it that way to stretch my henna, and found I loved how it felt (and how it rinsed out!) and just never stopped. I use 1/4 cup of henna, about 1/4 cup of water, and at least 3/4 cup of conditioner....

All the color I've gotten, I've gotten from the above mix. I can't REALLY call it a gloss, and I can't really call it a straight henna mix either, ya know?

mistifying

My henna gloss recipe:

3-4 tbsp henna
2 tbsp mositurizing conditioner
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp amla oil
1 tbsp castor/grapeseed/olive oil
1 tbsp aloe gel
1 tbsp hibiscus powder
1/4 cup aloe juice

Lavendar

My henna gloss consists of 100 g henna, very hot tap water, V05 conditioner, and Lustrasilk shea butter/mango conditioner (maybe 1/3 cup each)...simple and easy.

ETA: The color is just as strong as a henna treatment w/o conditioner and the leftovers freeze very well. Occasionally, I may add coconut oil or bhringraj oil, but most of the time I don't.

Last edited:

CocoGlow

WOW..thanks ladies...you don't know how much this makes my day!!

I was concerned that I would not get color results from adding so much conditioner so I was sticking to using mainly henna w/ some additional ingredients...but it just was not moisturizing enough--leaving my hair feeling like straw!!

Now that I know that I can get both the color and strengthening/shine benefits from using glosses, I will definitely play around w/ your recipes and do henna glosses for here on out!!!

Thank you soooo much :grouphug3:

Lavendar

Forgot to mention: To get great color, it would be best to use conditioners without silicones or heavy oils already in them.:yep:

CocoGlow

Forgot to mention: To get great color, it would be best to use conditioners without silicones or heavy oils already in them.:yep:

hmmm..the only conditioner I've been using lately is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa...I usually use it for co-washes and as a base for DC's, but it is not too heavy and can easily be diluted a little as a leave-in

It is sold as a regular rinse-out conditioner like Suave or VO5 but it has a slightly thicker consistency than those 2...I know it is silicone-free...

do you think the oils in it are too heavy for a henna gloss?

Ingredients: Purified water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit citrus, tocopherol (vitamin E), acetamide MEA, cetyl alcohol, ctric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance

JustKiya

hmmm..the only conditioner I've been using lately is Trader Joe's Nourish Spa...I usually use it for co-washes and as a base for DC's, but it is not too heavy and can easily be diluted a little as a leave-in

It is sold as a regular rinse-out conditioner like Suave or VO5 but it has a slightly thicker consistency than those 2...I know it is silicone-free...

do you think the oils in it are too heavy for a henna gloss?

Ingredients: Purified water, organic rosemary oil, organic valencia orange citrus, organic mango, organic lemongrass, organic ginko biloba, organic echinacea, organic willow bark, organic sea kelp, organic chamomile flower, organic textured soy protein, organic lavender, organic grapefruit citrus, tocopherol (vitamin E), acetamide MEA, cetyl alcohol, ctric acid, methylparaben, propylparaben, botanical fragrance

Honestly, I use the cheapest cone-free conditioner I can - usually White Rain or Suave Naturals - I suppose I might get better results with a better conditioner, but :look: I'm cheap. :lol:

CocoGlow

Honestly, I use the cheapest cone-free conditioner I can - usually White Rain or Suave Naturals - I suppose I might get better results with a better conditioner, but :look: I'm cheap. :lol:

LOL..I'm cheap too girl! that's why I love the TJ's conditioner b/c it is only $2.49 -16.9oz but it feels like a more upscale conditioner...many people have compared it to the Giovanni conditioner that costs more--and when I compared the ingredients they are very similar!

But if TJ's were to ever disappear I would go back to Suave but I would definitely have to add things to it to make it work like TJ's....it has spoiled my hair! :yep:

I can't wait to do a henna gloss!!!

westNDNbeauty

I know this thread is super old but I just reviewed the henna gloss bar (on my blog) from henna sooq and my hair was so dang soft!

I've made homemade henna glosses before and none has ever made my hair feel like this. I'm plotting how to buy a few bars since they are so expensive. Maybe I'll figure out a way to make my own. Who knows.

But a follow up moisturizing DC def was not needed, but I did complete one out of habit. Based on experience thus far, when you use henna, especially a pure henna treatment, a moisturizing DC which is based from honey is your best bet to ensuring your hair returns to its normal softness.